Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:57 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,544,806 times

Advertisements

i disagree that c-port is too expensive. We were paying $1300 for a 3 bd/2bath back at the end of 2004
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 07:25 AM

415 posts, read 1,665,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
i disagree that c-port is too expensive. We were paying $1300 for a 3 bd/2bath back at the end of 2004
The seaport district is probably one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Boston. I would be shocked if you could find a 3 bedroom place for under $2500 there now.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:28 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,301,566 times
Quote:
you don't want to waste your time in law school commuting. Anything in Allston/Brighton will be an easy commute but not necessarily the nicest accomodations (it is basically a student ghetto btwn BU and BC).
This is true in Allston and along Comm Av. by the B line in Brighton, but there are some great apartments in houses off of Washington St. in Brighton Center. That area is not a student ghetto at all, it's much nicer and quieter but still has stores, restaurants, etc. within walking distance. There is very easy on-street parking, often without a resident permit, and you may find something very nice at about $1200. Check out the area near Oakland St and down by Oak Sq. My friends live off Oakland St. and have a large 2-bedroom with parking, washer and dryer, and a nice yard for $1150.

Quote:
If you go off Brighton Ave rents shold be a little cheaper than right off Comm. Ave and the 57 bus is pretty regular vs. the green line on Comm Ave (which I always found painfully slow and crowded).
The rents are cheaper and the places nicer along the 57 bus than along the B line. I am generally not a bus person at all since I think they are too slow and don't come often enough, but I would take the 57 over the B line. The 57 bus replaced the A line of the Green Line and therefore runs more frequently than many other buses. It will get you from Brighton Center to Kenmore in about 25 minutes, under 20 minutes most of the time to BU Law.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGoesIt View Post
The seaport district is probably one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Boston. I would be shocked if you could find a 3 bedroom place for under $2500 there now.
are you punning?

Old 02-19-2008, 10:47 AM

47 posts, read 225,188 times
You guys are great. Thanks for your help! I can't wait to have a real public transit system.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj103 View Post
You guys are great. Thanks for your help! I can't wait to have a real public transit system.
Don't get too pumped up over the T. You'll almost certainly be cursing it at some point but it is among the top 5 or so systems in the U.S., not that there's much competition.

From Brighton Center, it can take an hour to get downtown for work on the 57 bus and the T, but there is an express bus ($89 monthly pass gets you the express bus, all local buses, and the T) that goes from Brighton Center to downtown (501) and another that goes to Copley Sq. (503). Those are the two general areas where most office building-type jobs within the city of Boston tend to be. The express bus ride is 30 minutes or less. They don't run all the time (regular buses downtown from 6:20 to 9:30 AM, then none until after 2 PM, last bus from downtown back to Brighton is at 7:30) but for typical 9-5 commuting they're the best option from Brighton Center.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:23 AM

Let me tell you a story about Nebraska, as I'm sure no one that lives outside of the midwest can probably even imagine.

There is one city bus that runs from downtown Lincoln to a stop that's about a mile from my apartment. It runs every 45 minutes or so, and not after 6 p.m. I don't know what people without cars do in this town.

Point being that I know I'll probably get super angry from time to time, but compared what I'm used to, it will be great.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Point being that I know I'll probably get super angry from time to time, but compared what I'm used to, it will be great.
Oh, absolutely. The vast majority of the US is a zone where I don't know how anyone could function without a car. The T has its moments but for the most part it gets you where you need to go pretty efficiently.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:03 PM

Sort of along the same topic, are Boston drivers as crazy as I've heard? I've driven in some pretty rough traffic (Denver, St. Louis, Chicago, Phoenix, etc.) but I'm absolutely terrified by what I've heard about Boston.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Sort of along the same topic, are Boston drivers as crazy as I've heard? I've driven in some pretty rough traffic (Denver, St. Louis, Chicago, Phoenix, etc.) but I'm absolutely terrified by what I've heard about Boston.
I guess this is a better question for those who came here from elsewhere. Personally I don't think the drivers are all that bad, but I've spent my whole life in the northeast and I'm used to Boston and NYC. With that comparison Boston seems pretty easy. I would say it's clearly more intense than Denver, St. Louis, or Phoenix. Not sure about Chicago.

The bigger issue, it seems to me, is that the roads within Boston itself are very confusing to the newcomer and there are a lot of narrow streets and one-ways. But unlike a lot of other cities, there's less need to drive in Boston itself if you're living outside it. You can easily just come on the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston