Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 07:24 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
There isn't a "next Cambridge." You really can't have Cambridge without Harvard and MIT. There is no really equivalent or potentially equivalent place in the country, in my opinion.
Totally agree.

There can be spillover, as in tech start ups seeking space in Somerville, etc as Kendall is too pricey, but that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 08:01 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,810,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
There isn't a "next Cambridge." You really can't have Cambridge without Harvard and MIT. There is no really equivalent or potentially equivalent place in the country, in my opinion.
Uh..not even San Francisco? Harvard and MIT are pretty different. Harvard is the brand but MIT generally has legit backing. Ironically although HBS is probably one of the best business schools in the country (which isn't saying that much honestly) MIT has more actual wealth creation due to innovation. I'm not that enthralled with Harvard given the policies of the past twenty years and lack of economic and community development.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:14 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,321,722 times
Well the point is cambridge will always be an impressive place for having both institutions. Quincy has...quincy college. I havent heard anything about tech places opening up in quincy.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Uh..not even San Francisco? Harvard and MIT are pretty different. Harvard is the brand but MIT generally has legit backing. Ironically although HBS is probably one of the best business schools in the country (which isn't saying that much honestly) MIT has more actual wealth creation due to innovation. I'm not that enthralled with Harvard given the policies of the past twenty years and lack of economic and community development.
SF doesn't really have top tier schools like Cambridge does. Stanford is far out of the city, and Berkeley is East Bay.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:38 PM

I have never been to SF but people love it. It is more expensive than boston even without the 2 fancy colleges.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:18 PM

I lived there, the weather is great. It's a peninsula basically, even less space to spread out than Boston.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Well the point is cambridge will always be an impressive place for having both institutions. Quincy has...quincy college. I havent heard anything about tech places opening up in quincy.
It doesn't have to be "tech" though. I'm talking about actual housing development. You can have all the tech you want but tech without looking at the maintenance line item is pointless. You have to make something sustainable because there's so much of tech that's still a flash in the pan. Silicon Valley is where most of it is although there's smaller clusters. If you think that everything made at MIT is manufactured and employs significant numbers of people that just isn't the case. Patents trademarks and copyrights are nice and everything but the idea of patent trolls goes back generations. R&D has been replaced with M&A of those that are doing R&D. Why try to budget for a discovery when you buy out someone that did it instead

Heck I worked for a major Forbes 400 company that bought out part of another competitor not because we wanted it but because we didn't want the other company to get it. So we bought it and then shut it down. Let's not also forget all of the non disclosure agreements and non competitive agreements. EMC still clings to those. In the Bay Area they even had a no poaching agreement with various tech companies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-T...ust_Litigation

"....lawsuit on behalf of over 64,000 employees of Adobe, Apple Inc., Google, Intel, Intuit, Pixar and Lucasfilm (the last two are subsidiaries of Disney) against their employer alleging that their wages were repressed due to alleged agreements between their employers not to hire employees from their competitors.[11][12] The case was filed on May 4, 2011 by a former software engineer at Lucasfilm and alleges violations of California’s antitrust statute, Business and Professions Code sections 16720 et seq. (the "Cartwright Act"); Business and Professions Code section 16600; and California’s unfair competition law, Business and Professions Code sections 17200, et seq. Focusing on the network of connections around former Apple CEO Steve Jobs, the Complaint alleges "an interconnected web of express agreements, each with the active involvement and participation of a company under the control of Steve Jobs...and/or a company that shared at least one member of Apple's board of directors." The alleged intent of this conspiracy was "to reduce employee compensation and mobility through eliminating competition".

Gradually as more tech becomes open source it doesn't exactly need massive areas for productivity. real time on the fly coordination has been possible online for years. Not everything is possible to do in Boston due to the costs. The Mass Green Computing Center is in Holyoke because the electrical costs are half of lexington.

Getting back to Quincy. The population is growing, there is a waterfront, Tom Brady used to live there (Marina Bay), there are ethnic restaurants, historical landmarks and generally more affordability.
Is Quincy the Next Cambridge and Somerville? - New Developments, News - Boston.com Real Estate

Old 10-25-2016, 05:25 PM

Im confused. You think quincy will just grow in terms of housing? I could see that as people look for more affordable areas...but quincy is becoming less affordable now which may take away from it's popularity.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:17 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Uhh no. Not San Francisco. It's not even close to the same thing. Not even almost.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Im confused. You think quincy will just grow in terms of housing? I could see that as people look for more affordable areas...but quincy is becoming less affordable now which may take away from it's popularity.
Well MassDOT's population estimates show significant increases projecting into 2030 and 2040. Things can be popular without being affordable, but at the same time be cheaper than Boston.

All I'm getting at is a place becomes attractive for some reason and then the money follows. Just like in NYC Manhattan go to be too much so they left for Brooklyn and now leaving for the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston