Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 08:15 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Can you imagine the environmental impact of so many plastic or latex gloves being changed and thrown away each time for a customer just to create a semblance of cleanliness? I fully agree that frequent hand washing is far better than wearing gloves. And it's environmentally responsible.
In addition, latex gloves provide a false sense of security. As another poster pointed out, what about gloves means that an employee won't pick their nose or butt and go right back to slapping meat on bread? I've witnessed a number of scenarios where gloved restaurant workers handle cash or credit cards, trash can lids, trash bags, rags for cleaning the tables, etc. and go right back to handling food with out changing gloves. Sure, they could be instructed to frequently change gloves, but they don't always do that (it's not always a quick process either). I'm in the frequent hand washing category. Put some regulations in place for fingernail trim and when to wash hands, and monitor it. Latex gloves aren't some magical protector against contaminants in food. If rubber gloves are what helps you sleep at night, you don't know the half of restaurant or grocery food prep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 09:24 PM

431 posts, read 521,247 times
Posts like this is why people think Boston is racist lol.....

Old 06-07-2016, 10:07 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1181 View Post
no need to say if he's black, white or purple. You should of just wrote a male employee. Call the store and speak to the manager if you are concerned.
If it helps to narrow down the identity of the employee, it is absolutely necessary. If he described him as blonde haired and blue eyed, would we be talking about racism? Of course not. Why should anyone be held to a lesser standard because of their race? To suggest racism is absolutely ignorant and asinine.

OP: Call headquarters AND the city health inspector and give him a description of what you saw. You will be doing everyone a favor.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:58 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,185,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
If it helps to narrow down the identity of the employee, it is absolutely necessary. If he described him as blonde haired and blue eyed, would we be talking about racism? Of course not. Why should anyone be held to a lesser standard because of their race? To suggest racism is absolutely ignorant and asinine.

OP: Call headquarters AND the city health inspector and give him a description of what you saw. You will be doing everyone a favor.
Hmmm...it seems that many people, at least in this thread, have no or little issue with an unsupervised employee handling their food with bare hands. If I were toasting or grilling bakery rolls, perhaps it would all be moot, buy I eat them out of the bag.

I love those Jessica's brioche rolls, about six in a bag for $4.99, made locally in North Andover, and available at that Star Market.. Yep, now I'm wondering about how they're bagged in the facility/bakery. Note, I didn't say obsessing or worrying this time...yep, sometimes even I just have to let it go. I assume the employees at Jessica's are professionally monitored or trained, but who knows?

Old 06-08-2016, 12:09 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,185,254 times
Ha! I wonder if I approach this employee and out right ask him about his no gloves stance. Since I've mentioned he seems irked by me (and perhaps some others?) just asking a simple bakery question, and also by my lifting a fresh bag of bread in a manner I may squeeze and damage it -- well, it could turn ugly at that hour.

But I'm sure it would be interesting for some respondents in the thread, I'm sure, to see how he reacts if I kindly point out his possible faux pas.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:42 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Ha! I wonder if I approach this employee and out right ask him about his no gloves stance. Since I've mentioned he seems irked by me (and perhaps some others?) just asking a simple bakery question, and also by my lifting a fresh bag of bread in a manner I may squeeze and damage it -- well, it could turn ugly at that hour.

But I'm sure it would be interesting for some respondents in the thread, I'm sure, to see how he reacts if I kindly point out his possible faux pas.
It's not your job to supervise employees. If you have a problem, ask for a manager. Unless you're looking to start a fight, and I'm guessing you are.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:57 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's not your job to supervise employees. If you have a problem, ask for a manager. Unless you're looking to start a fight, and I'm guessing you are.
Yeah, definitely sounds like he's looking for a fight.

Not everyone is as sensitive as you. Nothing will happen.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:26 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Yeah, definitely sounds like he's looking for a fight.

Not everyone is as sensitive as you. Nothing will happen.
if you have an issue go to the manager if not let it go

Old 06-09-2016, 08:01 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
if you have an issue go to the manager if not let it go
Disagree. It's much better to stew about it internally at the store, go home, and create a thread on a message board in which you intentionally ("I knew perfectly well that calling him black would/should invite some controversy here...") stir the pot by using the man's skin color as essentially the only identifying factor (other than stating he was an employee)... all behind the protection of the anonymous username on the internet.

Why would you address your concerns with management when you can do all of the above on an internet message board?

Old 06-14-2016, 12:06 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,640,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Exactly. I don't know why there is this almost religious belief that a hand sheathed in a latex or plastic glove is suppose to be so clean. I can still pick my nose, or my ar$%se with it and then get back to making your Asiago steak sandwich at Panera.
Anti-glove people you win, I was at Panera the other day and I witnessed the food preparer using the glove to wipe his runny nose not just once but twice. And I'll never look at Asiago cheese the same way again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston