U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:59 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I take it you've never driven Storrow Drive. People seem to have an inability there to stay in their lanes. When it was part of my regular commute, a day wouldn't go by where I wouldn't be on my horn. It's not usually deliberate, just stupid not paying attention stuff...

Drive that and memorial drive weekly. I used to more often than that. I doubt I use a horn even once a month anywhere, of course, I'm not that aggressive like some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 12:03 PM

6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Same with Alewife Brook Parkway towards Rt. 2 from Cambridge. How hard is it to stay between the lines? Happens all the time.
Quite hard for some apparently. I used to drive that road occasionally as well., and definitely concur!

Old 04-25-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Drive that and memorial drive weekly. I used to more often than that. I doubt I use a horn even once a month anywhere, of course, I'm not that aggressive like some.
I don't do it to be a jerk. My reasoning is, giving that person a "wake up" THEN could save a life (or several) a half mile or two down the road .

Old 04-25-2017, 12:08 PM

Lots of Rte 16 doesn't even seem to have lines, or they're so faded you can't see them.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:15 PM

884 posts, read 709,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Lots of Rte 16 doesn't even seem to have lines, or they're so faded you can't see them.
Sections of Route 16, Storrow, Mem Drive, and many other parkways and bridges are run by the DCR (Dept. of Conservation and Recreation). They have no business running major arterial roads or maintaining bridges, particularly in their chronically underfunded state. Better left to MassDOT, but due to some archaic red tape () laden divisions and jurisdictional consolidations we are stuck with DCR running these roads. I have emails dating back to 2015 trying to get a streetlight repaired over a rotary near my house and nothing has been done.

I always warn visitors to be extra careful of the narrow lanes, and to never bike on the parkways. One thing that is great is that they have built some awesome multi-use paths that run along many of them.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:27 PM

433 posts, read 269,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I take it you've never driven Storrow Drive. People seem to have an inability there to stay in their lanes. When it was part of my regular commute, a day wouldn't go by where I wouldn't be on my horn. It's not usually deliberate, just stupid not paying attention stuff...
Ah. I think I see your problem. These "lanes" you are talking about... you see them as something more than dashed suggested gridlines.

Boston drivers are aggressive, yes. Minor traffic rules, such as the aforementioned lanes, tend to get overlooked very easily. But once you have driven here a few times it actually works, because 1) everyone is focused on driving and not daydreaming 2) everyone goes around said obstacle and 3) you know the driver in the driver beside you is going to try and cut in or go around or blow through the yield sign. They are aggressive, but they are not illogical. That is why I have such a hard time driving in Seattle or pretty much anywhere on the west coast - I have no idea what that person is doing, going to do, or is likely to do.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
1) everyone is focused on driving and not daydreaming 2) everyone goes around said obstacle and 3) you know the driver in the driver beside you is going to try and cut in or go around or blow through the yield sign. They are aggressive, but they are not illogical.
We must have driven in different Bostons then.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:45 PM

467 posts, read 228,392 times
In my experience, there is nothing wrong with Boston drivers. The only thing I would caution is not to try to push them around - you cannot count on their allowing it. IMO, MA drivers are very competent. How else could they tailgate so flagrantly and constantly, yet have so VERY few multi-car pileups like used to (?) be common in CA.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
In my experience, there is nothing wrong with Boston drivers. The only thing I would caution is not to try to push them around - you cannot count on their allowing it. IMO, MA drivers are very competent. How else could they tailgate so flagrantly and constantly, yet have so VERY few multi-car pileups like used to (?) be common in CA.

Well the drivers there are just insane. Add to it lane splitting with motorcycles. I got rid of my car.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:52 PM

884 posts, read 709,760 times
The biggest problem in Greater Boston is simply the age of our infrastructure. Cars have become bigger, bike lanes take up room, parking is on both sides of the street in some areas. All just facts of life that we'll continue to deal with for the foreseeable future.

The parkways were always designed to be scenic routes to take a Sunday drive. But over time they have morphed into full fledged arterial routes. Add tens of thousands of cars a day, lanes designed well before the advent of the Ford Excursion, and poor upkeep and you'll get some near misses once in awhile.

As for the OP, you should be just fine. Just ignore the honking, yelling, "hand signaling" and do your best. Be especially careful of cyclists and pedestrians. The majority are just as concerned with safety as you are, but if you aren't used to seeing scofflaw Lance Armstrongs or crusty fixie riders blow lights you need to keep your senses about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or