U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:53 AM

433 posts, read 270,023 times

Advertisements

What dates are you looking at? I find BOS is often rather inexpensive to fly from - lot of competition especially since airlines are trying to prevent JetBlue from building a fortress hub here. Sometimes certain dates have high demand so fares go up. Use a tool like ITA Matrix or Google Flights to look at various dates.

One thing to keep in mind when pricing flights-also factor in the cost of parking/transportation to the airport. Even though flights may be $50 higher from PVD, it may be cheaper in the long run if it costs you a lot to get to Logan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 09:10 AM

7,855 posts, read 6,812,290 times
I've never really found Logan to be that expensive. I'm actually quite pleased with how relatively hassle free Logan is in general (other airports are so so so so much worse).

Old 04-25-2017, 10:44 AM

2,769 posts, read 2,211,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I've never really found Logan to be that expensive. I'm actually quite pleased with how relatively hassle free Logan is in general (other airports are so so so so much worse).
Parking is the worst part about Logan. Everything else is a breeze.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:50 PM

11,316 posts, read 5,846,190 times
I'd be hard pressed to come up with an example where PVD or MHT was cheaper than BOS. That simply does not align with my personal experience with many years as a road warrior. For PVD and MHT, there is typically only one carrier going to the fortress hubs. Atlanta is only possible via Delta. Philly is only possible via American (US Airways). Etc. They might be competitive on the Floriduh leisure routes but those aren't business traveler routes. PVD and MHT are also awful on east/west routes. You're forced to use a hub. At one point, there were nonstops to Vegas, Phoenix, and Denver. Now, you're forced to Logan if you want a nonstop anywhere west and you have to be out of your mind to use Chicago/DTW/MSP as a hub in the winter.

I'm often forced to fly out of Logan even though the regional airports are a lot more convenient because the fares are so much cheaper. If you need to get to Philly from MHT or PVD, it's an expensive American flight. From BOS, the route has competition. Ditto BWI. Ditto ATL. I don't get the parking rant. Sure, if you use Massport, it's very expensive and the garages fill during touron vacation weeks. The Logan Express lots are $7.00/day and the bus service is OK unless you're unlucky and land after midnight. Off airport parking works fine though Pre Flight just went up around the first of the year and is getting kind of expensive.

In the large airport bake-off, Logan is a heck of a lot better than the three NYC airports. It's way better than Philly other than Philly's every 30 minute rail service to 30th Street Station & Suburban Station. Dulles is still a disaster with no subway to DC yet and no firm plans to replace the main C/D midfield terminal.

I still don't understand how the Silver Line is an articulated bus instead of a subway. That's not how first world cities do it. Public transportation access is really my only beef now that TSA Pre exists. There should be no reason why anybody needs to drive within 20 miles of Logan. You should be able to park remotely and take an every 15 minute rail service right to the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or