Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 01:07 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Well my cousin went to BC high did not get in even though his dad went there. My cousin is VERY smart, not just saying that I could care less really but he's very smart...he ended up going to McGill, which some might say is better academically. His dad was pissed.
He probably had more fun up there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 01:46 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times
He's still there haha, he graduated a year or two ago. Total hippie with long hair...he sort of was in high school as well so i dont think he would have fit in at BC. McGill was definitely the right environment for him.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:51 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,656,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Correct.

Colleges do not provide financial aid to international students.
That depends. They do for the athletes.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:15 PM

596 posts, read 818,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
That depends. They do for the athletes.
That's not financial aid, those are athletic scholarships.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
That's not financial aid, those are athletic scholarships.
If the school can't give athletic scholarships and some of them can't like the Ivy league and others, they give financial aid. There are more schools than you think that aren't permitted to give athletic scholarships. I was surprised to learn that.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:57 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,810,469 times
On a lower level it is a bit interesting with international students. Public school can only admit a international student for one year, private has no such limit. With some of the debates with charter schools one possible compromise might be to have them be considered private for international students. Charter schools would then have access to more students without costing their public school district.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:08 PM

I think that might defeat the purpose of charter schools, no?

Old 12-13-2016, 07:14 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
To comment on toefl- I've actually tutored TOEFL and have taught many international students preparing for university. They mostly just need to learn strategies to pass the test. Knowledge of English is truly secondary. For example for every multiple choice question- one is obviously conpletely wrong and ridiculous. Another one will be pretty clearly wrong, but sure, you might need to know a couple grammar points to make that out. So basically every multiple choice question is basically a 50/50 shot. Not bad. The listening, speaking, and writing sections all boil down to recognizing patterns and how to formulate thoughts, which aren't really English specific concepts. I know some people who have scored much higher than they seem they would. Likewise some incredibly good speakers have scored low because they didn't study strategies, only English- silly them!

And yes, cheating is a big thing in asia. So many international students just need a paper that had an American University name on it. Everything else is secondary.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:20 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,185,254 times
My nephew spent one year at boarding school in New England after a strong school district in another region -- but that wasn't enough for him to get into BC. His hockey skills got him in but he still had to take additional courses and play independent hockey in the Boston area in order to fully get accepted a year later. I don't think they simply accept any good athlete without good academics?

Yes, his father earns a very nice salary...so the BC white rich kid stereotype is probably still true.
I'm surprised another poster mentioned BC High couldn't get his relative into BC. Isn't BC High a springboard to BC...or it was long ago?

I applied to BC in 1978 but was put on the waiting list; it's now even more selective, I'm certain. I went to BU in the College of Liberal Arts after the School of Communication there rejected me even with light experience as a writer at my high school monthly paper. I never was a standout student either in high school or college...so I likely couldn't get into BC or BU now.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:26 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,066 times
My dad and mom got into Harvard because they are wicked smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston