U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 01:03 PM

725 posts, read 2,457,941 times

Advertisements

Hello all... my husband and I are looking at visiting Boston in early May for a long weekend. I was trying to do some research about things to do but I figured I could ask the locals as well. Initially we thought that there was a cherry blossom festival there but all I could find was the Japan Festival (happening end of April). Is this the same thing? It's not a big deal if we miss it but it would be more helpful if I knew what I was searching for.

We are looking at a hotel right by Tufts Medical Center - what is the best way to get there from Logan? Google Maps is giving me two options: Shuttle > Blue Line > Orange Line > Tufts. or something called SL1? to South Station and then walking. Living in Chicago we're perfectly fine with public transportation but I just wanted to see which option was better. We would only be in Boston 3 nights/4 days so I'm looking at the MBTA pass options. And the ones that make the most sense is either the 1 day or 7 day pass. Can these be bought at a station at the Airport? Or if taking a Lyft is more typical - are there ride-sharing restrictions at the airport like there are in other airports (i.e. pick up on departures level only)?

Things to do --- so now I'm open to some suggestions on things to do/see during our visit. We are a gay couple, not into the bar/club scene but open to exploring the gay neighborhoods (South End?), into art/architecture and historical sites/landmarks (photography opportunities). Is Boston Common like Central Park? We'd probably enjoy that and visiting the garden. Any must-try restaurants? Is there anything happening the weekend of May 5th?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Just trying to figure out some highlights for our trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 03:36 PM

7,064 posts, read 10,808,136 times
SL is the Silver Line. You take it from the airport to South Station. Here's the schedule:

MBTA > Schedules & Maps > Bus > SL1 - Logan Airport - South Station via Waterfront

Old 04-07-2017, 01:16 AM

1,924 posts, read 1,067,550 times
Boston doesn't really have a gay neighborhood. There is no Castro District or Greenwich Village in Boston. LGBT people are mixed in many places throughout the area. One place that i'd recommend as an LGBT neighborhood is Provincetown on Cape Cod. The ferry from Boston to Provincetown takes about 90 mins, a little long for a day trip but a good place to visit. I'd recommend going for a night if you have the chance.

For ride-sharing there are special pick up areas that you have to walk to. For terminal A and B it is pretty simple, for terminal C/E you have to take a short walk. That could be a good option from the airport as the distance between the airport and downtown is very short, the Lyft should only be about 16 or 17 bucks (which includes a 4 dollar tax paid to Massport). The silver line is also a good option if you want to save money.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:58 AM

75 posts, read 48,420 times
Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum : Home

Old 04-07-2017, 07:15 AM

2,769 posts, read 1,571,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
Any must-try restaurants?
Try Myers & Chang. Delicious! (Chef was on Top Chef a couple seasons back.)

Old 04-07-2017, 08:32 AM

725 posts, read 2,457,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Try Myers & Chang. Delicious! (Chef was on Top Chef a couple seasons back.)
OOH Yes! We totally remember Karen! Thanks for the reminder!

Old 04-07-2017, 06:26 PM

466 posts, read 344,964 times
Hopefully, you will have nice weather. If you are staying near Tufts, you will be very close to Chinatown, the Back Bay and Beacon Hill. It is an easy walk to places like the Common and the Garden. Boston Common is not like Central Park, it is much smaller. The swan boats are in the Garden. Just across the Common or Garden is Beacon Hill, with its iconic brownstones.
Some places to check out:
Sowa Market in the South End
Arnold Arboretum (Jamaica Plain)- you will miss Lilac Sunday (it's May 12th), but still a great place to walk around
Charles River Esplanade
The Museum of Fine Arts
The Institute of Contemporary Art
Paul Revere House in the North End
Freedom Trail
Bunker Hill Monument in Charlestown
The Boston Athenaeum
Boston Public Library (main branch-Back Bay)
Harvard Square in Cambridge- lots to do and many museums
For restaurants, Toro in the South End is fantastic. If you like Mexican, Casa Romero in the Back Bay is one of my favorites.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:40 AM

149 posts, read 137,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
Hopefully, you will have nice weather. If you are staying near Tufts, you will be very close to Chinatown, the Back Bay and Beacon Hill. It is an easy walk to places like the Common and the Garden. Boston Common is not like Central Park, it is much smaller. The swan boats are in the Garden. Just across the Common or Garden is Beacon Hill, with its iconic brownstones.
Some places to check out:
Sowa Market in the South End
Arnold Arboretum (Jamaica Plain)- you will miss Lilac Sunday (it's May 12th), but still a great place to walk around
Charles River Esplanade
The Museum of Fine Arts
The Institute of Contemporary Art
Paul Revere House in the North End
Freedom Trail
Bunker Hill Monument in Charlestown
The Boston Athenaeum
Boston Public Library (main branch-Back Bay)
Harvard Square in Cambridge- lots to do and many museums
For restaurants, Toro in the South End is fantastic. If you like Mexican, Casa Romero in the Back Bay is one of my favorites.
That's a great list. My paired down version of must dos:

-- The quintessential Boston experience for me is the scene in the North End (the historic part of town) on a Friday or Saturday night. It's touristy -- the restaurants are fine if overrated but its so Boston I think you have to just do it. I would definitely hit up Mike's Pastries, that place lives up to the billing and is a Boston-specific experience.

--I would find some way to interact with the Charles and the Common/Garden. The Duck Tours, again very touristy, are actually quite good at giving you a broad swath of the city and some history in a relatively brief period of time.

--Myers & Chang and Toro are great, relatively budget friendly and reasonably accessible if you're not trying to get in on a weekend. You could pair either with Flour Bakery, Joanne Chang's pastry shop which is out of this world and right up the street.

--Harvard Square is definitely also a Boston-specific scene. If your schedule allows you could pair it with a show. The Comedy Studio on the third floor of the chinese restaurant right in the square has nightly local acts and won't break the bank.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:31 PM

5,861 posts, read 7,082,141 times
Thanks for the above 2 posts of suggestions for a long week-end in Boston. I visited this forum tonight as we purchased tix today for a long weekend in July. Having been to Boston a few times we've done much of what is on the two lists.

The Comedy Studio in Harvard Square sounds like a great night, and visiting Harvard Square is one of the things we've not done.

We've also not visited the South End. The Market seems like a fun thing to do. Maybe a Saturday visit to Sam Adams Brewery in the morning, and then head to the Sowa Market.

OP-as a fellow Boston visitor I'm going to add my suggestion to your list. Take a Water Taxi from Logan to whatever landing is closest to your hotel. Take a Lyft from the landing to your hotel. We took a water taxi on our last visit. We were staying in the North End so it was very convenient to our hotel. We arrived near sunset. It really was a spectacular view of the city from the Harbor. Worth any small additional costs in taking 2 different modes of transport. BTW--raised and lived in the Chicago area most of my life thus Chicago is my favorite city. Boston is #2.

And a big YES to Mike's Pastries.

Last edited by rrah; 04-08-2017 at 06:52 PM..

Old 04-09-2017, 09:31 AM

126 posts, read 66,374 times
Modern Pastry across the street is better :-) Go get a sandwich at Monica's on Salem Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston