Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 02:47 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times

Advertisements

I heard of Roxbury, Dorchester, and Mattapan. Am I missing any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 03:00 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
I heard of Roxbury, Dorchester, and Mattapan. Am I missing any?
Those are the main 3. Half of JP is a craphole as well (the side that borders Roxbury) A lot of Charlestown is garbage, Southie where it borders Dorchester, 90% of East Boston.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:37 PM

596 posts, read 817,834 times
Dorchester is huge. It's not all a "hood," if I am understanding your use of that word accurately.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:53 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Those are the main 3. Half of JP is a craphole as well (the side that borders Roxbury) A lot of Charlestown is garbage, Southie where it borders Dorchester, 90% of East Boston.

:shoc ked:

Old 01-30-2017, 03:59 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
These would make great descriptors in real estate brochures and listings.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:04 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
lol. Charlestown really?? I am fairly cynical but from what I see of Charlestown it's very nice. I know it has the whole Irish bad boy/bank robber connections but that is old Charlestown. Charlestown seems very similar to beacon hill to me.

Pretty much all of southie is nice except the part near andrew station.

Dorchester is very big, but definitely has some bad parts. I am not familiar enough with Roxbury, but apparently parts of it are nice now?

I'd say Mattapan, East Boston, Roxbury and parts of Dorchester are as hood as it gets. People keep saying Eastie is gentrifying but it seems there are too many people dying due to MS13 there to be truly gentrifying.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:21 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times
Charlestown is not the hood and hasn't been for years. It's rather bohemian and safe now. JP is not dangerous, sure it borders some sketchy neighborhoods but it is a beautiful neighborhood that has really come a long way. Roxbury, a large chunk of Dorchester, and Mattapan I agree with. And I've worked as a Uber/Lyft driver on Friday/Saturday nights so I have experience with which neighborhoods are bad.

And none of Southie is bad. The part that borders Dorchester, Andrew Square, is gentrifying rapidly. The neighborhood it borders in the Dot, Savin Hill, is probably the nicest Dot neighborhood and has lots of gentrification potential.

Eastie does have gang problems but it is gentrifying rapidly. The part by the water, Jefferies Point, is acutally pretty nice and a hidden gem (a hidden gem that has been rapidly increasing in price)

Old 01-30-2017, 06:09 PM

101 posts, read 115,960 times
Default Re

The parts of JP that aren't great are forest hills and the paet that borders egelston square.

Also the section of hyde park near mattapan is also probably considered 'hood'. Some might consider a few parts of roslindale hood.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:16 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
A few parts of Hyde Park near Mattapan and I guess Roslindale can be sketchy for like a few blocks (more so just some bad actors I wouldnt call Roslindale hood unless youre in the projects). Dorchester probably has some of the worst are in between Dot Ave and Blue Hill Ave. Deep in Dorchester/Roxbury its will get very hood, more so in terms of the street level activity than just the appearance of the neighborhood. Then there are some tough cities right outside of Boston e.g. Lynn Everett, Revere, Chelsea, parts of Malden.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:33 AM

101 posts, read 115,960 times
Default Re

Oh yes many rough areas outside of boston. Too many to list. Boston overall is pretty safe. Hoods can't afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston