Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 09:09 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,181,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Why waste the machinery on creating two different versions of the same thing, only one being much more practical than the other and oneven confuses people?
The MBTA doesn't print its own cards, so there's no "inefficiency" with machinery. It offers two different fare products that are each more practical to a different kind of customer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 10:04 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,319 times
For whom is the Charlie ticket more practical? Users of it are charged more per ride, and it's a much less durable material on which to store funds. I'm convinced it exists as a mistake tax.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:38 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
The MBTA doesn't print its own cards, so there's no "inefficiency" with machinery. It offers two different fare products that are each more practical to a different kind of customer.
What????

It doesn't matter what company prints the cards. The MBTA actively contracts with some company out there to make a redundant and confusing product.

What is your point? How is the ticket more practical? It takes a longer time to insert in the bus and holds everyone up. It can rip, where as the card doesn't. It is much lighter and not as easy to find if you throw it in a bag for example, and it makes you spend more money. What different kinds of customers are you talking about: The dumb ones, the new transplants, or the unfortunate people who thought they were buying a card and got a ticket instead? Those are the only possibilities as far as I can tell.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:05 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Really? Tourists and short term visitors almost exclusively use the ticket. The cards aren't available at all stations and people just doing a single round trip or one way aren't going to fret over the small difference in price. We get millions of tourists. We get even more one-time users. I've bought a ticket when I forgot my Charlie card before. Almost every transit system has a similar system of ticketing.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:31 PM

9,875 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Really? Tourists and short term visitors almost exclusively use the ticket. The cards aren't available at all stations and people just doing a single round trip or one way aren't going to fret over the small difference in price. We get millions of tourists. We get even more one-time users. I've bought a ticket when I forgot my Charlie card before. Almost every transit system has a similar system of ticketing.
I concur. Plus it's easier for a tourist to throw away a paper ticket (or scrapbook it) versus a plastic card that might have some money left on it. The more rugged Charlie Card makes sense for regular users and the ticket is cheaper/more environmentally friendly for casual users.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:35 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Because they don't know any better.

The cards should be available at all stations because they're better. The fact that they're not doesn't mean that the tickets are better.

Why would tourists prefer a ticket to a card? So they can delay entrance to trains and buses and feel like they got the wrong thing when everyone else is going quickly and hearing the ding when they tap (the ticket makes an altogether different sound- confusing).

DC metro I'm almost positive only has cards.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:00 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,319 times
Quote:
I won't say they don't exist, but I've never seen any system offering two methods of loadable transit cards with two different fare structures. Single rides, multi-rides, time-specific windows, etc., sure, but the function of the Charlie Ticket and the Charlie Card is exactly the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I concur. Plus it's easier for a tourist to throw away a paper ticket (or scrapbook it) versus a plastic card that might have some money left on it. The more rugged Charlie Card makes sense for regular users and the ticket is cheaper/more environmentally friendly for casual users.
The paper Charlie Ticket is just as likely to have some money left on it.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:33 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,791,376 times
I still have a few NYC subway tokens!

Old 03-10-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
DC metro I'm almost positive only has cards.
That is true but you have to pay $2 for one.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
The paper Charlie Ticket is just as likely to have some money left on it.
It's possible but from my experience, the casual user seems to buy exact fare. I have friends that have come to visit and used the T. They often just throw the ticket away as it usually has no money on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston