U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 11:20 AM

69 posts, read 69,502 times

Advertisements

If I'm breaking it down, depending on what utilities run up there, I'm hoping I could budget for $700-$800/month + utilities, with roommate (s), worst case scenario.

Last edited by Chadly; 03-30-2017 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 01:16 PM

7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadly View Post
If I'm breaking it down, depending on what utilities run up there, I'm hoping I could budget for $700-$800/month + utilities, with roommate (s), worst case scenario.
Certainly possible. I'd say you're probably looking at about 3 roommates, rather than 1-2. But I currently have 3 roommates in Brighton (Brighton Center-Oak Square area) and altogether spend typically $700-$750 (all utilities included). My girlfriend in Washington Square Brookline is probably around $800 with 3 roommates.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:01 PM

5,680 posts, read 5,010,551 times
Where you should live will really depend on where you work. Some public transportation commuter scenarios are just not feasible in practice, even when the distance on paper doesn't seem like a lot.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:17 PM

68 posts, read 35,888 times
Not to be rude but is living/working in/near Boston worth it if the only way to afford it is with several roommates when you're in your 30's? No wonder so many are disgruntled.

I suggest RI. Cheaper rent, similar politics/tolerance. Drive to Boston on the weekends.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:13 PM

7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowVW View Post
Not to be rude but is living/working in/near Boston worth it if the only way to afford it is with several roommates when you're in your 30's? No wonder so many are disgruntled.

I suggest RI. Cheaper rent, similar politics/tolerance. Drive to Boston on the weekends.
A very fair point. I don't think it is really.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:17 PM

I'm partly considering Boston because I may have connections there, really, that could improve my chances of finding a job. And honestly, while 3 roommates might be a bit much (I'm an introvert), no matter where I live, I'll likely always have to live with either a roommate and/or a significant other. I chose a career field where I felt I could make a difference in people's lives, rather than a high paying field I knew I wouldn't like. Social workers are like teachers - much needed, much abused, and often underpaid. Especially in the South. So whether I pick RI or Boston, I would need at least one roommate, more likely. Although I might would consider living in RI and taking the train to Boston for work as I've heard some people do, if it turns out that would be cheaper overall.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:24 PM

67 posts, read 42,293 times
If you are ok with roommates, maybe look at the rooms/shares section on craigslist and see what areas are coming up in your price range. Jamaica plain (a neighborhood in boston), somerville near union square, maybe brookline near coolidge corner, could all be great places that you could probably afford if you are sharing. I have great memories of roommates in my 30s, don't knock it :-)

Old 03-30-2017, 07:31 PM

An old college roommate who lives in Boston actually mentioned Jamaica Plain to me as well. I'll have to look into that.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:09 AM

486 posts, read 360,497 times
If you have some money saved up you might want to consider buying instead of renting - Hyde Park is reasonably safe and ridiculously affordable by Boston standards, you can find one bedroom condos for around $150k which will end up being under $1000/month for mortgage, condo fees and property taxes. Much better than paying the same amount to live in a rat-infested dump with three roommates.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:16 PM

I definitely would consider buying at some point. However, I'm still working on rebuilding credit due to some circumstances (and, admittedly, mistakes) from my younger, more irresponsible days. More importantly, I want to get a feel of how I like an area before I decide to buy and make it more "permanent". At least if I rent, if I decide it's not a good fit in the long run, I can more easily try somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or