Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 12:25 PM

5 posts, read 3,731 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I relocated to Mass from Minneapolis, Mn last May. I selected my apt. Based on my job location, working in Westborough and living in Shrewsbury. In December I was transferred to our Corp offices in Backbay. I'm commuting via commuter rail and it's crazy expensive and takes forever. Any advice for decent neighborhoods closer to the city? I like Newton and Wellesley, might be out of my price range... Looking to stay under $1800 for one bedroom minimum. Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 02:53 PM

596 posts, read 818,636 times
Are you opposed to living in the city? You might be able to find something in Roslindale in your price range. You can take the commuter rail or orange line to Back Bay. Parking is pretty easy here. Without more info about what you want from where you live (aside from being an easy commute to work) it's hard to recommend anything. I don't know anything about rentals in Newton or Wellesley.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:01 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,941 times
West Roxbury is another good option.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:00 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Both are right next to each other so if you get what you want it just may work.

Centre Street is JP into Roslindale and West Roxbury with branch out streets.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:13 AM

Thanks! I'm looking for a safe community and amenities like dw/wd in unit/air... I would love the luxuries of a workout center and pool but my budget may not allow. Roxbury seems to be on the news for crime a lot.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:58 AM

3,214 posts, read 2,120,946 times
West Roxbury is not the same neighborhood as Roxbury.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:01 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
In terms of convenience to Back Bay you have lots of options but price and availability will narrow your choices. Also, apartment complexes with pool and similar amenities are few in the very built-up areas in and around Boston. Roslindale and West Roxbury are safe and convenient to Back Bay but most of the housing is in small older wood-frame buildings rather than complexes with pool and workout center. Dedham, Westwood, Norwood are a little farther out in the same direction and may have more of what you're imagining. Newton and Brookline have the Riverside green line right to Copley. Not sure whether anything available through there in your price range; both are deluxe communities in prime locations with top-notch public services. Brookline, Brighton and Watertown have other green line and/or bus service into Back Bay. Quincy and Malden are on different T lines and have some newer-type complexes among the older buildings although Quincy would be quite a ride to Back Bay. Natick and Framingham have apartment complexes but they may not get you closer enough to work to be worth the trouble of moving from Shrewsbury.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:02 AM

905 posts, read 2,401,048 times
Check out Ridgecrest village in West Roxbury, you can definitely get an apt for that amount. You can get a 2br for 50 dollars over your budget.

Like others said, West Roxbury is not at all Roxbury. There are a few buses that go to forest hills from here. Send a PM of you have questions. There are a few areas listed on this thread that will definitely suit your needs.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:13 AM

596 posts, read 818,636 times
You also might be able to drive to the West Roxbury commuter rail stop from Ridgecrest Village. That would be much faster than taking a bus down Washington to Forest Hills (though more expensive). I don't know what parking is like around the stop, but if you get a WR resident sticker I don't think you'd have a problem--they might not even restrict it at all.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:08 PM

Thanks everyone! I will look into those areas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston