Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 10:06 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times

Advertisements

Which one would you say is more popular amongst Bostonians.
I am from the Merrimack Valley, as most affiliate with UML, outside of North Andover and Andover who like Merrimack. Also for the most part there is antagonism toward BC alums and such in the region. While people are pretty indifferent towards BU.
I would assume BC/BU is a similar dynamic, where BC affiliated people and rich white folks like BC and everyone else would prefer BU.
I've always seen BC is more exclusive as BU, Northeastern, Harvard, UML etc. all host High School sports and other community events, while BC not so much.
What is your opinion, is BC or BU more popular within Boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 10:19 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
BU is just so much bigger andlocated more in the city, so I notice BU a lot more than BC. I really don't care about either though, as in I just don't think about them much. BC at least has football and a lovely campus. BU not so much.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:03 PM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Of the two, I prefer BC as I have many friends and my sister that graduated there.

However, in my career line, I run into more Northeastern Grads (just due to the differing college majors available), so when I think of major Boston colleges, they are at the top of my list

Old 12-12-2016, 01:16 PM

596 posts, read 818,446 times
I thought about responding to this, but I'm not sure what the point is...

It seems like more BC grads stay local after graduation. BU is hugely international. I am BC affiliated, but I think more highly of BU because it's more progressive (it's not hard to be more progressive than BC...).

Old 12-12-2016, 01:25 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
I'd say BC is definitely the more prestgious of the two. Those who hate it don't discredit it for academics or its sports, more so it's an inferiority complex thing. I find BU kind of strange, given its size and urban location you would think it had more influence around town. Not saying it is a bad school at all, and while not as much so as BC it is certainly very competitive. But coming from Boston, I can't say I know a single person who went there. I know many who went to BC and NU. When HS students apply, the top ones typically set their eyes on Harvard/BC, then NU/UMASS Amherst, followed by the state universities and other private colleges. For whatever reason, BU comes up much less in regular conversation.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:44 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I'd say BC is definitely the more prestgious of the two. Those who hate it don't discredit it for academics or its sports, more so it's an inferiority complex thing. I find BU kind of strange, given its size and urban location you would think it had more influence around town. Not saying it is a bad school at all, and while not as much so as BC it is certainly very competitive. But coming from Boston, I can't say I know a single person who went there. I know many who went to BC and NU. When HS students apply, the top ones typically set their eyes on Harvard/BC, then NU/UMASS Amherst, followed by the state universities and other private colleges. For whatever reason, BU comes up much less in regular conversation.
It may just be your social circle or maybe it's just mine, but I think BU is a very popular school among Asian and Jewish circles and we all know those 2 demographics tend to have extremely high academic standards. In 2015, 60 kids at Lexington HS were accepted to BU so it's a popular choice (or safety school) at the area's top HS.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:31 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
a joke i heard about bc is that it is neither a college nor is it located in boston.
Spoiler
it is a university located in chestnut hill.
related:
what is the defacto university for major metropolises ?

Old 12-12-2016, 04:36 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Eh...the trouble with some of the higher ended academic institutions is that they provide for dramatically reduced if not free tuition to attend.

Some Recommend Working for Colleges for Free Tuition | Best Colleges | US News

What's wrong with this? Well there's nothing wrong with anyone attending higher ed. Having said that though consider the conflict of interest. You are a professor and just noticed that HALF your class is your coworkers kids. Are you really going to give out realistic grades?

Now you see a bit why everyone in Harvard gets an A or in some cases there are two different grades.

Harvard Professor Slams College For Handing Out Too Many A Grades | The Huffington Post

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...-give-more-as/

It's just like if you work for a company/non profit/government and the legislative body (city councilors, board of directors etc) has relatives that work there. Are you really going to treat someone the same way knowing they can get someone much higher on the food chain come down on you? A long time ago I worked in retail and recognized a person from CNBC. His firm owns massive amounts of shares well beyond what the employees of the entire district if not region owns. When he goes on tv it's THAT store that is his image of the whole company. What we often assume with an organization is not always the reality.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:24 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
This mirrors my experience. BU was a safety school for my generation and peers as an undergrad (I know several people that did the Metropolitan College at night though for grad). BC was a place people wanted to go. I understand though that BU has improved academically the past couple of decades though, so that has probably changed.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:36 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
It may just be your social circle or maybe it's just mine, but I think BU is a very popular school among Asian and Jewish circles and we all know those 2 demographics tend to have extremely high academic standards. In 2015, 60 kids at Lexington HS were accepted to BU so it's a popular choice (or safety school) at the area's top HS.
BU historically had a lot of Jews (and still does). However, in recent years BU decided to open the floodgates to international students from China because they pay full tuition and receive no financial aid. A lot of them can't speak a word of English and aren't really all that bright but the wire transfers clear so it's all good. IMO BU's reputation isn't as good as it used to be as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston