Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:07 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,422,100 times

Advertisements

Just read recently this article by Dan Shaunasty Dan Shaughnessy: This spring, Boston’s Garden already in full bloom - The Boston Globe

I was curious from locals on a few things.

1) Is it true you can be either a Bruins or Celtics, but not really a big time fan of both?
2) How has the Bruins and Celtics popularity been comparatively? I know back in 2008 Celtics were dominating and the Bruins were low, then post 2011 the Bruins overtook and the Celtics once they rebuilt feel down...but how about this season...following one where the Celtics made the playoffs (albeit it swept) the Bruins missed...and now where the Celtics have been a borderline middle class contender?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 10:11 AM

41,940 posts, read 36,707,217 times
Bruins, and hockey fans in general, are more fanatical, despite being a smaller pool in the largest of times.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:21 AM

15,681 posts, read 20,176,595 times
I find Celtics fans are few and far between, especially during the lean years.

I used to be bigger into bball when younger, but find myself drifting away. Really these days all I have time for is football.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:50 AM

2,912 posts, read 5,122,332 times
As of a couple of months ago, Michael Felger of 98.5 FM, The Sports Hub afternoon drive (a big Bruins fan, hates NBA), said the B's still had a big advantage (almost double?) in local TV ratings. Even another host said there's still not a real big buzz with the Celtics, at least as of a month ago.

Yes, they are getting sellouts even on weeknights, but I think TV ratings can be more indicative than attendance. On StubHub, most Bruins games "starting at" prices are much higher than Celtics most games -- though perhaps some of the top Celtics seats could cost more than Brruins tix?

I see a bit more people sporting Celtics hats and coats in recent months. I'd say I still see more Bruins gear, but that could depend on the part of town or suburbs.

But the Celtics will usually have the headline and larger photo in the local papers if they're playing at home and the Bruins are playing away on the same night. The reverse also seems true in most cases.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:47 AM

11,045 posts, read 12,310,425 times
The hockey-basketball divide is real, and not just in Boston. It boils down to just fundamentally different people who prefer the sports- you see this same dynamic in (northern) cities with basketball and hockey teams, such as Minneapolis, Chicago, Philadelphia, DC, etc.

I'm a hockey guy. I will watch the Bruins/Red Wings/Panthers/Blue Jackets ANYONE playing hockey. The game is just more intense, and it's a real team sport. There is incredible competition. Look at basketball nowadays: everyone is impressed with Golden State because they win all the time. However, the real reason they might win 74 games is because the rest of the league is AWFUL. There are 4 teams in the NBA worth watching- Golden State, San Antonio, Cleveland, and Oklahoma City (in that order) and those guys only play anything resembling defense when they play each other. It's all just drama queens playing hero ball. This makes it hard to get too personally connected to the sport for hockey fans. NBA fans are typically fair-weather, whereas hockey people love hockey, even when their team isn't so good. Of course, attendance goes down, but the fans are still showing up to a larger degree than bad NBA team's fans do. I've been to some pretty silent Celtics games, never been to such an emotionless and quiet Bruins game.

I realize basketball-inclined folks will dispute this, but I feel my opinions are shared by many who consider themselves "hockey" guys. I of course certainly don't mind anyone enjoying basketball, as I also do. Just my perspective.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:57 PM

3,075 posts, read 5,619,629 times
Depends on who is winning, then that is who most follow. Also helps if one team hasn't won a championship in awhile.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:46 PM

8,371 posts, read 4,431,423 times
The demographics of the fans at games is much different. Celtics games have a more wealthy and corporate crowd with many from the outer suburbs. Bruins fans tend to be more blue collar and they draw much of their crowd from the more urban locals in and around Boston.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:45 PM

13,941 posts, read 14,814,510 times
I would say the Bruins are very unpopular amoungst their own fans at this point, seeing how they seem like they don't care a bit (3-8-1 over the last 12 games of the Season) about playoffs or winning or anything.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:41 AM

2,912 posts, read 5,122,332 times
Very disappointed and disgusted fanbase now.

Although, the two sports stations were burning up with post mortems on the team and Coach Julien's fate most of the day, a day before the Fenway Home Opener.

So at least they're still passionate and do care, for now at least.

But I doubt their sellout streak of 294 games goes beyond opening night next season.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:38 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,422,100 times
Now that the Celtics are in the playoffs, and a decent seed, while the Bruins are out again....are the Celts on top?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston