U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 01:55 PM

6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
How else could they tailgate so flagrantly and constantly, yet have so VERY few multi-car pileups like used to (?) be common in CA.
Not sure what to say. Some reasons could be:

1. Congested roads limiting speed. MA drivers also tend to drive slower than many other places (S California being one).

2. Highways tend to be curvy, which has proven to increase visibility and safety.

3. The fact that the flow of traffic is irregular (someone doing 80 in the right lane, passing a vehicle in the center lane doing 50), actually limits the domino effect you see causing big pile-ups. Many other cities you see all vehicles in all lanes doing similar speeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 06:50 AM

433 posts, read 269,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Not sure what to say. Some reasons could be:

1. Congested roads limiting speed. MA drivers also tend to drive slower than many other places (S California being one).

2. Highways tend to be curvy, which has proven to increase visibility and safety.

3. The fact that the flow of traffic is irregular (someone doing 80 in the right lane, passing a vehicle in the center lane doing 50), actually limits the domino effect you see causing big pile-ups. Many other cities you see all vehicles in all lanes doing similar speeds.
Ah, platooning! I miss the days of driving into Boston every morning. Well, no, not really, but...

There is an art to it. looking through the windows of the car in front of you and seeing what the car in front of him is doing. It only really works in Boston where you know everyone is going to right on top of everyone else so you are prepared. That is why people in car hate SUVs and trucks so much and feel the desperate need to get around them - you can't see in front of them. And then someone gets into the line who decides to stop three car lengths away from the car in front of them and messes everything up.

As for in the city proper, it is not the other cars that are the problems, it is the large number of pedestrians who dont use crosswalks or wait for traffic and especially the bicyclists that make driving challenging. Those and the Duck tour boats.

Last edited by Cloudship; 04-26-2017 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 04-26-2017, 08:59 AM

8,711 posts, read 8,906,804 times
You haven't really driven until you've gone down the J-way/Riverway, when congested, in heavy rain, in the left lane, at night....in a large vehicle/truck.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:28 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
I hate driving the Jamaica Way.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:12 AM

7,323 posts, read 8,979,795 times
The Jamaica Way is dangerous--much too narrow for two lanes, in both directions. If you have to drive it, it's best to stay on the outside..

Old 04-28-2017, 09:25 AM

1,924 posts, read 1,067,550 times
The Jamaicaway is fun!!

Old 04-28-2017, 09:25 AM

4,065 posts, read 2,052,415 times
Sorry to add one piece of serious advice here, but it might save you a wreck and it will definitely save your ears from simultaneous horn honks, cusswords, and other such auditory welcomes.

When there is no separate left-turn signal, only a green light, in MA you do not wait for oncoming straight-through traffic to move. You leap on that gas pedal and blitz that left turn before the stopped oncoming traffic starts heading toward you.

I grew up in MA and that was the way it was done. The first time I realized my birth state was the oddball with respect to this convention was when I drove south on vacation. Somewhere in VA or NC, I did the normal (for MA) thing of rushing that left turn. Next thing I knew, the cars coming through did their normal thing of going straight on the green light. Big jam-up! And some honking horns even there in the generally-polite south. OUCH. I cringed and learned.

Coming from WA, you must learn not only to make your moves without hesitation, but you will find a few flyers from the norm such as the left turn thing.

Another oddity is that in MA, those circular traffic areas are known as "rotaries", and they differ from western "traffic circles" or "roundabouts" in that INcoming drivers have the right of way! Traffic already in the rotary must yield to incoming traffic. Not the other way around!!! MA has quite a few rotaries, so you will have plenty of practice getting used to this.

Perhaps these conventions have been reversed since I moved out of MA. It had not when I last went there, though. And I can imagine the carnage that would result if laws reversed long-held traditions.

Your sense of humor means you passed the first test toward getting used to driving in MA! Really, Seattle must have felt like a giant wet blanket to someone like you.

Last edited by pikabike; 04-28-2017 at 09:40 AM..

Old 04-28-2017, 09:28 AM

6,117 posts, read 3,055,610 times
Overall I look at Boston area drivers as those who consider themselves in a hurry, have no patience for those not in a hurry, but seem to take the time to practice their craft and can bob and weave with the best of them. Your best path to avoidance is to live in the right lane at whatever speed it is going. If not, get ready to play the Boston driving game. No quarters needed.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:33 AM

761 posts, read 336,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Yes
Jimmy is onto something.. get ready to feel a terror if your'e unfamiliar.

Those who live there are well seasoned and have nothing to compare it to ~ they know the ropes.

Its f-a-s-t paced for sure.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:17 AM

289 posts, read 447,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Drive that and memorial drive weekly. I used to more often than that. I doubt I use a horn even once a month anywhere, of course, I'm not that aggressive like some.
I'm not aggressive at all but have to use my horn regularly when people decide my car and their car can occupy the same space at the same time. Last week Big Macho Man Ten Ton Pickup pulled out of a side street into my lane and to get out of the way I almost ended up in the ninth hole of McGolf in Dedham.

Another recent guy who did that (on the VFW Parkway) was sufficiently upset I wanted to live and therefore honked that he pulled in front of me, got out of the car and walked back to yell at me. Thankfully no gun no baseball bat. Haven't driven in New York, but I think road rage is increasing at the same time that needing the horn for self-defense and safety is increasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or