Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2017, 04:12 PM

88 posts, read 55,396 times

Advertisements

I'm a light sleeper and I'm wondering how much do I have to worry about noise and shaking from trains passing through on Beacon Hill if I'm on ground floor? I tried to check it out in person, just walking up and down Anderson and Grove, and while considerable squeaking can be heard at 3 minute intervals my friends keep assuring me it's nothing to worry about.

Which streets would be ok? Charles? Joy? Thank you for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 05:46 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,374,674 times
You can look at a map and judge distance to the track / tunnel. That will be a factor as will the specific building and it's foundation. When you say ground floor are you talking 1st floor or basement? This makes a night and day difference in terms of noise. If you are close to the tunnel and below ground level (at all) expect some noise.

The north ends of Charles and Joy (the end closest to Cambridge Street) will be noisier than the south ends, however if you are at least a block away from the T it should be fine. Something in the flat of the hill (west of Charles) is quite far from the T, as are streets like Mt. Vernon and Chestnut. Louisburg Square is quite nice if you are a multi millionaire.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:30 PM

2,908 posts, read 5,119,929 times
My crappy studio in 1983 (affordable in those days) was on Grove Street, halfway up the street past Phillips Street on the left. Lucky to live there on a $15,800 salary out of college, pre-yuppie gentrification. I guess misfits and struggling folks could live on the Hill back then, though in junky apartments..

I certainly noticed the rumbling noise, as I hadn't expected it because I had never thought in advance about it.

I moved for other reasons in a few months.

Not sure if I'd hate the noise and feel at this point in my life; maybe; I assume it matters whether you're a renter or buyer, long-term or short-term?

Old 03-01-2017, 10:49 PM

39 posts, read 46,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean900 View Post
I'm a light sleeper and I'm wondering how much do I have to worry about noise and shaking from trains passing through on Beacon Hill if I'm on ground floor? I tried to check it out in person, just walking up and down Anderson and Grove, and while considerable squeaking can be heard at 3 minute intervals my friends keep assuring me it's nothing to worry about.

Which streets would be ok? Charles? Joy? Thank you for your help!

My friend lives on Anderson street by TD bank. He's on the 2nd floor. I've been there several times and can't hear the trains rumbling underneath and I'm the type of light sleeper that hates the sound of the clock ticking. I think there are several Airbnb rooms in the area. Maybe try them out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston