U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 06:28 AM

604 posts, read 385,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbosma View Post
All those towns are nice places to live, but the OP specifically mentioned an urban neighborhood, which none of them are.
The areas of Newton bordering Waltham and Watertown are fairly urbanized, especially around the village centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 06:51 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,213,438 times
OP not participating leaving us to interpret which of his conflicting criteria to prioritize. Saying he'd like to live within city limits except for the schools but in a neighborhood like his very affluent, low density section of Cincinnati doesn't compute. Does he want the urban flavor or the exclusive retreat? Lots of good advice here anyway.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,455 times
I want to thank everyone for their comments. This gives me some good info to go on.

As I expected, since Boston is a bigger city the dynamics between distance from downtown and things like space for the kids and good schools can create a feeling of conflicting demands. You have all done a nice job of depicting the balance between those kinds of tradeoffs.

It seems continuing to look at Brookline or Cambridge will provide that high density urban feel with access to the subway and great to good schools. While looking at areas like Newton or Waltham will provide some more space and great schools and lend me a little longer commute on an express bus or commuter rail line. I think both are good options with pros and cons that the family and I will discuss.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:39 PM

2,771 posts, read 1,575,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Lupo View Post

It seems continuing to look at Brookline or Cambridge will provide that high density urban feel with access to the subway and great to good schools. While looking at areas like Newton or Waltham will provide some more space and great schools and lend me a little longer commute on an express bus or commuter rail line. I think both are good options with pros and cons that the family and I will discuss.
Just a clarification -- Newton has both the T (subway/trolley -- it's above ground in Brookline and Newton), and a commuter rail station.

Waltham's schools don't rank as highly as Newton's.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:21 AM

626 posts, read 445,139 times
While I am confident the OP can find a small 2br in a decent school district to rent there are other things to consider.

Car insurance: expect it to triple

summer day camp: 400/wk per kid unless people know otherwise? maybe BOS itself has something, or Brookline rec?

before care/aftercare: in demand and possibly only available by lottery

weekly early dismissal: most towns have one day a week where they let the kids loose at like 11

Don't underestimate the value of having a YMCA/JCC in the town, they often provide summer day camp and before/after care programs.

All summer plans are made by the end of December and you competitively sign up for things in January. Plan ahead.

The winter is long, you will be indoors with the kids alot. In winter it gets dark at 4, steele yourself. In the summer you will have effectively an hour less evening daytime than you are used to. This (for us) makes a huge difference in your quality time with your kids after work.

If you want to do any of the more family things like science museum, aquarium, childrens museum get there the minute they open and remember that thousands of tourists are right behind you trying to do the same thing. Don't go on a rainy day or you will want to die from the crowds. The libraries all have free passes to museum stuff and if you plan 6mo in advance and hit "refresh" on your browser at midnight you might just get one.

ETA: All of Boston is much much much safer personally and property wise than Cincinnati so you need not worry about safety when looking for an urban situation.

Last edited by SalamanderSmile; 03-29-2017 at 06:33 AM..

Old 03-29-2017, 11:31 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,012,372 times
If I were you, I'd look in Watertown, around Watertown Square. Watertown is sufficiently urban to give you a fair amount of shopping and eating options within easy walking distance. It has more affordable rents than Brookline or Cambridge (from my perspective, Newton is pretty much out ... very few apartments and $$$$)

Watertown Square also has an express bus to the Back Bay that leaves from Newton Corner (on the other side of the Mass Pike). The bus goes to Back Bay (which isn't downtown, but lets you hop on the Orange Line for the last leg).

The public schools in Watertown are, I'm sure, just fine. The obsession in Metro Boston with finding the "right" public school system is - and always has been - insane (in my view). Often, public school choice has little to do with absolute quality; instead, it seems to be a proxy for being with "the right kind of people" (and I'm sure you know what I mean).

In any event, good luck with your move.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:53 PM

604 posts, read 385,102 times
rranger - There are busses out of Watertown Yard to both Copley (502) and Downtown (504).

Old 03-29-2017, 03:38 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,012,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
rranger - There are busses out of Watertown Yard to both Copley (502) and Downtown (504).
That's good to know. I thought there was only the Back Bay bus (maybe because that was the only one of interest to me). Thx.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:25 PM

7,864 posts, read 6,815,901 times
I'm in oak square brighton. Newton just a few blocks away is basically the same exact thing. Parts of newton are not all that pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or