U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2017, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,854 posts, read 6,808,966 times
Reputation: 6573

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Welcome to Boston! Get ready for $800 100sqft rooms and 45 min 3 mile commutes.
Lol this is truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2017, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Forks,WA
3,006 posts, read 2,988,880 times
Reputation: 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
Will your salary change with the transfer? If you're looking to spend $800 on housing, don't make the move.
I don't believe so,so thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 09:51 AM
 
32,716 posts, read 22,666,022 times
Reputation: 29772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I don't believe so,so thanks.
For $800 you can room with 2-3 other people in a decent area.

If that's not your thing, then don't make the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Forks,WA
3,006 posts, read 2,988,880 times
Reputation: 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
For $800 you can room with 2-3 other people in a decent area.

If that's not your thing, then don't make the move.
I've got a wife & pets...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Camberville
11,395 posts, read 15,995,267 times
Reputation: 18034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I've got a wife & pets...
Are you able to at least double your current rental budget, plus more for utilities (oil heat can get pricy depending on the cost of oil that winter)? How many and what kind of pet are you talking about? Add extra cost for that, as well as more expensive vet bills than you're probably used to.

I wouldn't take a transfer without a significant salary bump.

What does your wife do for work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 02:10 PM
 
599 posts, read 383,844 times
Reputation: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I've got a wife & pets...
The last time I was paying $800/mo for rent was in 2008, when I shared a 4 bed with 3 other guys and one of their girlfriends in Somerville before the rental prices began to REALLY skyrocket there. (That was before heat/electic/cable btw).

My younger coworkers aren't even getting that kind of deal splitting out in Allston anymore. It seems like 1100-1200 is the going rent for a room.

Don't move if no cost of living adjustment. I think your lifestyle would be damaged irreparably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,854 posts, read 6,808,966 times
Reputation: 6573
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
The last time I was paying $800/mo for rent was in 2008, when I shared a 4 bed with 3 other guys and one of their girlfriends in Somerville before the rental prices began to REALLY skyrocket there. (That was before heat/electic/cable btw).

My younger coworkers aren't even getting that kind of deal splitting out in Allston anymore. It seems like 1100-1200 is the going rent for a room.

Don't move if no cost of living adjustment. I think your lifestyle would be damaged irreparably.
I pay 570 in brighton.

My peers have awful financial priorities and can't imagine life without a big screen, HBO go, Netflix, Hulu, MacBook pro, and walking more than 5 minutes to get anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Camberville
11,395 posts, read 15,995,267 times
Reputation: 18034
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I pay 570 in brighton.

My peers have awful financial priorities and can't imagine life without a big screen, HBO go, Netflix, Hulu, MacBook pro, and walking more than 5 minutes to get anywhere.
I'm not sure what the skyrocketing cost of rent has to do with financial priorities - rent doesn't go up because of Netflix. How long have you been in your current place?

I got into Medford 5 years ago at $580 a person for 3 bedrooms far from the T. In the past 5 years, my landlord has only raised the rent by $165 a month, but very similar apartments (and even worse - like no off-street parking and no washer-dryer in the building) on my street have increased by closer to $600 or $700 a month when people moved out. I would be paying at LEAST $800 a month to live with 2 roommates a 20 minute bus ride from the T today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,854 posts, read 6,808,966 times
Reputation: 6573
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm not sure what the skyrocketing cost of rent has to do with financial priorities - rent doesn't go up because of Netflix. How long have you been in your current place?

I got into Medford 5 years ago at $580 a person for 3 bedrooms far from the T. In the past 5 years, my landlord has only raised the rent by $165 a month, but very similar apartments (and even worse - like no off-street parking and no washer-dryer in the building) on my street have increased by closer to $600 or $700 a month when people moved out. I would be paying at LEAST $800 a month to live with 2 roommates a 20 minute bus ride from the T today.
Missed the point. Just because you know people that pay too much doesn't mean those places are the only options. There are cheaper options, just people think it's below them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Somerville, MA
884 posts, read 710,333 times
Reputation: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm not sure what the skyrocketing cost of rent has to do with financial priorities - rent doesn't go up because of Netflix. How long have you been in your current place?
Because the less of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I pay 570 in brighton.

My peers have awful financial priorities and can't imagine life without a big screen, HBO go, Netflix, Hulu, MacBook pro, and walking more than 5 minutes to get anywhere.
Means more of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Are you able to at least double your current rental budget, plus more for utilities (oil heat can get pricy depending on the cost of oil that winter)?
Before I bought my place I lived with several roommates. They kept asking how I could afford a down payment. Meanwhile they're making a several times weekly habit of washing down charcuterie plates with some overpriced tulip of treehouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top