U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
Yes 22 27.50%
No 35 43.75%
Somewhat 23 28.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2016, 10:31 PM

1,730 posts, read 2,950,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
I drove a cab for awhile in the 70s-- long time ago-- and was very uncomfortable with the prevailing practice of other white cabbies I knew then -- at Checker Taxi and Boston Cab -- who would not stop for blacks. I didn't always stop either but I often did. In those racially heated times, I nearly paid for it with my life after picking up a couple of guys on Huntington Avenue who went out to Circuit Street in Roxbury. I was held up with knife to my neck. Yikes! But who knows, treating these guys with respect may have made the difference between losing my money and losing my life. White passengers weren't always so great either. Some would beat the fare. I remember two middle aged African American women getting out of the theatre -- Schubert or Charles Playhouse or something -- and asking to be taken "uptown," by which they meant one of the fancier streets of Roxbury off Elm Hill and Walnut Avenues. I have never before or since heard anyone call that area "uptown."
I was at a financial district cab stand last fall. Of course, 99% of passengers there are educated, mostly white but other races also, but going to safe areas.

I was third or fourth in line and was startled when my passenger door suddenly opened.. Well, a 20-year-old male needed to go to Egleston Square off Washington Street near Seaver Street on the JP-Roxbury line -- not that tough nowadays but still not a favorite area of mine. The first two or more drivers had rejected him. It was no later than 10 p.m.

One could say it was his destination. Nope, I'm sure if he were going to Quincy or Brighton, they'd still refuse him.

Oh, not only did he PAY in full, he tipped three dollars plus, and was....surprise!...well behaved. He wasn't dressed professionally and had a baseball cap (which likely didn't help his cause as a dark-skinned young male?).

My last three or four bad incidents were with white males where I had to throw them out.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 07:52 PM

83 posts, read 48,596 times
Been here for a decade and grew up in South Florida, can't say I've ever experienced any racism being Hispanic. The greater Boston area is a progressive, well educated, and globally minded place. That's not to say there is no racism, but it's basically a non-issue here.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:32 PM

12 posts, read 6,596 times
I think Boston is a pretty racist city. The busing fiasco certainly did not help things and honestly made race relations much, much worse. Up until the late 80's some housing projects were still unofficially segregated.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:44 AM

44,759 posts, read 63,072,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
More diverse, middle class areas in the metro area. Here are some areas(census tracts or census block groups) in Malden(MA median household income according to source/10-14 census info is $67,846): Census Block Group 341500-1 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 341500-3 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 341500-4 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 341400-2 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 341400-3 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 341400-4 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 341200-2 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 341200-4 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 341800-3 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 341901-1 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 341102-5 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 341902 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts (can click on block groups)

Census Tract 341700 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 341101 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 341600-1 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Everett: Census Tract 342300 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts (can click on block groups)

Census Block Group 342400-3 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Somerville: Census Block Group 351203-4 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 351500-2 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 351404-4 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 351403-1 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 351403-2 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 351300-1 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 351300-3 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 350104-3 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 350200 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts (click on block groups)

Census Tract 350300 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts (?)(click on block groups)

Medford: Census Tract 339801 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts (click on block groups)

Census Tract 339802 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts (click on block groups)

Census Tract 339700 in Middlesex County, Massachusetts (check block groups)

That is it for now.
More, with 60k being the lower level for "middle class". Reason for doing that: Are you in the US middle class? Try our income calculator | Pew Research Center

Randolph: Census Tract 420202 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 420100 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 420301-2 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts
Census Block Group 420301-4 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts (both are in the same census tract)

Census Tract 420302 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 420201-1 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Old 09-02-2016, 07:53 AM

44,759 posts, read 63,072,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I had a bunch of census block groups and census tracts for places like Revere, Lynn, Chelsea and Brockton that were diverse and could be viewed as middle class(median household income of at least 60k at the lower end due to the metro COL), but apparently I took too much time posting these examples. However, if you look at the source used, you can find such areas in those places. I also saw a predominately Hispanic census tract in the city of Boston across the river from Chelsea that could be viewed as being within the range of middle class: Census Tract 050901 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Brockton actually surprised me in terms of the amount of census tracts/block groups with median household incomes around the state and/or metro figure, if not surpassing it. I say this given its reputation, but you could find diverse, middle class areas within the city, particularly in the outer neighborhoods.
From these cities, Revere: Census Block Group 170800-4 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 170601-1 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts
Census Block Group 170601-4 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts (both are in the same census tract)

Census Block Group 170100-3 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts
Census Block Group 170100-4 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts
Census Block Group 170100-6 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts (all are in the same census tract)

Census Block Group 170200-2 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts
Census Block Group 170200-4 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts (are in the same census tract)

Census Block Group 170300-1 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts
Census Block Group 170300-3 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts
Census Block Group 170300-5 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts (in same tract)

Census Block Group 170702-2 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts
Census Block Group 170702-4 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts (in same tract)

Lynn: Census Tract 205100 in Essex County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 205300 in Essex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 205200-4 in Essex County, Massachusetts
Census Block Group 205200-5 in Essex County, Massachusetts (in same tract)

Census Block Group 205500-1 in Essex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 206300-1 in Essex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 206500-1 in Essex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 206600-2 in Essex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 206700-2 in Essex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 205500-1 in Essex County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 205900 in Essex County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 205700 in Essex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 205600-4 in Essex County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 205800-3 in Essex County, Massachusetts
Census Block Group 205800-1 in Essex County, Massachusetts (in same tract)

Census Tract 205400 in Essex County, Massachusetts

Chelsea: Census Block Group 160101-1 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts
Census Block Group 160101-2 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts (in same tract)

Census Tract 160300 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 160502-1 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 160602-2 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Keep in mind that I didn't post census tracts/census block groups that are in the high 50,000's that would probably just make the lower end of middle class as well. Here's an example: Census Tract 101101 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Another one: Census Tract 140400 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Here are some other "diverse"/have some degree of "diversity", middle class areas that weren't mentioned earlier or may not have been mentioned earlier: Census Tract 110301 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 110401 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 110502 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 110501 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 416300 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 140201 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 140202 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 402102 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 100800 in Suffolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 418200 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 416102-2 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 456200 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 456102 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 456101 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 409101 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 457100 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 456402-2 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts
Census Block Group 456402-1 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts (same tract)

Census Tract 417200 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 417502 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 417501 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 417601 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 417100 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 418003 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 418102 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 418004-2 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 417902-3 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Block Group 417901-1 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 418002 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Census Tract 419300 in Norfolk County, Massachusetts

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-02-2016 at 08:33 AM..

Old 09-04-2016, 02:22 PM

1,011 posts, read 711,327 times
I'm African American and from the South. I've come to Boston to visit friends for the summer every year for the past four years. I'm pretty sure I've experience racism while visiting Boston; I say pretty sure because what I've realized it that Bostonians are very stand offish, isolated people. Everyone's in their own world with their family, their friends and their coworkers, and that's where they like to stay. It's no oddity in the South to speak or chat with someone on the street or in the market that you've never met before; that's the warmth and natural friendliness of Southern culture. Do we have racial issues? Sure, and I have absolutely no issue acknowledging that. But not just in Boston, it's the Northeast in general that does do the striking up conversations with complete stranger on the street thing. Just not the culture I guess.

But again, by pretty sure I've experienced racism, I mean sometimes I have a bit of a hard time separating a racist experience from your run of the mill rude or stand offish Bostonian. The stares or unfriendly gestures/presence could be interpreted either way. And I've gotten plenty of both. There were instances where I knew for sure it was racism, and I have to say, sometimes you just can't argue with a person of color about whether their experience was racially charged or not. Some things cannot, and will not EVER be understood by those outside of the minority circle.

My girlfriend I come to visit every year is white; she says I'm too easily offended and overly sensitive. At this point, I just stop responding to that comment because 1) She's a native Bostonian, and therefore biased. 2) She's white and will NEVER understand how a person of color is able recognize a racial experience or how it feels. Although I find her lack of understanding curious at times, seeing as she's married to a black man and has mixed children.

At this point, whether Boston is racist or not racist, I just move on when something happens to make me think it is. It is supposedly a "liberal" blue state; I suspect that it is in fact liberal, but perhaps with exceptions. However, trying to constantly sort it out just really isn't worth the energy that could be used for something positive. And that goes for any city where there may be racist people.

I've decided Boston has too much GOOD to offer to make the racial climate a priority during my time there. You have to just except Boston for what it is: Intense, mostly white, sometimes alienated and rude, fast paced, expensive, and horribly cold in the winter. But it also has gorgeous architecture, unmatched history, is the center of the universe for education, great freakin food, museums, very walkable, awesome public transit, manageable in size, with access to Cape Code, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, and The Berkshires, which means swimming AND skiing. I meeaaann....... c'mon!!! Let's give it up people!!

Let's suffice to say, black, white, or other, I'LL BE BACK AGAIN NEXT YEAR!

Old 09-05-2016, 06:09 PM

947 posts, read 495,312 times
Why do some of the most liberal areas in the country get accused of being racist? Are some liberals really racist?

Old 09-05-2016, 06:30 PM

653 posts, read 249,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
I'm African American and from the South. I've come to Boston to visit friends for the summer every year for the past four years. I'm pretty sure I've experience racism while visiting Boston; I say pretty sure because what I've realized it that Bostonians are very stand offish, isolated people. Everyone's in their own world with their family, their friends and their coworkers, and that's where they like to stay. It's no oddity in the South to speak or chat with someone on the street or in the market that you've never met before; that's the warmth and natural friendliness of Southern culture. Do we have racial issues? Sure, and I have absolutely no issue acknowledging that. But not just in Boston, it's the Northeast in general that does do the striking up conversations with complete stranger on the street thing. Just not the culture I guess.

But again, by pretty sure I've experienced racism, I mean sometimes I have a bit of a hard time separating a racist experience from your run of the mill rude or stand offish Bostonian. The stares or unfriendly gestures/presence could be interpreted either way. And I've gotten plenty of both. There were instances where I knew for sure it was racism, and I have to say, sometimes you just can't argue with a person of color about whether their experience was racially charged or not. Some things cannot, and will not EVER be understood by those outside of the minority circle.

My girlfriend I come to visit every year is white; she says I'm too easily offended and overly sensitive. At this point, I just stop responding to that comment because 1) She's a native Bostonian, and therefore biased. 2) She's white and will NEVER understand how a person of color is able recognize a racial experience or how it feels. Although I find her lack of understanding curious at times, seeing as she's married to a black man and has mixed children.

At this point, whether Boston is racist or not racist, I just move on when something happens to make me think it is. It is supposedly a "liberal" blue state; I suspect that it is in fact liberal, but perhaps with exceptions. However, trying to constantly sort it out just really isn't worth the energy that could be used for something positive. And that goes for any city where there may be racist people.

I've decided Boston has too much GOOD to offer to make the racial climate a priority during my time there. You have to just except Boston for what it is: Intense, mostly white, sometimes alienated and rude, fast paced, expensive, and horribly cold in the winter. But it also has gorgeous architecture, unmatched history, is the center of the universe for education, great freakin food, museums, very walkable, awesome public transit, manageable in size, with access to Cape Code, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, and The Berkshires, which means swimming AND skiing. I meeaaann....... c'mon!!! Let's give it up people!!

Let's suffice to say, black, white, or other, I'LL BE BACK AGAIN NEXT YEAR!
I lived in Nashville that is where I learned to be super friendly and personable with people. Gotta kill the rude people with kindness it throws them off their game. I totally understand what you are saying, women in the South are super friendly compared to the East Coast, totally different culture.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:01 AM

65 posts, read 22,043 times
Living in Massachusetts and being a person of Hispanic ethnicity... I have to say yes. Boston is a pretty racist city. Heck, a lot of the towns and states (e.g., New Hampshire and Maine) a partial amount of those folks don't want anything to do with people that aren't Caucasian. What's even worse is that despite it being a "diverse" state.. It doesn't give equal opportunities to people that aren't white.

For example, at my last job I met a lot of Caucasian guys who had ZERO experience when it came to sales or marketing get hired. I saw a lot of Hispanic folks interviewing for the same position with some experience and weren't even considered for the role. I wonder why? I spoke with some Hispanic interviewees and they mentioned they had a decent amount of experience in sales.. This made the whole ordeal look even sketchier. Honestly, if you're not having issues at your current location don't waste your time.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:54 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,567,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Why do some of the most liberal areas in the country get accused of being racist? Are some liberals really racist?
Don't tar the entire country with one brush. Liberal Massachusetts, liberal Minnesota liberal Michigan, are all different.

Some whites in Boston are politically liberal, but still have major issues with minorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston