Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 07:29 AM

349 posts, read 320,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polsprof View Post
OP again here. First off, thanks to everyone for their help/suggestions. I'm very grateful. Really appreciate it. It sounds like the consensus view is that I'm best off being in Brookline and that I ought to drive into work (not take the "T"). However, as I've begun looking for apartments (using sabbaticalhomes.com, hotpads, craigslist) it feels like the inventory is quite low in Brookline for quality places in the $2500-2700 range. Is it really worth hiring a broker and does the feeling that inventory looks low just a function of the fact that it's a broker-driven market and the usual websites won't list all of the supply? Or is there a real low inventory? I feel like I'm seeing a lot more quality stuff in Cambridge/Somerville available.
There is already a ton of good information on the thread, and you were smart to ask.

1. You don't have to go through a broker. Just check those sites regularly and keep a spreadsheet of the attractive apartment complexes. The area you're searching for is not large, and a record of your search will be helpful.

2. let any Boston area friends/contacts know that you're looking. Like everything else in life, friend of a friend is a great way to find something.

3. If you know you like Cambridge/Somerville, more power to you. I love the area. You're renting, not buying; with a 1 year commitment, it's hard to go wrong with any of the areas people have mentioned.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 07:32 PM

12 posts, read 17,583 times
OP here. Once again, I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to reply with thoughts and suggestions. I really appreciate all of your help. I'm currently debating between Brookline and Cambridge and have a very specific question that I'd like to ask. I've found a place in the heart of Central Square (Mass. Avenue). It's small -- a studio (430 sq ft). But it is:

-Furnished
-Offered for an academic year lease (9 months)
-No broker fee
-Includes all utilities down to cable TV and wifi
-Includes a covered garaged parking spot in the building

The apartment is offered at $2500 (including all of these things). Does this seem like a fair price? I'm estimating that covered garaged parking + utilities + cable TV has to be worth nearly $500-600 a month.

Thoughts?

Old 01-10-2017, 08:20 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polsprof View Post
OP here. Once again, I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to reply with thoughts and suggestions. I really appreciate all of your help. I'm currently debating between Brookline and Cambridge and have a very specific question that I'd like to ask. I've found a place in the heart of Central Square (Mass. Avenue). It's small -- a studio (430 sq ft). But it is:

-Furnished
-Offered for an academic year lease (9 months)
-No broker fee
-Includes all utilities down to cable TV and wifi
-Includes a covered garaged parking spot in the building

The apartment is offered at $2500 (including all of these things). Does this seem like a fair price? I'm estimating that covered garaged parking + utilities + cable TV has to be worth nearly $500-600 a month.

Thoughts?
If it's a well-maintained, fairly modern building, yes I'd grab it. The covered parking alone is a huge perk.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:23 AM

49 posts, read 62,393 times
Lets break down the price...

1600-1800 for studio
200 for parking
60 for internet
100 for utilities
200 for furnishings

The range is 2160 to 2360 and lets say the broker fee is an additional 100-150/month. So 2500 seems reasonable.

But I think you can get a 1br for 2500.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:28 PM

78 posts, read 59,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRevealed View Post
Lets break down the price...

1600-1800 for studio
200 for parking
60 for internet
100 for utilities
200 for furnishings

The range is 2160 to 2360 and lets say the broker fee is an additional 100-150/month. So 2500 seems reasonable.

But I think you can get a 1br for 2500.
Based on what I've seen while looking lately, I think you can definitely get a 1BR around Central or Harvard for that. I have a friend that pays 2350 for a 1BR a couple blocks from Central. It doesn't include any parking options though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston