U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 10:46 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,017,508 times

Advertisements

Will your wife have a job lined up before you move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 11:06 AM

2,771 posts, read 1,578,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayyz View Post
$2000 a month is totally doable- if you're willing to live in an old apartment with a lot of college aged students in the area. It really depends on which hospital the wife works at, if you need parking, etc. I had a friend that lived on Westland ave by Berklee. Lots of apartments there. Or you might want to consider Allston and Brighton.
Brighton and most especially Allston will have a lot more college students than Brookline. When I lived there (which was a while ago, but I can't imagine it's changed that much) there were quite a few graduate students, but very, very few undergraduate students. As prices have increased, I would assume the percentage of undergraduates would have gone no place but down since I lived there.

When we were in our third year of law school, 4 of us were renting an apartment together. (We ended up in a huge, gorgeous apartment on Boyleston Street, but it looks like it's since changed hands and sold for over $1 million since then.) We looked at and considered a few places in Newton. That would have been a further drive for us going to B.U. and it's a little further if you're going to the Longwood area. But it would have been do-able. (And it still has the T, just again, a longer ride.) There were 4 of us, as opposed to 2 people who only need a 1 BR, so our parameters were a little different, and the comparable rent for us was higher, but if, for some reason, nothing is working out in Brookline, you could consider some parts of Newton. (And Newton is not an inexpensive location, either. It's just a little less than Brookline.)

Another place where some friends of ours' lived that was less expensive was Watertown. Again, not as convenient as Brookline, and our friends used the bus more than the T, but a possibility if you must search beyond Brookline.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:25 PM

5 posts, read 5,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
I'd start the search there, unless your wife is going to work at MGH--that's a different commute than the hospitals in Longwood. Could extend out to Washington Square, too.

The parts of Brookline that are on the T do not have a suburban feel, IMHO.
We won't know exactly where her job would be, but she will likely have her eye trained on the hospitals in Longwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Will your wife have a job lined up before you move?
Yes, that is certainly the plan. She will hopefully secure something later this Spring/early Summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Brighton and most especially Allston will have a lot more college students than Brookline. When I lived there (which was a while ago, but I can't imagine it's changed that much) there were quite a few graduate students, but very, very few undergraduate students. As prices have increased, I would assume the percentage of undergraduates would have gone no place but down since I lived there.

When we were in our third year of law school, 4 of us were renting an apartment together. (We ended up in a huge, gorgeous apartment on Boyleston Street, but it looks like it's since changed hands and sold for over $1 million since then.) We looked at and considered a few places in Newton. That would have been a further drive for us going to B.U. and it's a little further if you're going to the Longwood area. But it would have been do-able. (And it still has the T, just again, a longer ride.) There were 4 of us, as opposed to 2 people who only need a 1 BR, so our parameters were a little different, and the comparable rent for us was higher, but if, for some reason, nothing is working out in Brookline, you could consider some parts of Newton. (And Newton is not an inexpensive location, either. It's just a little less than Brookline.)

Another place where some friends of ours' lived that was less expensive was Watertown. Again, not as convenient as Brookline, and our friends used the bus more than the T, but a possibility if you must search beyond Brookline.
We will add Newton and possibly Watertown as backup areas to look in. The commute time is actually one of the biggest factors for my wife so we can't live too far out.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:33 PM

2,771 posts, read 1,578,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin314 View Post
We will add Newton and possibly Watertown as backup areas to look in. The commute time is actually one of the biggest factors for my wife so we can't live too far out.
Hey, if your wife ended up with a job at Newton Wellesley hospital, it could work out great.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:27 PM

2,769 posts, read 2,214,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Brookline actually has a ton of undergrads- mommy and daddy have deeper pockets than you think. Allston/Brighton is for the peasants on financial aid or entry level workers who can't rely on mommy and daddy to pay rent anymore.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:18 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,197,578 times
Yep Brookline has a lot of rich BC kids.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:35 AM

7,335 posts, read 8,991,221 times
If you wait until August, there might not be anything left, and I'm not exaggerating. This town is chock full of college students, and virtually everything dries up by that time..

Old 03-10-2017, 08:36 AM

449 posts, read 461,382 times
Depends where in Brookline you're looking. Many of the professionally managed buildings won't rent to undergrads. I don't know if DM84 and Whatsnext75 live or lived in Brookline recently, but I did and we had no negative experiences with undergraduate students living around us. If you look south of Beacon Street you're less likely to get them. Obviously the closer to BU and BC you get, the more you'll get.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:44 AM

7,892 posts, read 6,822,879 times
Hmm my gf lives at Washington square. Can't say I see many students. It'd be pretty boring for an undergrad.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:09 AM

2,769 posts, read 2,214,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
Depends where in Brookline you're looking. Many of the professionally managed buildings won't rent to undergrads. I don't know if DM84 and Whatsnext75 live or lived in Brookline recently, but I did and we had no negative experiences with undergraduate students living around us. If you look south of Beacon Street you're less likely to get them. Obviously the closer to BU and BC you get, the more you'll get.
I wasn't implying that undergrads were bad. All I'm saying is there are a decent amount of them in Brookline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston