U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 11:17 PM

1,924 posts, read 1,067,550 times

Advertisements

There are lots of northeastern/Wentworth/massart students starting to move into Roxbury to take advantage of the cheap rent and great location. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if that's the next place to gentrify. Yes it's still the "hood" with the resulting crime issues but I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes yuppified. It's location is too ideal to stay poverty stricken. Mattapan on the other hand is not well located and I doubt we'll see yuppies moving in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 11:37 AM

486 posts, read 360,497 times
Colleges are separated from Roxbury by a mostly uninterrupted wall of housing projects, which is why much of the area is still a drug and crime-infested sh*thole with barely any gentrification despite its prime location. Not too many students and profs want to run the gangland gauntlet twice a day just to get to class or work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
There are lots of northeastern/Wentworth/massart students starting to move into Roxbury to take advantage of the cheap rent and great location. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if that's the next place to gentrify. Yes it's still the "hood" with the resulting crime issues but I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes yuppified. It's location is too ideal to stay poverty stricken. Mattapan on the other hand is not well located and I doubt we'll see yuppies moving in there.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:53 AM

1,106 posts, read 852,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Colleges are separated from Roxbury by a mostly uninterrupted wall of housing projects, which is why much of the area is still a drug and crime-infested sh*thole with barely any gentrification despite its prime location. Not too many students and profs want to run the gangland gauntlet twice a day just to get to class or work.
When they tear down Whittier street and build that new mixed income housing that will create a connection between Dudley are and the Northeastern area, its then a matter of getting out of the commercial area of Dudley into the residential areas of Grove Hall Newmarket and Uphams Corner. TH thing is Whittier Street really doesnt have a big impact n crime in the area, most of the crime is deep in Roxbury and depends on gentrification from JP to lower crime.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:52 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,193,284 times
Default Re

People get excited about places gentrifying but then most of the people living there have to move.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:37 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,011,096 times
Quote:
You are completely delusional and clearly have never seen Roxbury. Believe me when i tell you, Roxbury is not separated enough! Unfortunately, colleges have never been forced by the city to build adequate housing for their ever expanding populations of rich foreign brats. So, places like Roxbury suffer disproportionately... And Walsh is doing NOTHING to address the issue.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:21 PM

2,769 posts, read 2,209,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
You are completely delusional and clearly have never seen Roxbury. Believe me when i tell you, Roxbury is not separated enough! Unfortunately, colleges have never been forced by the city to build adequate housing for their ever expanding populations of rich foreign brats. So, places like Roxbury suffer disproportionately... And Walsh is doing NOTHING to address the issue.
You realize every time a college tried to build a new dorm people ***** and moan about it because they 1) don't want to live next to it and 2) the colleges don't pay property taxes.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:30 AM

149 posts, read 137,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
When they tear down Whittier street and build that new mixed income housing that will create a connection between Dudley are and the Northeastern area, its then a matter of getting out of the commercial area of Dudley into the residential areas of Grove Hall Newmarket and Uphams Corner. TH thing is Whittier Street really doesnt have a big impact n crime in the area, most of the crime is deep in Roxbury and depends on gentrification from JP to lower crime.
Eh, I'm not buying the part about Roxbury relying on JP to lower crime. The area of Roxbury that borders JP and Mission Hill is safer along any statistical measure than JP and Mission Hill. If anything, its Roxbury pusing into JP that is cleaning up the area around Jackson Square (as well as the gentrified parts of JP pushing South).

Old 02-21-2017, 10:00 PM

599 posts, read 383,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by such sweet thunder View Post
Eh, I'm not buying the part about Roxbury relying on JP to lower crime. The area of Roxbury that borders JP and Mission Hill is safer along any statistical measure than JP and Mission Hill. If anything, its Roxbury pusing into JP that is cleaning up the area around Jackson Square (as well as the gentrified parts of JP pushing South).
I don't think Jackson will clean up till Bromley Heath gets demo'ed

Old 02-22-2017, 09:58 AM

8,711 posts, read 8,906,804 times
Quote:

I remember when they tore down the old brick buildings in mission hill to build new projects. Thought It would clean up the area, but it didn't. The area looked nice, but it was still a crap hole. Plenty of broke friends of mine had apartments up in Mission hill, and you literally would run a gauntlet to get to/from class or to go out and socialize.

Had many friends jumped at night walking home. Some stabbed. If it was 2AM and you needed to get to your apartment up Huntington Ave, you cabbed it (or uber) or just crashed at a friends dorm. Walking alone, at night, was asking for it.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:57 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,193,284 times
Default Re

Mission hill still isnt a safe area, particularly at night. People seem to think that because college students and high prices are in the mix that crime is just swept under the rug. It isnt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or