U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 05:08 PM

11,408 posts, read 16,055,544 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if any CSAs deliver, but Crescent Ridge Farms delivers glass botteld milk and cream to my Waltham office! They may very well deliver to residential homes, or at least you can find it for purchase in some local farm stores (especially easy if your spouse stays at home for homeschooling). There are some great local farmstands in the summer for amazing sweet corn, as well as places like Wilson Farm or Wagon Wheel (in Waltham) which has year-round local produce, meat, and dairy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 05:14 PM

23 posts, read 32,310 times
Okay - searching Waltham I notice that there is are different areas - the Lanes, Lakeview, North, Waltham proper. Any pros/cons to each area?

Old 03-06-2017, 05:15 PM

Swooning over Crescent Ridge Farms. Will also check out those farms. We eat (and purchase) locally sourced meats and would want to do that in MA. SO excited now. This area looks to be a very good lead for our family. MUCH appreciated again.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:35 PM

643 posts, read 834,424 times
Hello -

We were clued into the Cedarwood neighborhood by this forum when we moved to MA and I would recommend it. There are many young families and a recently renovated local park. Waltham has two commuter rail stops: It's a 15-20 min walk to the Brandeis commuter rail stop or a 10 min drive to the downtown Waltham stop. If you don't mind a 12 mile ride, it is possible to bike into Cambridge, relatively easily (separated bike path along the river).

Inventory is very low. There is a new house going up but I'm going to guess it will be around 800k+.

Waltham also has its own farm and CSA. You may also want to check out the Warrendale neighborhood.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:42 PM

New question - is their busing for students in public and private schools in MA? I ask because there is no busing here in the Bay Area. It does make a difference on where you live if you have to drive your child to school and back each day and travel any distance. I'm assuming traffic in Boston is as terrible as it is here.

Also, thoughts on Medford? I spotted two houses there that were fabulous. I tend toward older homes with original features (or as many as possible). I know someone mentioned Medford above - is it as livable as Waltham?

Old 03-07-2017, 06:37 AM

3,597 posts, read 1,847,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingoutofpa View Post
New question - is their busing for students in public and private schools in MA? I ask because there is no busing here in the Bay Area. It does make a difference on where you live if you have to drive your child to school and back each day and travel any distance. I'm assuming traffic in Boston is as terrible as it is here.

Also, thoughts on Medford? I spotted two houses there that were fabulous. I tend toward older homes with original features (or as many as possible). I know someone mentioned Medford above - is it as livable as Waltham?
Busing is town dependent. Here in my town, buses are provided for all kids that live at least 1/2 mile from school. I don't believe that many towns offer buses for private schools although the private high schools that draw from a large region will coordinate a bus the parents pay for.

Medford is pretty nice city. Commuter rail to Boston and light rail is planned to West Medford and Tufts University someday. The commuter rail will require backtracking to Cambridge but depending on where you have to be, it's driveable. It's more urban close to the Somerville line and more suburban towards the Winchester and Arlington lines. Davis Sq. is close by and access to 93 runs through town.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:55 AM

628 posts, read 449,533 times
If you look at a map of Boston and see the rt.129/95 ring that goes around, communities just inside tend to be urban and outside more suburban or rural. The further INSIDE that ring you go the more dense and more urban it becomes, but not necessarily with the amenities (transportation, restaurants,etc.) that you might expect from an urban environment. Medford falls into this category, no commuter rail, no subway, urban two-family density. West Medford is lovely and has its own elementary school but that's about all to love of Medford. I would recommend Melrose over Medford all day long. East Medford can still be rough and townie, a friend sold her house because the neighborhood teens had burned down the plastic playground, the city never rebuilt it, she didn't feel like her kids were safe at the school. (But really compared to anywhere else Greater Boston is very very very safe so just take her feelings with a grain of salt.)

My problem with Malden, Melrose, Wakefield, etc. (and others may disagree) is that all of the communities along the 93N/S path share this one (literal) Main Street that is such a clogged trafficy drag that alternates between cute downtown and strip mall hell but is unescapable for daily living. Again, I personally prefer communities right on the edge of the inner ring so that I don't feel trapped by sloggy urban density.

Melrose also has a commuter rail stop, a close subway stop, better schools than Waltham, and access to the Fells(park) and a YMCA, and there is a sad zoo in Stoneham. FWIW it was my Medford/Melrose friend that shared my Waltham CSA and still hauled over to Waltham to shop at Russo's.

Finding older homes is the norm in MA so I wouldn't worry too much about that desire being left unfilled.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:39 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,229,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
IMedford falls into this category, no commuter rail, no subway, urban two-family density.
Medford has a station on the Lowell Line (W. Medford) and is close to the Malden Center and Wyoming stops on the Haverhill line. Orange line rapid transit stops at the southeastern edge of Medford and at Malden Center too. So it's not that much of a transit desert. A big chunk of the Middlesex Fells is within Medford-- popular for hiking, mtn biking, and Medford has its own swim beach at Wrights Pond in the fells. West Medford also has the Mystic Lakes and beach there. Not so bad!

Even so, Melrose is the 'nicer' of the two -- more uniformly middle class, more single-fam houses, less diverse.

True, most houses are holder within the Rte 128 ring but lots of opportunities over the years for former owners to have made hideous renovation choices you'd not want to have to undo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or