U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 12:22 PM

32,716 posts, read 22,666,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
But people think they need 4 cats or whatever and still want to live in a walkable area not far from the T and under $1k for a one bedroom.

Just think they could up their budget if they didn't have so many pets.

We have a corgi and a cat at our house. Not really sure why.
Doesn't sound like you're an animal person. Some people aren't, some people are.

Again, it's not "need", it's want, and they become part of family. It's a pretty crappy person that takes a cat (or whatever) into their lives and the says, hey, I need to move, I better dump it so I can get the apartment I want. When I was searching for condos I absolutely turned down condos (one I really loved/wanted) because of pet restrictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 12:41 PM

7,854 posts, read 6,808,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Doesn't sound like you're an animal person. Some people aren't, some people are.

Again, it's not "need", it's want, and they become part of family. It's a pretty crappy person that takes a cat (or whatever) into their lives and the says, hey, I need to move, I better dump it so I can get the apartment I want. When I was searching for condos I absolutely turned down condos (one I really loved/wanted) because of pet restrictions.
I like animals, I just have suspicions as to the true motives of why people my age are so obsessed with them and make life choices around them. But that's another topic.

I think the same thing about people and their cars too,for the record.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I like animals, I just have suspicions as to the true motives of why people my age are so obsessed with them and make life choices around them. But that's another topic.

I think the same thing about people and their cars too,for the record.
Well a car isn't a living, feeling, thing, so that's a very different thing at its core.

But if you think its weird that people make life choices about living creatures that are part of their family, I don't really think you like animals, or at least you don't seem to bond with them.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:53 PM

5,680 posts, read 5,012,024 times
Quote:
Why do people need so many pets? Seriously? I don't get it.

Some of us love them, and see a need to help the many pets who are in need of homes.

That said, Boston isn't easy for renters with pets, particularly dog owners.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well a car isn't a living, feeling, thing, so that's a very different thing at its core.

But if you think its weird that people make life choices about living creatures that are part of their family, I don't really think you like animals, or at least you don't seem to bond with them.
I think this is my main point of concern here.

But this is completely unrelated to the topic, so I'll stop commenting on it. I take the blame for bringing it up at all!

But pets, regardless of what role you think they should play in life, do indeed make finding apartments here hard.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:59 PM

5,680 posts, read 5,012,024 times
Are you really "concerned" or do you just want to find a way to feel superior to pet owners for some reason?

Old 03-15-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Are you really "concerned" or do you just want to find a way to feel superior to pet owners for some reason?
Yes, concerned. I think somenof the people i know have questionable reasons for owning pets, and dont take care of them well. Thanks.

I couldn't care less if you own a pet or not.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:46 PM

11,395 posts, read 15,995,267 times
Quote:
But people think they need 4 cats or whatever and still want to live in a walkable area not far from the T and under $1k for a one bedroom.

Just think they could up their budget if they didn't have so many pets.

We have a corgi and a cat at our house. Not really sure why.
Right, but in the OP's case, he likely got the pets when living in a much lower COL area. I'm amazed at how many of my friends in GA have dogs while working service jobs. The lower cost of living plus more pet-friend apartments and lower vet costs make a big difference, then people move here and yikes.

I got my cat while still living in the Atlanta suburbs with an ex. When we broke up, my ex was going to take the cat back to the shelter where, as an older cat, he'd likely be put down, so I ended up taking him. Vet care was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper in Georgia than it is here, which is why I mentioned to the OP to be prepared for that.

I give up other hobbies in order to keep my cat. *shrug* I won't go to heroics when the time comes, but I can give him the best life I can. For me, that's worthwhile.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
hen we broke up, my ex was going to take the cat back to the shelter where, as an older cat, he'd likely be put down, so I ended up taking him.
God, this infuriates me. So unconscionable.

Good for you for doing the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston