Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2017, 01:11 AM

2,912 posts, read 5,122,332 times

Advertisements

Haven't been s member since 2004. Went to the Fenway gym and sometimes Allston.
Just checked the Dorchester one. No major crime issues, as it's in the desired section, in Adams Village/Galllivan Blvd.

So they still give towels to members upon check in. This can lead to slobs just tossing towels on the floor, benches or left soaked on the shower floor. Is this a major issue at your BSC or any other clubs? Or it wouldn't even bother you?

At least Planet Fitness in Quincy requires you to supply your own towel for their $10/month membership. And that way nobody leaves towels strewn about, as they take them home after a workout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 06:13 AM

546 posts, read 1,368,130 times
I am a long term gym rat. For me, I won't even take my sneakers off in any gym as it is a rare gym that really takes a constant vigilance in true cleaning and disinfecting. Shower at home.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:17 AM

546 posts, read 1,368,130 times
I don't blame most gyms, it is more the nature of the beast that a small number of members are just slobs and bring the slobness with them. Bostonguy, I use that Planet Fitness sometimes as a guest in Dorchester right by Galivan Boulivard next to the Sozio Furnature place. That is cleaner place than most, but still cannot bring myself to use the facilities. Not a fan of the Planet Fitness as a rule and will not join one, but use them some as I travel for work and they are handy.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:18 AM

2,912 posts, read 5,122,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lanata View Post
I don't blame most gyms, it is more the nature of the beast that a small number of members are just slobs and bring the slobness with them. Bostonguy, I use that Planet Fitness sometimes as a guest in Dorchester right by Galivan Boulivard next to the Sozio Furnature place. That is cleaner place than most, but still cannot bring myself to use the facilities. Not a fan of the Planet Fitness as a rule and will not join one, but use them some as I travel for work and they are handy.
Hmmmm...I spoke to an acquaintance who had poor words about the Dorchester PF a few years ago.. I think he liked the Quincy one better (or had he not even tried it...whatever?). I think it was the '"type" of clientele in the Dorchester one more than any issue with cleanliness, though

I only went for five weeks at the Quincy location a few years ago before a surgery had me curtail activity, and I shamefully never went to a gym thereafter. I went to an outdoor track yesterday, in that blustety wind, and actually enjoyed my 45-minute walk -- but I never broke a sweat, even though overweight, and it's not challenging due to no hills on a track.

Fallacy: walking is great exercise? I read years ago in a personal trainer's question and answer column that it can be/should be part of fitness routine but NOT the main or only aspect. Probably true? At least for weight loss itself? At least it gets my heart moving, right?

I'm a clean freak, almost to a detriment, and I had very low expectations for any PF -- but I really liked the Quincy spot...finding the clients decent (likely more so than me!) with not too much of a thug factor present, if at all during most visitd. Didn't see any bandaids or other weird things in the individual shower stalls. I would join that location anytime.

I don't think Gold's gym would be any cleaner, and I assume it's at least $50 plus monthly?

The nice and modern Quincy YMCA is $67 (!!!!!!) monthly plus $100 joining fee, waived in December only (?), and I don't qualify for public assistance or senior fees. I knew it's at least $57, as of a few years ago, but $67!? A neighbor complained about Chinese men there washing their clothes in the sink...no surprise in Quincy? Yuck.

Sure, Equinox sounds great, but isn't it $150 or more monthly, and maybe double that to join? The clientele is a bit fancy for me as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston