U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 05:22 PM

5 posts, read 5,981 times

Advertisements

Howdy all,

Need some customized advice for my pending move to Boston. My wife and I will be in the city around early August. I will be attending BU Charles River for grad school and the wife could potentially be working at one of the larger hospitals in the city.

We're looking for a place that's not much more than a 20 minute commute by public transit and our budget is around $1800/mo with the goal of not exceeding $2000/mo. Wondering if we can get a 1BR (preferably with in-unit w/d) in that range.

We are in our late 20s, somewhat introverted and homebodies, but we'd like to live in a walkable neighborhood with close proximity to restaurants, cafes, parks, T service, etc. Not huge on nightlife but a few nearby bars is okay.

1) Is there anything in our budget that would meet the above criteria? I see Brookline keeps popping up as a suggestion for similar queries.

2) We have a friend in Boston who just told us that tenants are supposed to inform landlords of a moveout 6 months in advance and suggested we start looking now. That seems crazy long to me. Any truth to that statement???

Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 05:30 PM

2,769 posts, read 1,571,313 times
You really, really, really want Brookline. The budget will be tight, but I think you could find something, although I'm not sure it would have a w/d in unit. But sacrifice anything you can to get in Brookline.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
You really, really, really want Brookline. The budget will be tight, but I think you could find something, although I'm not sure it would have a w/d in unit. But sacrifice anything you can to get in Brookline.
Sweet, that's helpful. Are you from Chicago? I'm there now. We're living in Andersonville so I'm wondering if Brookline would have the same "flavor."

Old 03-08-2017, 06:29 PM

2,769 posts, read 1,571,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin314 View Post
Sweet, that's helpful. Are you from Chicago? I'm there now. We're living in Andersonville so I'm wondering if Brookline would have the same "flavor."
Born there and lived there several times for a number of years. It is my favorite city.
I have not lived in Andersonville, and haven't spent much time there since it became a hot place to live. I have an uncle who lives there.

I don't really know how to compare the towns. I guess it has some of the same kind of feel. Boston overall has more of a town kind of feeling to it, whereas Chicago has more of a true urban vibe in its downtown. Brookline is interesting -- it's a real mix, in that there are families who live there (and some houses with old money, and the house where JFK was born, etc), and also a lot of young people with no kids, a lot of older people who've lived there a long time, and a lot of graduate students. The single family houses are very expensive, and a lot of families who really want Brookline live in condos, and are willing to sacrifice the SFH in order to live there.

Some parts are more walkable than others. Places like Coolidge Corner and Washington Square are very walkable, and have lots of restaurants and shops. (It's very easy to get to BU from Coolidge Corner -- I lived in that area when I was a law student at B.U.) It's also easy to get to the Longwood area if your wife ends up working at a hospital. It also has lots of T access and it is so easy to get downtown or to Cambridge. I really think you'll be happy in Brookline.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:39 PM

39 posts, read 29,605 times
$2000 a month is totally doable- if you're willing to live in an old apartment with a lot of college aged students in the area. It really depends on which hospital the wife works at, if you need parking, etc. I had a friend that lived on Westland ave by Berklee. Lots of apartments there. Or you might want to consider Allston and Brighton.

June and September are crazy move-in move-out days. I would recommend to start looking around now and maybe make 1-2 visits to see which areas you like. If you like an apartment, you pretty much need to be ready with your checkbook/cashier's check ready with your rental application. Or you could take over someone's lease to get a better feel of the city and then decide what area you like.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:23 PM

1,923 posts, read 1,067,550 times
Finding a washer and dryer for under 2k a month will be nearly impossible. I'd either raise your budget or cross that off your list.

I think Fenway would be a good neighborhood. Very easy access to both BU and the Longwood Medical Area. Brookline would be good too if you want more of a suburban feel.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:42 PM

5,680 posts, read 5,010,551 times
Do you mean you're going to come in August to look for an apartment? If so, that's late. Your budget is relatively low (though not impossibly so) and you'll be competing with people who want the same thing as you. I'd definitely come out earlier and line up viewings with a broker.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayyz View Post
$2000 a month is totally doable- if you're willing to live in an old apartment with a lot of college aged students in the area. It really depends on which hospital the wife works at, if you need parking, etc. I had a friend that lived on Westland ave by Berklee. Lots of apartments there. Or you might want to consider Allston and Brighton.

June and September are crazy move-in move-out days. I would recommend to start looking around now and maybe make 1-2 visits to see which areas you like. If you like an apartment, you pretty much need to be ready with your checkbook/cashier's check ready with your rental application. Or you could take over someone's lease to get a better feel of the city and then decide what area you like.
From everything I've read, it's the September 1st move-in that really warrants the extended 6-month lead time. August, it seems, won't have availability until the standard 2 or so months beforehand. My very cursory searches haven't yielded anything for August yet.

Also re: Allston/Brighton, I've heard that area is very college townesque. I think we prefer to be with others in their late 20s, but I can stand a few college kids here and there. We're fine with living in an old building- obviously rehabbed or w/ new appliances preferable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Finding a washer and dryer for under 2k a month will be nearly impossible. I'd either raise your budget or cross that off your list.

I think Fenway would be a good neighborhood. Very easy access to both BU and the Longwood Medical Area. Brookline would be good too if you want more of a suburban feel.
I think at this point we both concede that the w/d is a luxury. $2K is a bit of sticker shock for us as the place we're living now in Chicago is less than $1K/mo.

We will check out Fenway. I think the wife is partial to a more residential/suburban environment whereas I'm a city-dweller, so Brookline may be a good compromise even if it'll cost a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Do you mean you're going to come in August to look for an apartment? If so, that's late. Your budget is relatively low (though not impossibly so) and you'll be competing with people who want the same thing as you. I'd definitely come out earlier and line up viewings with a broker.
No, we'll probably be making 1-2 trips out there in person sometime later in the Spring. With an August move-in, I'm thinking we will want to secure a place by June sometime? Is that a realistic expectation?

Old 03-09-2017, 06:22 AM

444 posts, read 459,906 times
You sound very much like my husband and me (your interests, not your work/commuting locations). We lived in Coolidge Corner and loved it--until we decided we were paying too much for a small basement apartment. We paid $1850 or so. Did not have in unit w/d--you probably won't find that in your budget--but the building itself had laundry room.

I'd start the search there, unless your wife is going to work at MGH--that's a different commute than the hospitals in Longwood. Could extend out to Washington Square, too.

The parts of Brookline that are on the T do not have a suburban feel, IMHO.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:23 AM

444 posts, read 459,906 times
Oh also we were able to secure an apartment on July 6 for a July 15 move-in, but we were dealing with a big management company. I don't know how rare that is--we were staying with family so timeline wasn't an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston