Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 02:51 PM

362 posts, read 497,315 times

Advertisements

Ok, so a couple months ago, I got some input on a few other cities regarding this same topic. Chicago, DC, and Charlotte to be exact. Wanted to broaden the search a little and see if maybe Boston could be a potential future move. I understand the city has negative history with race relations, but seems like it's rebounded since the 90's.

Just a little background on myself: I'm 36, born and raised outside of NYC (Long Island, actually). Living in the Philadelphia area for 12 years now, and have no interest of planting roots in or around Philadelphia. New York and North/Central Jersey are still options, but I wanna see what else is out there...in case fatigue of the area, etc...become issues later on down the line.

I understand that the Boston area is very expensive, so sticker shock won't be too much of an issue. Is Massachusetts more expensive than Jersey you think? Is a one bedroom apartment for around $1,300-1,400/month doable up there in a decent area? What areas inside and outside of Boston limits should I be zeroing in on, if any?

I made a list of potential target areas. Tell me what y'all think: Which ones should I cross off? What should I add? Where should I concentrate on?:

In Boston: Allston, Brighton, Mission Hill, Jamaica Plain, Forest Hills/Woodbourne, Roslindale, Hyde Park, South End, & Charlestown.

Outside of Boston: Everett, Cambridge, Malden, Waltham, Somerville, Quincy, Dedham, Medford, Braintree, Randolph, & Natick.

Thanks in advance for your 2 cents...or 10 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 03:30 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,216,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxr203 View Post
Ok, so a couple months ago, I got some input on a few other cities regarding this same topic. Chicago, DC, and Charlotte to be exact. Wanted to broaden the search a little and see if maybe Boston could be a potential future move. I understand the city has negative history with race relations, but seems like it's rebounded since the 90's.

Just a little background on myself: I'm 36, born and raised outside of NYC (Long Island, actually). Living in the Philadelphia area for 12 years now, and have no interest of planting roots in or around Philadelphia. New York and North/Central Jersey are still options, but I wanna see what else is out there...in case fatigue of the area, etc...become issues later on down the line.

I understand that the Boston area is very expensive, so sticker shock won't be too much of an issue. Is Massachusetts more expensive than Jersey you think? Is a one bedroom apartment for around $1,300-1,400/month doable up there in a decent area? What areas inside and outside of Boston limits should I be zeroing in on, if any?

I made a list of potential target areas. Tell me what y'all think: Which ones should I cross off? What should I add? Where should I concentrate on?:

In Boston: Allston, Brighton, Mission Hill, Jamaica Plain, Forest Hills/Woodbourne, Roslindale, Hyde Park, South End, & Charlestown.

Outside of Boston: Everett, Cambridge, Malden, Waltham, Somerville, Quincy, Dedham, Medford, Braintree, Randolph, & Natick.

Thanks in advance for your 2 cents...or 10 cents.
Randolph should definitely be doable on your budget. I had a studio for two years there on a smaller budget. Rents were always going up, but I can't imagine a one bedroom in Randolph for $1,400 would be impossible.

A lot of the other places on your list you might have to really shop around. Cheapest I found for a studio in Waltham from a complex (not a private party) is $1,900! And that's much cheaper than some of other places in your list (especially those in Boston).

Old 11-17-2016, 04:32 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Mass is more expensive. Are there places here for what you want to pay? Sure, they go fast, very fast, or are in less desirable places. Honestly, If I was banking on paying no more than $1400 and could move anywhere, the town where I was assured of being able to find something for that, aren't worth moving to Mass for, IMO. I'd go to Chicago.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:00 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
What do you do for work? The ability to get a job and continue with a career should outweigh the relative desirability of specific neighborhoods or communities.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
What do you do for work? The ability to get a job and continue with a career should outweigh the relative desirability of specific neighborhoods or communities.
I'm basically in logistics - purchasing/procurement. Can do it in a bunch of different industries.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:02 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Is the one bedroom acceptable if in a three-decker, walking up to the top floor in an old structure, maybe needing to walk to a laundromat?

Or, will you only consider a modern building with most amenities? That would be near impossible, anyway.

When modern yuppie buildings out in Waltham can command probably $2,200-$2,700 for a one bedroom... that's sick.

If you're considering Randolph (with a large black population, of mainly Haitians?), then maybe you could consider Brockton, a few miles south. They have commuter rail (and a bus to a Dorchester subway stop) into town. Of course, it has a bad rap, but small parts have nice homes and likely people with decent or good jobs. I dropped a black male from my cab, an MBTA bus driver, in Brockton recently. He must make a decent salary. His little street and residence seemed okay even at midnight...not sure if he rents, owns or has roomies, but if it's okay (for now?) for him, it may be for you?

Old 11-18-2016, 05:31 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Job being more or less equal, I'd go to Chicago. Boston not really worth it unless you have a really great job that pays well and you love the work. Or if you have lots of friends, family, connections here. Not a bad place, but for a newcomer in their 30s, can't say I'd recommend it.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:18 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Is the one bedroom acceptable if in a three-decker, walking up to the top floor in an old structure, maybe needing to walk to a laundromat?

Or, will you only consider a modern building with most amenities? That would be near impossible, anyway.

When modern yuppie buildings out in Waltham can command probably $2,200-$2,700 for a one bedroom... that's sick.

If you're considering Randolph (with a large black population, of mainly Haitians?), then maybe you could consider Brockton, a few miles south. They have commuter rail (and a bus to a Dorchester subway stop) into town. Of course, it has a bad rap, but small parts have nice homes and likely people with decent or good jobs. I dropped a black male from my cab, an MBTA bus driver, in Brockton recently. He must make a decent salary. His little street and residence seemed okay even at midnight...not sure if he rents, owns or has roomies, but if it's okay (for now?) for him, it may be for you?
good point. is op west indian ? when i was in college, 10 years ago, most of my african-american friends thought boston was boring because lack of hip-hop clubs, radio stations, soul food restaurants, ... i personally like it better than most other cities because most black owned restaurants are haitian/west indian; more soca clubs/radio stations.

op's budget is probably doable but will definitely be doable if renting a room or apartment with roommates.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
good point. is op west indian ? when i was in college, 10 years ago, most of my african-american friends thought boston was boring because lack of hip-hop clubs, radio stations, soul food restaurants, ... i personally like it better than most other cities because most black owned restaurants are haitian/west indian; more soca clubs/radio stations.

op's budget is probably doable but will definitely be doable if renting a room or apartment with roommates.
I'm not West Indian. Thanks for all the feedback so far, guys.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:16 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
I'm African American, multi generational, Boston. As of right now there is a lot of conversation about race in the city the mayor just had a big conversation about it to hundreds of people and finally said point black "Boston has an issue with racism." Theres been a ton of progress since around 1993 when Mayor Menino came to office, and id say the last 115 years have been a time of big gains socially for Black people in Boston. I'm younger-22- so a lot of the growth and stuff I see is with epople my age. I know of two major artistic outlets run by black people opening up in Dudley square in Roxbury in the past year. Ass of 2016 the city is about 44% white, 23% Black and 20% Latino (in Boston most Latinos identify with black people and live amongst black people-often times they're just considered black). The towns you have chosen are good choice but you've got a Philly style budget. Eastern Mass is the same price as Northern Jersey and Southwestern CT. With the same lifestyle for the most part.

If you up your one bedroom budget to like 1700 you'll be able to live in Hyde Park, Everett, maybe Allston, Randolph and maybe Dedham. 13-1400 leaves you living in the hood. Please don't come here and move to Brockton. Its dangerous, boring and trashy. If you move here itll take about a year to get situated socially as non West-Indian or Cape Verdean blacks are pretty few. We live scattered in urban areas and a few suburban towns on the South Shore. Its a mix of black and latin cultures from everywhere moreso than an African-American culture. Randolph has a good deal of African Americans but slightly more Haitians. I do think now i the best time in Boston's history to move here if you are black professional-to that there is little doubt in my mind. Better choice than Chicago at least given Chicago's economy and crime and dwindling black population that is increasingly poor. Its just so expensive here it sucks and I'm moving to Vegas until I can save money and come back here in my thirties. There's a few more black leaning clubs and radio stations here than there were 5 years ago and definitely more ethnic events and conferences. Its almost nothing like the Boston of 20-25 years ago racially. Very very diverse in the city itself and some of its inner suburbs. Very little integration between blacks and whites though.

Up your budget to $1,700 and Focus on Hyde Park, Avon, Randolph, Everett, Revere, Lynn, Malden, southern Mattapan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston