U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2017, 07:03 AM

9 posts, read 41,387 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking for a house, actually a condo, in Roxbury or Dorchester because it is close to Boston. Can somebody tell me how's the area at Intervale St of zip code 02121 where close to Ceylon Park and Pilot Middle School? Is there Roxbury or Dorchester? Is it safe and good for family? I also think about if I sublease the condo, is it easy to a tenants or tenants from Unversities students? Thanks

Last edited by Leonalexng; 03-12-2017 at 07:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 08:52 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,213,438 times
This is the Grove Hall area of Dorchester which has a reputation for gang violence. As an outsider with no knowledge of the area I'd put my money in a safer location if I were you.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:20 AM

1,925 posts, read 1,071,445 times
The border of Roxbury and Dorchester is probably the worst part of Boston. While it isin't as bad as Detroit or Baltimore I personally would not live in that area.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:20 AM

486 posts, read 361,051 times
Intervale Street? Go for it if it's too good of a deal to pass up, but make sure your health insurance is up to date you get two MRAPs and unlimited supply of bulletproof vests thrown in at no extra charge along with the condo.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:47 AM

7,864 posts, read 6,815,901 times
Wouldn't live there if you paid me.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:58 AM

4,110 posts, read 1,720,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
wouldn't live there if you paid me.
x1000.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:19 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,196,076 times
Id be leery about moving a family there. Might be ok as a single person. I did live in a rougher area of Dorchester and i had neighbors who would drink, smoke pot and swear loud, etc on the porch. I wouldnt want kids growing up around that. I never worried about gang violence but it wasnt the best environment. The nicer family friendly parts of Dorchester are savin hill, ashmont, adams village and lower mills.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:04 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,012,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonalexng View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for a house, actually a condo, in Roxbury or Dorchester because it is close to Boston. Can somebody tell me how's the area at Intervale St of zip code 02121 where close to Ceylon Park and Pilot Middle School? Is there Roxbury or Dorchester? Is it safe and good for family? I also think about if I sublease the condo, is it easy to a tenants or tenants from Unversities students? Thanks
It's much better than Highland Park/Fort Hill, which I would absolutely suggest you avoid at all costs ... the most dangerous neighborhood for college students on the East Coast.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:53 AM

1,119 posts, read 856,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonalexng View Post
Hi,

Intervale Street? Oh my god. Ik the real estate market in Boston is crazy when someone on here would even type Intervale street in regards to living...

Naw just naw..thats making an aggressive attempt to finding the scoio-economic dynamics of the Wire season 3.

As for Whatsnext saying it might be okay if youre a single person. Definitely not- no dating, no restaurants, no public transit, and nauseatingly dangerous after dark (i have walked in grove hal at night 3/4 times and my friends are reluctant to let me eave without offering a baton/brick/knife,- all of which they have readily available to me, except one guy who rescinded his offer of his baton) and youre just a a mark-a sitting duck. I doubt anyone in Grove Hall just lives by themselves in an apartment. People pack in like sardines and I feel like you have to have a posse on you just in case.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-13-2017 at 08:06 AM..

Old 03-13-2017, 07:58 AM

1,119 posts, read 856,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
The border of Roxbury and Dorchester is probably the worst part of Boston. While it isin't as bad as Detroit or Baltimore I personally would not live in that area.
Its not as bad but its close and there are stretches of months when it can be as bad, there's a lot of gang in particular teenage gangs in that area. They are bold, robbery type bold.... to where I think you'd be facing actual danger as the sun fades or even as it begins to rise. Many people in the Grove Hall area have little sense of community and can be downright nasty-and that's my perspective as an African American who has lived in Roxbury and now teaches students from the Grove Hall area. You'd be better off looking closer to BLA like Elm Hill Avenue. That is if you want to look for a bargain and live in the hood and be decently safe-You know GH is bad when people in Roxbury avoid it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston