U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,005 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am going to be moving to Boston from California at the begging of June for a new job. I don’t know anyone in Boston and I am not familiar with the area, so I am hoping you all can give me some good advice as to where I should live. About myself: I am a 32 year old single guy. I am a social guy and I like to make friends, so I would like to live somewhere where there are people in my age/demographic. I am going to be working in the financial services industry. I am a clean cut guy (no tattoos, no earrings…etc). No offense to anyone, but I am not really into the hippy, artsy scene. I am more of a preppy/yuppie type. I like to play golf, tennis, polo, and swim. I like to go to sporting events, movies, restaurants, bars. I would like to live in a more affluent part of Boston, that has people in my age/demographic. As far as rent is concerned; I can afford up to $ 5,000/per month. So based on the information that I given, where in Boston, would be a good place for me to live? Your help is most appreciated. Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 06:29 PM

7,864 posts, read 6,815,901 times
There is only one option: Go to southie, everyone there is pretty much exactly as you describe yourself.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:41 PM

437 posts, read 450,101 times
Back Bay or seaport

Southie is a big mix. All the early 20 year Olds in my office live there. Five to an apartment.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:22 PM

604 posts, read 385,102 times
Brookline would probably work too.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:57 PM

49 posts, read 41,306 times
Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Seaport, and maybe South End and Southie.

Really depends where you work. With a 5k budget, you can afford to live anywhere you want. I would do a 1br+den at a new building, which should run 3200-4000/month w/parking.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:10 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,326,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
There is only one option: Go to southie, everyone there is pretty much exactly as you describe yourself.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA, orders a fine Cabernet and gets hit with a bottle! Sorry OP couln't help it.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:40 PM

6,324 posts, read 9,033,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRevealed View Post
Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Seaport, and maybe South End and Southie.

Really depends where you work. With a 5k budget, you can afford to live anywhere you want. I would do a 1br+den at a new building, which should run 3200-4000/month w/parking.
I would just add Brookline to this list.

Cambridge could work too, but there is a reason people call it The People's Republic of Cambridge. It might be a little too artsy for the OP.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:18 AM

604 posts, read 385,102 times
I mean. Harvard is in Cambridge. He will probably be able to find a squash partner or two.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:29 AM

7,864 posts, read 6,815,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
Brookline would probably work too.
Not much in the way of nightlife though. I think this guy would find Brookline rather dull.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:16 AM

281 posts, read 149,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNFV-0312 View Post
Hello everyone, I am going to be moving to Boston from California at the begging of June for a new job. I don’t know anyone in Boston and I am not familiar with the area, so I am hoping you all can give me some good advice as to where I should live. About myself: I am a 32 year old single guy. I am a social guy and I like to make friends, so I would like to live somewhere where there are people in my age/demographic. I am going to be working in the financial services industry. I am a clean cut guy (no tattoos, no earrings…etc). No offense to anyone, but I am not really into the hippy, artsy scene. I am more of a preppy/yuppie type. I like to play golf, tennis, polo, and swim. I like to go to sporting events, movies, restaurants, bars. I would like to live in a more affluent part of Boston, that has people in my age/demographic. As far as rent is concerned; I can afford up to $ 5,000/per month. So based on the information that I given, where in Boston, would be a good place for me to live? Your help is most appreciated. Many thanks
Easy answer - stay in Boston proper in the center of the action - Back Bay, Upper South End (above Tremont), or Beacon Hill would be my order of preference. I've lived in all 3 and they are all great places to live at your age, or any age really.

5K will get you great options in each and you could get a decent place for less. Also, if you have a car definitely look for parking included or easy access to a garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or