U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 2,612 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I are moving to Boston this fall for her new job next to the Charlestown navy yard. I will be transferring over with my current employer in the financial district. We are both in our late 20s and are looking for renting in a neighborhood that will provide her easy commute to work. Her job requires going in at late hours or weekends, thus making the commute a key factor. Considering the navy yard is not that well connected, the choices are limited. We would like to keep her commute to <30 mins if possible while keeping the rent under $2500 for a 1br.
We're not the kind of couple that likes going out that often, but would love to hang out with friends on weekends once we make some. We would love a dog friendly neighborhood as we have been thinking of getting one within the next yr.
Currently we are looking at Charlestown, Cambridge and Sommerville and feel like our budget might be reasonable. Any advice on this front and pros and cons that you guys can help us with?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 09:35 PM

Apologies, not sure if my above request was clear.
Can we have some help if figuring out if Charlestown is a good neighborhood for the price range and configuration we're looking for? Also had earlier heard some concerns about Charlestown not being the safest neighborhood. Should that be a concern if my wife plans to bike back and forth from work every day and night?
Sommerville is not too far either, would that be a better idea for a residence?
Any ideas or direction will be helpful.

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2017, 11:45 PM

614 posts, read 389,328 times
There is only one M in Somerville.

One-beds are tough to find in this area. You'd probably mostly be looking at newer/luxury apartment buildings. Most of the inventory is 2-3beds in multi family units around Charlestown/Cambridge/Somerville. And Charlestown is a lot of brick row houses.

Charlestown isn't as rough as it used to be. Some old timers will chip in about that I'm sure. The City Square area is beautiful. I think it's just the part of Charlestown near Sullivan Square that has a reputation for being sketchy these days. But I sometimes park-and-ride there with no issues.

You know there's the water taxi from the Navy Yard right?

Old 03-12-2017, 09:31 AM

466 posts, read 347,594 times
I know several people who live in Charlestown and think its pretty safe, especially the Navy Yard/Monument areas.
I think Charlestown is your best bet, given your wife's schedule. It is also close to the financial district, either by water taxi, Uber/Lyft, on foot, or by bike. I think you will be able to find something in your budget.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:04 PM

117 posts, read 74,975 times
Charlestown would be a solid option but your commute to the FiDi will be more of a challenge. Is your wife by chance joining Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital?

If so they have shuttles from North Station, Mass General, and several locations around Charlestown: Visitor Information | Arriving by Partners Shuttle | Spaulding Rehabilitation Network.

If you like going out, Charlestown is not the best pick but would check off the pet friendly requirement. In talking with people you may find transplants and even some locals relying on old/out of touch perspectives on C-Town, however the area has gentrified and improved in the past five years or so with several new restaurants and a Whole Foods Market location but it is still a fairly low key area and you'd have to cross the bridge to visit most restaurants and partake in the social scene. Will you be bringing and keeping a vehicle? Street parking is limited, but I believe in Charlestown with a resident permit it is easier than say Southie, Fenway-Kenmore or certainly Beacon Hill and Back Bay.

The other consideration is the hours you will both be working. If you will be working late as many in the financial district do, being closer and settling in somewhere in the North End may be a better option. Similarly if your wife will be working odd hours being closer to her workplace may be a better choice.

Cambridge, Somerville, the North End, and Charlestown all have somewhat different vibes and amenities nearby. With more detail on what you value in your next home and neighborhood we will be able to give you better guidance on areas to look that you will probably like.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:42 AM

614 posts, read 389,328 times
I really don't think Charlestown is "so far" from the Financial District. You are probably looking at walking ten minutes to a bus or the Orange Line, riding the Orange Line for ten minutes, then walking 10-15 minutes to your office. Not such an arduous journey.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:49 AM

32,810 posts, read 22,768,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
I really don't think Charlestown is "so far" from the Financial District. You are probably looking at walking ten minutes to a bus or the Orange Line, riding the Orange Line for ten minutes, then walking 10-15 minutes to your office. Not such an arduous journey.
Correct, its easy. Plenty of people catch the 93 which goes right through Charlestown and goes right to the FD, or they go to Sullivan or Bunker orange line, or the 92 to Haymarket and that's a short walk.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:05 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,221,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewban View Post
...however the area has gentrified and improved in the past five years or so with several new restaurants ...
Gentrified and improved in the last forty years! Five years is like overnight--this reinvestment in Charlestown has been under way for a long time. For example, Warren Tavern, an early gentrifier, was already going strong in 1973.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:21 AM

Thank s lot for all your comments guys. This is really helpful! I think we probably will go with Charlestown or east Somerville to start with. Love the idea of living in a loft there
Is there a golden number as to when you should start looking for an apartment in Boston? Coming from Chicago, I know anything more than 30 days before is just a waste of time. Should I assume that to be the same for Boston?

Thanks

Old 03-18-2017, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,774 times
Since there is a shortage in quality apartments I would start looking sooner rather than later. Most tenants do not give more than a 30 day notice so that is why the golden number makes sense and would be the same here. BUT since there is such a shortage, allowing more time may be advisable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or