Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 01:07 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times

Advertisements

I'm sure going to be attacked here for this by most or all, but I'm very offended by the "Suck on it!," "Suck it!," "Suck this!" taunts in recent society. Especially on the local radio.

Never heard it until a Bruins player, Shawn Thornton, uttered this garbage to Michael Felger, the controversial but highly successful sports talk jock on the Sports Hub on 98.5 fm. It was in response to the host's doubting those Bruins the whole season before they won the Stanley Cup in 2011. In retrospect, I assumed afterwards that they had a playful relationship during on air interviews during the season, and he was good naturedly ribbing Felger in his moment of deserved glory.

I later heard it often enough from local radio sports talk hosts in response to each other and I believe toward certain callers whenever a dispute occurs. To me, once you say that, it seems, you automatically win the spat, and the other party has no recourse. So just "pull out" that phrase at any time and voila, you win?

Today, I just read that Alex Cora, the Red Sox' World Series winning manager, said "suck on it" to the Yankees when describing the post-season"s turning point after slaughtering the Yankees 16-1 in game 3 at Yankee Stadium. Ok, I guess the Sox or any victor deserves to gloat, but maybe have some class, especially when a manager is supposed to be a leader... and set an example?

Do children need to hear this talk? (Not sure if he uttered it TO the crowd for all to hear or simply in an interview during or after the parade.)

Yes, I realize most, younger and even those in my advanced age demo, do update their slang with the times, just like hairstyles and clothes, and I'm the awkward one for even noticing where our society has gone...so just use this garbage phrase myself -- and I'll be taken seriously as one of the boys, on the airwaves as well as in the office and on the field?

Is this how your holiday guests and family will conduct themselves around each other, or only in close company?

Just accept it, as it's not even considered vulgar by most?

And now I hear that Elizabeth Warren paraphrased Trump in her debate last night, using the "**** hole countries" reference. At least WRKO radio bleeped a fraction of it today. I thought people like her could exhibit more class. Again, it's disappointing, at least to me.

I had a post a few years back on another forum here complaining about supposed offensive language, but most seemed to find no problem with it, in writing or speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 01:16 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

Just accept it, as it's not even considered vulgar by most?

Yes

Old 10-31-2018, 01:17 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
Pretty trashy. That's modern pro sports for ya though. Pathetic.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:01 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Very trashy, in my book. Then again, I can't stand when professional journalists use "screwed up" and "pissed off" and I've even seen that in decent news venues. Very disappointing.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:53 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,710,234 times
Easy with the “ghetto”

Old 10-31-2018, 04:54 PM

2,363 posts, read 1,849,046 times
doesn't bother me. Americans can be so squeamish with their language. across the pond cursing is much more generally accepted particularly in Ireland

Spoiler
ligma

Old 10-31-2018, 05:07 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
doesn't bother me. Americans can be so squeamish with their language. across the pond cursing is much more generally accepted particularly in Ireland

Spoiler
ligma
I find the way some Irish speak to be utterly repugnant. Just because they do it doesn't magically make it totally fine. There are tons of low class people in the world.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:54 PM

3,685 posts, read 7,422,687 times
You're bostonguy1960 and it's in reference to the Yankees. Do you really care or are you just pretending to care to see if you can get a rise out of people?

Old 10-31-2018, 06:19 PM

17,668 posts, read 9,148,339 times
I don't have any problem with Cora saying "suck on it" during his speech before the parade.

Why are you very offended, bostonguy? Do you consider it homophobic?

I'm certain it was just a little bit of harmless trash talking.

Here's the speech for anyone that didn't see it. The volume is a little low. The "suck on it" part is at about 6:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrhzG7A2r2A

Old 10-31-2018, 07:11 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I find the way some Irish speak to be utterly repugnant. Just because they do it doesn't magically make it totally fine. There are tons of low class people in the world.

Yes, most tend to try to exude an air of high moral authority, I find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston