U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 02:38 PM

7,859 posts, read 6,812,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I'm into fitness and working out. A friend from back home suggested I join a Crossfit Gym to make friends. I enjoy working out alone but I do miss the social aspect, especially with people who share the same interests as I do. I like lifting but enjoy anything active, really. I see the same people at the gym everyday because we're always there at the same time. It would be nice to be friendly with the regulars but since they're all men and I'm a woman I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea that I'm hitting on them. I've thought about doing Tough Mudder and similar obstacle courses. My gym offers classes but like I said, I prefer working out alone but I might start checking them out.
Crossfit is really only for super outgoing people that rarely want to be alone, so I'm not sure it'd be for you. I feel drained just listening to people talk about it.

Gym classes I think are good. The male-female dynamic might be weird but different gyms are really quite varying in this regard. I became good platonic friends with a girl in kickboxing class a couple years ago, so it can happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 08:32 PM

117 posts, read 74,527 times
I'd recommend the Bristol Lounge at the Four Seasons. It's an upscale but not overly stuffy environment, dress is smart casual, and there are many nice sofas, tables and seating areas. They even have a dessert buffet during the spring/summer, be sure to call and check but it's a great environment to unwind and enjoy a light meal or full meal.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:35 PM

49 posts, read 41,296 times
Improv Asylum - learn to work on your jokes (i've never been)

Dance Classes - you'll get a work out in as well, killing two birds at one time

VOLUNTEER - stop worrying about yourself and try to do something HELPFUL for society

Adult martial art classes - I know a few people who develop a lot of acquittances doing BJJ

Book clubs - READ and LEARN

Hotel bars - tend to be biz people (consults and people who are on work assignments) and are pretty open to random conversations

Also, work on learning to talk to people. Most people are too afraid to engage in conversation and/or feel like they're being judged. Instead focus on being in the moment and understand what is driving the other person. [for example - i just wrote this post and it took me 10mins - realize that - how should you respond to this?]

Old 02-21-2017, 08:23 AM

3,972 posts, read 1,940,197 times
24-hour hackathon events ? (some non-technical people can be idea people).

does salsa/merengue classes count as nite-club ?

Old 02-21-2017, 01:44 PM

41 posts, read 20,374 times
What is the legal time for last call in Boston?

Old 02-21-2017, 01:52 PM

7,859 posts, read 6,812,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoca View Post
What is the legal time for last call in Boston?
2 am. However, many bars close at 1.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:44 AM

433 posts, read 270,023 times
Try Cambridge Hackerspace or Artisan's Asylum in Cambridge. They're makerspaces, even if you don't have a project right now you want to work on, its a great place to just see some interesting projects and get inspired yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or