U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 11:25 AM

32,762 posts, read 22,707,241 times

Advertisements

I wonder why you all have to use your horn regularly when at most I feel like I even touch mine 2-3 times a month, and that's almost always when someone is asleep at a green light when they're on their phone. It's curious. I'm driving a couple of hours a day, every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 12:18 PM

524 posts, read 145,247 times
Throw dead rats at them and have fun with your rat race.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:04 PM

433 posts, read 270,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

Another oddity is that in MA, those circular traffic areas are known as "rotaries", and they differ from western "traffic circles" or "roundabouts" in that INcoming drivers have the right of way! Traffic already in the rotary must yield to incoming traffic. Not the other way around!!! MA has quite a few rotaries, so you will have plenty of practice getting used to this.
I know you were joking, but I just want to make sure everyone realizes that the law is traffic in the rotary has the right of way. Wanted to point this out because some places in the past this wasn't true.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:17 PM

4,083 posts, read 2,064,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
I know you were joking, but I just want to make sure everyone realizes that the law is traffic in the rotary has the right of way. Wanted to point this out because some places in the past this wasn't true.
I was not joking about the above. When I lived in the Boston area, cars entering the rotary had the right of way, if not legally, in actual practice. I think it is dangerous, but I am serious when I say that's how it worked...back then, anyway.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:43 PM

433 posts, read 270,383 times
Quote:
I was not joking about the above. When I lived in the Boston area, cars entering the rotary had the right of way, if not legally, in actual practice. I think it is dangerous, but I am serious when I say that's how it worked...back then, anyway.

Where was that? I know that traffic in the rotary has been the rule since I was a kid back in the 70s.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:02 PM

7,007 posts, read 6,711,305 times
Quote:

When there is no separate left-turn signal, only a green light, in MA you do not wait for oncoming straight-through traffic to move. You leap on that gas pedal and blitz that left turn before the stopped oncoming traffic starts heading toward you.

I grew up in MA and that was the way it was done. The first time I realized my birth state was the oddball with respect to this convention was when I drove south on vacation. Somewhere in VA or NC, I did the normal (for MA) thing of rushing that left turn. Next thing I knew, the cars coming through did their normal thing of going straight on the green light. Big jam-up! And some honking horns even there in the generally-polite south. OUCH. I cringed and learned.
Same thing happened to me in NC! Except after I banged a "MA left", I suddenly see blue lights come on behind me. Officer was cool though, think he realized I just needed a heads up on the local rules.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Same thing happened to me in NC! Except after I banged a "MA left", I suddenly see blue lights come on behind me. Officer was cool though, think he realized I just needed a heads up on the local rules.
I was horrified and embarrassed, because I was not an aggressive driver, only did it to the extent required to survive driving in the Boston area. There I sat, thinking the southern drivers had expected me to bang that left hard, LOL.

My license plates gave it away, of course. They probably gained a sour view of MA drivers from differences such as that.

OP, I took the T a lot. It wasn't just to avoid driving, it was to avoid the parking space hunt, the extra cost, and I liked the flexibility of being able to combine walking with public transport.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:05 AM

32,762 posts, read 22,707,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
Where was that? I know that traffic in the rotary has been the rule since I was a kid back in the 70s.

Yup, grew up in the 70s and 80s, learned to drive in the 80s, and people in the rotary have always had the right of way. In law, and in practice.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yup, grew up in the 70s and 80s, learned to drive in the 80s, and people in the rotary have always had the right of way. In law, and in practice.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s, and that is what I saw. Not saying I agree with the practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or