Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 10:22 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,383,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
In terms of how Hockey is ingrained into the culture of the area more so than any outside Minnesota, its a valid reply.

1/3rd of College Hockey is based in New England, 8 in the MSA, 4 in the city. Boston is as much a Hockey town as anywhere in the United States, and more so than Pittsburgh, Chicago, Philly and NYC.

There are also no level that Basketball is more popular other than recreationally. at the HS, College, and Pro Level Hockey is more popular. Just because you ignore it doesn't mean its isn't true.

I where I went to high school basketball got more fans than the hockey team. The next towns over Oxford, Millbury and Leicester didn't have a hockey team so I have to imagine their basketball teams drew more fans.

There are lots of high schools without hockey teams, I don't know of any without basketball teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 10:35 AM

13,946 posts, read 14,845,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
[/b]

I where I went to high school basketball got more fans than the hockey team. The next towns over Oxford, Millbury and Leicester didn't have a hockey team so I have to imagine their basketball teams drew more fans.

There are lots of high schools without hockey teams, I don't know of any without basketball teams.
The Hockey state finals draw over 2x the crowd/game.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:54 PM

2,912 posts, read 5,131,847 times
Quote:
In terms of how Hockey is ingrained into the culture of the area more so than any outside Minnesota, its a valid reply.

1/3rd of College Hockey is based in New England, 8 in the MSA, 4 in the city. Boston is as much a Hockey town as anywhere in the United States, and more so than Pittsburgh, Chicago, Philly and NYC.

There are also no level that Basketball is more popular other than recreationally. at the HS, College, and Pro Level Hockey is more popular. Just because you ignore it doesn't mean its isn't true.
If BC or UMass made a run to the Sweet 16 or beyond, there's no comparison of the interest and excitement that would generate beyond their student bodies onto the front of the local sports pages here...not so with BC or BU hockey, though the Globeobe will give it one of the top sports stories and a photo for a Frozen Four appearance.

And I think, as someone said earlier, that the Beanpot is losing popularity. I don't believe the final game has sold out in recent years? One was a cancelled game due to a snowstorm in that bad winter recently, plus I THINK the boxscore for BU-BC last year (was THAT the Final, can't even recall) only had 12,000+ out of 17,000 capacity? If so, that's sad..and Hockey East finals seem to never sell out on a weekend, no less? And I think last year's Frozen Fenway games over a couple of weekends were sparsely attended, guessing a few thousand out of 36,000 plus Fenway seats. Wasn't there, so could be wrong. The first set of games were popular years ago, but the novelty has warn off?

Lots and lots of Celtics talk on local sports radio again this week..Felger on 98.5 FM again uttered he'll squeeze in his "Bruins minute" of talk, and he loves Hockey. He can't get excited about this year's Bruins team.

Though, I see almost as much Bruins hats and shirts on the subway and streets of where I navigate as Celtics stuff, maybe more. Maybe not for much longer if Celtics buzz really takes off for the next five plus years. And those Celtics and Bruins license plates...I always seem to see more Bruins plates, but it could be where and when I circulate.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:00 PM

2,912 posts, read 5,131,847 times
Quote:

If BC or UMass made a run to the Sweet 16 or beyond, there's no comparison of the interest and excitement that would generate beyond their student bodies onto the front of the local sports pages here...not so with BC or BU hockey, though the Globe will give it one of the top sports stories and a photo for a Frozen Four appearance.

And I think, as someone said earlier, that the Beanpot is losing popularity. I don't believe the final game has sold out in recent years? One was a cancelled game due to a snowstorm in that bad winter recently, plus I THINK the boxscore for BU-BC last year (was THAT the Final, can't even recall) only had 12,000+ out of 17,000 capacity? If so, that's sad, and Hockey East finals seem to never sell out on a weekend, no less? And I think last year's Frozen Fenway games over a couple of weekends were sparsely attended, guessing a few thousand out of 36,000 plus Fenway seats. Wasn't there, so could be wrong. The first set of games were popular years ago, but the novelty has warn off?

Lots and lots of Celtics talk on local sports radio again this week..Felger on 98.5 FM again uttered he'll squeeze in his "Bruins minute" of talk -- and he loves hockey. He can't get excited about this year's Bruins team.

Though, I see almost as many Bruins hats and shirts on the subway and streets of where I navigate as Celtics stuff, maybe more. Maybe not for much longer if Celtics buzz really takes off for the next five plus years. And those Celtics and Bruins license plates...I always seem to see more Bruins plates, but it could be where and when I circulate. Of course, prevalence of Sox and Patriots attire blows both Bruins and Celtics away in popularity.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:48 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,331,299 times
Quote:
That because you live in Brighton and work in academia so you are surrounded by people from not Boston.

Some games at the Beanpot, Frozen Fenwayand some HEA championship games exceed the combined student population of these schools. More than any College Bball event can say.

The numbers support my argument.
Lol you apparently don't know which part of brighton I live in (hint: not comm ave, not next to bc, no it's not allston, yes there are other parts, not that you would know, as I likely know more of the city than you) or my past with the red Sox, freedom trail tour guide, or as a teacher. Give me a break dude, you don't know me. Not even a little bit. If you would like to know a bit more about your hometown (allegedly, you strike me as very suburban, just come across that way I don't know) feel free to DM though.

I agree, Boston is not much of a basketball town either. I guess that's a decent counterpoint. Thanks.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Lol you apparently don't know which part of brighton I live in (hint: not comm ave, not next to bc, no it's not allston, yes there are other parts, not that you would know, as I likely know more of the city than you) or my past with the red Sox, freedom trail tour guide, or as a teacher. Give me a break dude, you don't know me. Not even a little bit. If you would like to know a bit more about your hometown (allegedly, you strike me as very suburban, just come across that way I don't know) feel free to DM though.

I agree, Boston is not much of a basketball town either. I guess that's a decent counterpoint. Thanks.
I grew up in Orient Heights, my back to my Grandfather grew up in Eastie too, but we moved to the Suburbs for High School.

I don't need someone from Ohio lecturing me about my town.

And yeah it's a safe assumption transplants tend to associate with transplants, it's like the #1 complaint of transplants.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
If BC or UMass made a run to the Sweet 16 or beyond, there's no comparison of the interest and excitement that would generate beyond their student bodies onto the front of the local sports pages here...not so with BC or BU hockey, though the Globeobe will give it one of the top sports stories and a photo for a Frozen Four appearance.

And I think, as someone said earlier, that the Beanpot is losing popularity. I don't believe the final game has sold out in recent years? One was a cancelled game due to a snowstorm in that bad winter recently, plus I THINK the boxscore for BU-BC last year (was THAT the Final, can't even recall) only had 12,000+ out of 17,000 capacity? If so, that's sad..and Hockey East finals seem to never sell out on a weekend, no less? And I think last year's Frozen Fenway games over a couple of weekends were sparsely attended, guessing a few thousand out of 36,000 plus Fenway seats. Wasn't there, so could be wrong. The first set of games were popular years ago, but the novelty has warn off?

Lots and lots of Celtics talk on local sports radio again this week..Felger on 98.5 FM again uttered he'll squeeze in his "Bruins minute" of talk, and he loves Hockey. He can't get excited about this year's Bruins team.

Though, I see almost as much Bruins hats and shirts on the subway and streets of where I navigate as Celtics stuff, maybe more. Maybe not for much longer if Celtics buzz really takes off for the next five plus years. And those Celtics and Bruins license plates...I always seem to see more Bruins plates, but it could be where and when I circulate.
Usually the Beanpot draws 15-16,000, which is pretty good for an off campus weeknight event. HEA Championships tend to draw 12-13k or so, which is comparable to say the ACC championship or BIG 10 championship games this past year for Basketball.

Didn't BC go to the elite 8 in like 2007? I don't remember any hype.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:13 PM

1,359 posts, read 865,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

Ha! You are a clown.

I think the part of Brighton you live in is awesome. Rep hard.

Boston has a better hockey scene than 98% of the US. Period. Minnesota, awesome, sure. Find another metro area with eight division one programs between men and women. It doesn't exist.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I grew up in Orient Heights, my back to my Grandfather grew up in Eastie too, but we moved to the Suburbs for High School.

I don't need someone from Ohio lecturing me about my town.

And yeah it's a safe assumption transplants tend to associate with transplants, it's like the #1 complaint of transplants.

"My town" - Melrose? Winchester? Woburn? I don't claim knowledge of suburbs. Maybe far flung suburbanites are into hockey, I will admit that could be correct. I am speaking of urban Boston-Cambridge-Somerville-Brookline-Quincy other bordering areas mostly, ie the actual "city" area.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
Ha! You are a clown.

I think the part of Brighton you live in is awesome. Rep hard.

Boston has a better hockey scene than 98% of the US. Period. Minnesota, awesome, sure. Find another metro area with eight division one programs between men and women. It doesn't exist.
Boston is an underwhelming hockey city. Sorry, this has certainly hit a nerve. Happy to drop it.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 10-23-2017 at 11:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston