U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2017, 07:59 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,193,284 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else feel like working in the boston/cambridge area is really intense? Ive really started to feel it the past few years. I was at one place for 6 years and the another place for 2 years and both places were ok in terms of work level. Eveyone worked hard while we were there but weekends were not for working and things wrapped up for the most part around 5 or 6.

The place im at now i cant tell if its just the company or is it everywhere. The work literally never stops and it seems like people never stop working. I think having email has made it easier to prolong work days. I have one colleague who starts his day at home from 5am to 8am, then comes in, stays until 3 then goes home where he still works. We have other employees in pakistan and gets on early to work with them.

I feel like my work place is almost a cult or something. Everyone has an incredible amount of energy, they are always excited, seems like it's rare that anyone ever says anything negative about what is going on. About a year ago though we had a large number of people leave and the company finally addressed it. Our mission statement changed and people were upset with that and apparently some people felt overworked and like they were getting nothing in return.

I was talking to a very level headed friend in her 40s about this and she said, this is just how it is in boston and it's gotten worse over the past few years. She thinks it's become a very stressful place to live and said she'd move if it werent for her family amd job-shes a psychologist. She thinks standards have become incredibly high and she says she likes high standards but she thinks it's become ridiculous..and then we got to talking about real estate...maybe this is a big driver? People paranoid they wont have a place to live if they dont work their ass off?

I kind of worry about raising my children in this type of environment. I always felt lucky to have great schools but kids feel so much pressure these days. My kids are still so young, 1 and 2.5. but i dont see things getting less stressful.

Anyone else feel this? I imagine if you didnt grow up here you probably wont notice these changes that i have around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 09:01 PM

350 posts, read 138,071 times
I work in Boston on a trading floor and it's not quiet by any means.

I'll be hitting my tenth year on that floor this year and the activeness doesn't phase me. You are right. There are some people who literally start work in the 5am hour. Someone just left our area to a better job in the division and when they worked in Ops with us, they were remoted in at 5:30am doing whatever work. Our head fixed trader literally comes in at 6am and he's the most energetic guy you'll ever meet. I'm also guilty of this. Technically I'm supposed to be there around 8 and leave when the majority of the work is done. I get these competitive drives and always get there around 7:20ish and try to leave at a decent time where I don't get burnt out. I don't know what it is. I've always made sure I left no room for anyone to question how honest or hard I've worked. You just don't want to be that guy. Maybe it's a little bit of ego and not wanting anyone to surpass me.

I'm in my early 30s and single so I don't have family priorities to really rush home to really. What sucks though is I commute from RI so sometimes I'm out of my place from 5:30-6am to 8 at night (I'm still working to move up closer, that's another whole story). Along with commuting from RI, the train is ALWAYS packed even if you take the 6AM or 7PM!

I definitely understand your point though. It can be unhealthy because it's so competitive. I got a promotion a few years ago and it felt like a chip on my shoulder where I was intentionally working long days to justify that I still would work hard and led me to getting an ulcer last fall that caused other problems. Luckily I regained some of my energy since then.

We did an organization/managerial structure change this month where I lost all of my management team and we acquired the manager who nobody likes working with. I've been happy but everyone else was happy they were leaving. This left me with a lot of extra issues but I'm just extra motivated now to help make our team unbelievably great despite the circumstances. It also helps because we got a new boss and he's brought this new cinergy that we've never seen before that I'm taking advantage of with my own career. I literally spent extra hours fine tuning stuff on our desk because of all the new things I've learned in just a week. These new events have added pressure but I'm so motivated to take advantage of the situation and run with it.

Last edited by jvmillion83; 02-18-2017 at 09:17 PM..

Old 02-18-2017, 09:12 PM

39 posts, read 29,605 times
I guess it depends on what type of job you have and which company you work for. Many days after work I do feel mentally drained. Many times I'm doing the work of 2 people. I think a lot of the companies have cut down the amount of workers they've hired.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:16 PM

Default Re

Yes people who dont have families definitely have an advantage over people who do particularly women. I recall a girl had a baby around the same time i did and she was still doing work doing maternity leave. Pissed me off. I remember someone saying, oh well, that's just her, she was ready to be back, etc. People like her make people who take the full leave and dont do work during it look bad. Perhaps this is the reason we only get 3 months (some places less and not paid!) And other countries get 1 year. Im done having children though so I guess that's no longer my problem.

People shouldnt be working at 3 in the morning. It's weird. It doesn't even make you look good, it makes you look troubled. One guy in my dept always feels the need to tell us when he worked etc and how stressed he is...yet he never comes off as stressed, he seems calm. If he's that stressed and working at 3am why stay? I am thinking of looking elsewhere...but i dont find job hunting fun and my job lets me work from home once a week. I guess ive become comfortable yet im more often uncomfortable i guess.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:25 PM

Default Re

Also it seems like there are no laid back positions out there anymore. Everything is urgent and the work is piled on. What type of job allows someone to not have to do much? Seems like everything is super busy. I guess the laid back jobs have been cut. I think being a receptionist is a job that USED to maybe be more laid back. They checked people in, that's about it. Where i am the receptionist is also the office manager and its a very busy job.

Lifeguard maybe? Or have lifeguards been automated now...ha.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:59 AM

3,444 posts, read 4,348,222 times
It's intense compared to the West Coast or the South, but I've had multiple people tell me how much less intense it is than NYC or The City (ie London).

Old 02-19-2017, 10:21 AM

Default Re

In the uk people still get a year maternity leave.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:37 AM

3,444 posts, read 4,348,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
In the uk people still get a year maternity leave.
They could get five years and The City would still be more intense than Boston.

My wife's company had a branch there and when I asked her if she would consider working there her answer was "no way, way too sexist and way too intense".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft....8-00144feabdc0

Old 02-19-2017, 10:38 AM

486 posts, read 360,497 times
Work smarter, not harder. Give it some thought, get creative and you can turn that 12 hour stressful day into leisurely 4 hours.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:28 AM

444 posts, read 459,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
They could get five years and The City would still be more intense than Boston.

My wife's company had a branch there and when I asked her if she would consider working there her answer was "no way, way too sexist and way too intense".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft....8-00144feabdc0
My friend in the UK who works in finance was telling me about how she pretty much has to wear a tailored dress, hose, and a jacket every day otherwise people will think she's given up on her career. Not pants, not shirt with skirt and jacket...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or