Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 05:57 PM

5 posts, read 6,951 times

Advertisements

Wow, thanks everyone for the quick and helpful responses. What a great community!

I'm going to visit Arlington, Somerville, and 3rd Ave Burlington over the next couple of weekends.

I'm going to give Burlington more grace here ... as a busy professional guy in his 40's, I might reconsider the need to be in the middle of the action 7 nights a week. I currently live smack in the middle of downtown Portsmouth - (an incredibly walkable, happening place, with stuff going on every night) - but I honestly only get out 2/3 nights a week. Do I really want to pay $3K to live in a shoebox in Cambridge?

The other place on my mind is Waltham. There are beautiful brick lofts on the river, but it seems awkward to get to the actual downtown from 95. I drove down the well-known Moody Street strip yesterday and it looked pretty grim and deserted (although maybe that was because the overcast weather and fierce winds made everyone stay home). Anyone have familiarity with the 'nicer' parts of Waltham?

I think Salem would actually be the place I'd enjoy the most .. it's equal parts beautiful and gritty, has high and low culture, a fabulous museum, nightlife, and is inexpensive ... but the commute is a total non-starter - 90 minutes of stop/start each way every day. Ugh. What a pity.

Last edited by dave2112; 05-16-2016 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 06:15 PM

434 posts, read 510,338 times
I was going to suggest Waltham. I absolutely love Arlington but I think of it as pretty family-centric.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:25 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
You don't have to pay anything like $3k to live in the heart of the action, seriously. People really over state things. Look at some of the listing from the real estate companies for area rentals. Plenty available for under $2k.

And as a mid 40s professional who is single, heck yeah you want to be in the middle of things!

Old 05-16-2016, 06:41 PM

190 posts, read 202,161 times
I lived in Arlington for a few years in my mid 40's and single and liked it but it is very family oriented. There are restaurants but no nightlife. It is close to Somerville and Cambridge though. Waltham would be a good fit, nice older buildings, a real downtown and a lively social scene. Have fun exploring.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:28 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,152 times
I could see downtown Waltham getting a lot more vibrant in the next few years. There is a 300 unit luxury apartment complex being built on the corner of Moody Street and Main Street that will have ground floor retail. Also there is another 200+ unit complex being built off of Pine Street where a bunch of warehouses currently sit. With all of the new development going on it will hopefully relativize pedestrian traffic. Waltham does have a lot of great restaurants and a few bars downtown, while it's not a destination like Salem it's still a great option that is continually improving. Traffic on Main Street can be horrible though but that's the downside to urban areas.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:06 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times
Don't even know why anyone would bring up Arlington in this case. It's heavily little kids oriented and would be akin to a slow death for a single guy of any age. Waltham and definitely Somerville if you really want to be in the midst of vibrant life. Adults with kids become consumed by their kids, and though unintentional, they become a real bore to the rest of us.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:37 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Don't even know why anyone would bring up Arlington in this case. It's heavily little kids oriented and would be akin to a slow death for a single guy of any age. Waltham and definitely Somerville if you really want to be in the midst of vibrant life. Adults with kids become consumed by their kids, and though unintentional, they become a real bore to the rest of us.
I knew a couple of no-kid couples who lived in Arlington (they were Harvard grad students / post docs), but your assessment of Arlington not being great for a single guy who enjoys going out is pretty accurate. They were definitely people who enjoyed their work and wanted somewhere quieter. Stretch your budget if need be and try for Cambridge or Somerville.

And I'm not sure why the needless dig at parents.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:19 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
I know more than a few single late 30s and 40s adults in Arlington, they like it. Somerville and Cambridge are right there, and their home life is just a little mellower. It's the access.

But I would stick to North Cambridge or Somerville.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:51 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I knew a couple of no-kid couples who lived in Arlington (they were Harvard grad students / post docs), but your assessment of Arlington not being great for a single guy who enjoys going out is pretty accurate. They were definitely people who enjoyed their work and wanted somewhere quieter. Stretch your budget if need be and try for Cambridge or Somerville.

And I'm not sure why the needless dig at parents.
Don't be so sensitive. I said unintentional. They are a real bore when all they talk about is little Johnny or Buffy's play dates. Not a dig, just real life. That's why parents hang out with parents. And childless couples like us hang out with non-parents. Now is someone going to call me a "racist" against parents ?

Old 05-17-2016, 08:55 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,483,047 times
For the most part you are going to be intermixed with families and young people in any of the areas you look unless you go into actual Boston.

Burlington has a decent corporate vibe around the mall area, and during the day and dinner it's packed with 30's and 40's professionals. Nighttime it can be a mix, depending on the time of the year. Middlesex Tpk seems to be a lively area, but away from there it's mostly families.

Somerville is a younger crowd in general. I've been out at a few bars in that area, and even in mid 30's I sometimes feel a bit old. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, and would think Cambridge/Somerville would be the closest thing to what you are looking for near Boston. Arlington might be geared a bit more towards families IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston