U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 07:52 PM

2,746 posts, read 2,094,121 times

Advertisements

I've decided to take a break from the social and dating scene for a while. I still want to be around people but I just want to enjoy my own company for a bit. With that said, weekend nights can get a bit lonely. I was wondering what are some things to do by oneself aside from bars/clubs? I've been to Trident bookstore once after work on a Friday night. Had dinner and did some reading. Are there more places like this? With couches perhaps? Other ideas would be going to the movies by myself. I'm not a big sports fan so going to games would be out of the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 08:01 AM

1,119 posts, read 444,257 times
Movies are a good option. Check Brattle, Kendall, and Coolidge for movies that are not huge blockbusters, and some old good classics. Live music is usually my go to as well. There a few good venues to check out depending on what you are into.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:19 AM

7,915 posts, read 6,848,399 times
I feel ya. Thinking Cup (at least the one in North End) is open until 11 pm on weekends, used to go there a lot. Last night I went to Caffe Nero (new one in Brookline) o0pen until 9 (not super late, but for Sunday it's pretty decent) with comfortable setup. I also like going to the BSO by myself, though admittedly that can be more expensive. It is a good experience though. Brattle Theatre in Harvard Square shows some interesting indie or foreign films which can be a bit more engaging than others sometimes.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:50 AM

8,761 posts, read 8,977,895 times
What are your hobbies?

When I took a dating break, I joined a few leagues and such to keep busy. I was part of a Bocce league, pool league, go kart racing league, trap shooting league, paintball league, built and tended reef aquariums, worked on cars, part of a car show scene, built drones, golf league, and probably a few other leagues I am forgetting about. Met a lot of people doing this, and it translated into making a lot of new friends

Now I'm married...so my free time to do all that stuff is gone.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:12 AM

50 posts, read 24,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
What are your hobbies?

When I took a dating break, I joined a few leagues and such to keep busy. I was part of a Bocce league, pool league, go kart racing league, trap shooting league, paintball league, built and tended reef aquariums, worked on cars, part of a car show scene, built drones, golf league, and probably a few other leagues I am forgetting about. Met a lot of people doing this, and it translated into making a lot of new friends

I joined S3 Boston when I moved here and I've met quite a few people playing volley ball. And it's very not competitive, which is nice, because I have no natural athletic talent. They have leagues that play Tuesday and Saturday and spring signup is starting now, fwiw.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:48 PM

1,944 posts, read 1,081,648 times
You could go to a comedy show. That's a different vibe compared to a club/bar.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:48 PM

528 posts, read 374,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb885 View Post
I joined S3 Boston when I moved here and I've met quite a few people playing volley ball. And it's very not competitive, which is nice, because I have no natural athletic talent. They have leagues that play Tuesday and Saturday and spring signup is starting now, fwiw.
Yay for S3! I have been in the league for over three years now.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:30 PM

643 posts, read 833,344 times
Quote:
What are your hobbies?

Where did you go trap shooting?

Old 02-15-2017, 08:39 AM

8,761 posts, read 8,977,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
Where did you go trap shooting?

Private range I'm a member of. Not sure if they do a public shoot though

Old 02-15-2017, 02:47 PM

2,746 posts, read 2,094,121 times
Quote:
What are your hobbies?

I'm into fitness and working out. A friend from back home suggested I join a Crossfit Gym to make friends. I enjoy working out alone but I do miss the social aspect, especially with people who share the same interests as I do. I like lifting but enjoy anything active, really. I see the same people at the gym everyday because we're always there at the same time. It would be nice to be friendly with the regulars but since they're all men and I'm a woman I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea that I'm hitting on them. I've thought about doing Tough Mudder and similar obstacle courses. My gym offers classes but like I said, I prefer working out alone but I might start checking them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or