Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2017, 09:12 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Didn't see or hear any rating for last night's Warriors vs. Celtics, but then I missed most of Felger and Mazz today...Felger often mentions the ratings.

Earlier in the week, he mentioned the Celtics average rating at about 3.85 vs. about 2.5 for the Bruins. I'm surprised it's that close but it'll widen quickly.

Although, he said some high profile games have been on TNT including opening night against the Cavs which likely was very high....so the local cable rating probably doesn't reflect it, and that's why they're suppressed a bit so far.

He said the game against the Lakers was "almost an 8." So I'm sure the Warriors game may have hit at least a 10, so in reality the ratings are over 5 if TNT and local stations are included. It's just a matter of time until the local cable rating hits a 6, anyway. The highest Bruins NESN regular season rating, I think, was an early January afternoon game rematch against Vancouver in 2012 after winning the Cup, around a 9.0. I don't think their overall NESN average hit a 5.0 that season, it was around a 4.5 or so.

Felger laughed at the Bruins vs. Anaheim rating the other night, though he watched. It was a Zero point seven three! He boasted how his local cable sportsnight show beat that, by just a bit (even though his time slot was more favorable).

In fairness, he didn't mention that, of course, the late Anaheim start was a factor; when the Celtics go out west, their ratings will drop a bit no matter how well they're playing now.

Several local sports talk hosts have already said the Celtics are now No.2 in town, the Red Sox are number 3.

Lol Red Sox are still #2 and it really isn't close. The Red Sox average a 6.00 over the season even a 3.8 is not really particularly close considering the Red Sox play 2x as many games.

Also take into account the NHL backloads rivals, the Bruins have played the Pens 0 times, Habs 0 times, Rags once, Flyers 0 times, Detroit 0 times, and have had a west heavy schedule with 3 away games in the Eastern Time zone.

But yes Right now the Celtics have more hype than the Bruins right now but that is what happens when one is the best in the league and the other sucks.

Also "stealing" marquee matchups happens all the time unless you are a team like the Hurricanes or Bucks, NESN didn't get the Rangers or Capitals game, NESN never gets Yankees games, and often random Sunday and Wednesday night games that ESPN/FOX likes.

Last edited by btownboss4; 11-18-2017 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 10:17 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,438,355 times
What is it now?

Old 02-08-2018, 10:25 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
What is it now?
Celtics are doing great so the fair weather fans are back.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:24 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
The Bruins have had an incredibly impressive run in the last couple months. They looked like a bubble team and now they are right up in the top echelons of the NHL. The Bruins have a better chance of winning the Stanley Cup than the Celtics winning the NBA Championship.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:25 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
from what i see

1. Patriots
2. Red Sox
3. Bruins
4. Celtics
5. Revolution

Old 02-10-2018, 12:53 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,987 times
The Patriots have been so good lately that they're number one. I wonder how high they'd be if we had some losing seasons.

Back in the 90s the pats almost moved. If it weren't for Kraft they probably would have.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:42 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
The Patriots have been so good lately that they're number one. I wonder how high they'd be if we had some losing seasons.

Back in the 90s the pats almost moved. If it weren't for Kraft they probably would have.
the week leading up to the superbowl was like a festival for philly and was so-so in new england. when the sixers were in the finals against l.a. in the early 2000's, the eagles still got top billing. the sox still sell out with average teams.
the boston patriots did move closer to the road island border. i think eventhough they are in the same media market they are somewhat outside of the red sox/celtics (/even the bruins) bubble. they are still low on priority on weei and espn radio boston.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:42 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
the week leading up to the superbowl was like a festival for philly and was so-so in new england. when the sixers were in the finals against l.a. in the early 2000's, the eagles still got top billing. the sox still sell out with average teams.
the boston patriots did move closer to the road island border. i think eventhough they are in the same media market they are somewhat outside of the red sox/celtics (/even the bruins) bubble. they are still low on priority on weei and espn radio boston.
Not sure what you mean by low on priority on Boston radio. You're referring to the Patriots? All the various dramas after the Super Bowl loss resulted in packed radio commentary for days this week.

You'd never know Boston has contenders in the NBA and NHL at the moment. It'll at last change from now to the end of the playoffs starting with the Paul Pierce retirement ceremony against the Cavs today...finally the Patriots talk will dissipate a bit until the draft.

I still see a similar percentage of Bruins hats, jackets, etc. versus Celtics garb at least in the areas I play and work. If the Celtics outnumber the Bruins, it's close but it could be in the Bruibs favor; that's remarkable because as of early November, there was to be no hockey season.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:55 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Not sure what you mean by low on priority on Boston radio. You're referring to the Patriots? All the various dramas after the Super Bowl loss resulted in packed radio commentary for days this week.

You'd never know Boston has contenders in the NBA and NHL at the moment. It'll at last change from now to the end of the playoffs starting with the Paul Pierce retirement ceremony against the Cavs today...finally the Patriots talk will dissipate a bit until the draft.

I still see a similar percentage of Bruins hats, jackets, etc. versus Celtics garb at least in the areas I play and work. If the Celtics outnumber the Bruins, it's close but it could be in the Bruibs favor; that's remarkable because as of early November, there was to be no hockey season.
The Celtics have been a very mediocre team the last 2 months. The Bruins on the other hand have played elite hockey. Celtics are really starting to feel the lack of any legit offensive threat not named Kyrie Irving.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:48 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
I listen to 985 and EEI the Patriots are by far the most popular. Right now the Patriots are in the offseason and both stations spend more on the Pats than the Bruins, Celtics or Red Sox. I feel like at least 2 hours of each 4 hour show is on "is Gronk retiring?" "do Bill & Brady hate each other?" Right now I feel the the Red Sox are the clear 4th in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston