U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 12:45 PM

404 posts, read 705,351 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 24 year old single guy looking to move into the city. I currently live in Scituate, MA with my parents. I just started a new job in Canton right off of 95(exit 13 university ave) and my parents are selling the house to downsize, so I figure now is the time to make a move. I've lived in the South Shore for most of my life, so I am pretty familiar with Boston and it's neighborhoods, but I've never actually lived there.

Some things I like:
Beer bars
Live music
Local restaurants
Local arts scene
Urban feel
Access to the T (<20 min walk)
People my age

I have a car and motorcycle, so I will need a place to park them.

I currently have a 45 min commute and would like to reduce that, but it's not a priority.

My favorite areas are Harvard Sq and Davis sq, but I'm not sure I can even afford to live near there. Plus they don't exactly help with the commute.

Next on my list would probably be Allston...seems like the go to place for young adults.

I've looked into JP, but it seems kind of removed from the city and less urban than other areas.

My budget is around $1250 (obviously the lower the better) and I realize that means I will need roommates even though I would prefer to live alone.

So city-data, I would love to hear your advice and suggestions. If you need any additional info from me, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 12:56 PM

32,834 posts, read 22,780,939 times
Providence, cheaper, less traffic (and under 45 to Canton), good arts/music/young/restaurants/bars/breweries, and you could live alone easily for less than that.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:37 PM

404 posts, read 705,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Providence, cheaper, less traffic (and under 45 to Canton), good arts/music/young/restaurants/bars/breweries, and you could live alone easily for less than that.
It's funny, a bunch of my coworkers live in Providence, but for some reason I've never really considered it. Probably because I've never spent any time there. Looks like a trip south is in my future. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 782 times
Timely that I found this thread. I happen to be subletting my place in Allston (starting June). With a budget of $1250 you'll definitely need a roommate (this is Boston after all). Hit me up if you're interested. The room rent's $1150 a month for a pretty large space in the city, the other room goes for $1050, but I'm willing to negotiate since it's summertime.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:39 PM

125 posts, read 97,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
Hi, I'm a 24 year old single guy looking to move into the city. I currently live in Scituate, MA with my parents. I just started a new job in Canton right off of 95(exit 13 university ave) and my parents are selling the house to downsize, so I figure now is the time to make a move. I've lived in the South Shore for most of my life, so I am pretty familiar with Boston and it's neighborhoods, but I've never actually lived there.

Some things I like:
Beer bars
Live music
Local restaurants
Local arts scene
Urban feel
Access to the T (<20 min walk)
People my age

I have a car and motorcycle, so I will need a place to park them.

I currently have a 45 min commute and would like to reduce that, but it's not a priority.

My favorite areas are Harvard Sq and Davis sq, but I'm not sure I can even afford to live near there. Plus they don't exactly help with the commute.

Next on my list would probably be Allston...seems like the go to place for young adults.

I've looked into JP, but it seems kind of removed from the city and less urban than other areas.

My budget is around $1250 (obviously the lower the better) and I realize that means I will need roommates even though I would prefer to live alone.

So city-data, I would love to hear your advice and suggestions. If you need any additional info from me, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!
My wife commuted from beacon hill to Canton for work everyday. It would generally take her around 30
minutes in the morning (leaving early) and an hour getting back into the city at night. Her Boston-based coworkers live in Brighton or Southie and seem to have an easier commute. You should definitely look at Jamaica Plain or possibly Roslindale - the back roads to Canton are relatively easy/quick (93 is a nightmare as you probably know). JP offers a lot of what you're looking for and with a roommate it is in your budget. Milton is a good alternative, you can get to work easily during the week and be close to Boston on weekends. No need to drive all the way to Providence - in no way is that an easy commute. My wife made the Boston to Canton commute for years when we were younger and wanted the city lifestyle - PM if you want any other advise. Good luck!

Old 05-03-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janbos View Post
Timely that I found this thread. I happen to be subletting my place in Allston (starting June). With a budget of $1250 you'll definitely need a roommate (this is Boston after all). Hit me up if you're interested. The room rent's $1150 a month for a pretty large space in the city, the other room goes for $1050, but I'm willing to negotiate since it's summertime.

I had a $1200 (plus utilities) one bedroom/shared deck, etc in Somerville I just left, and I know people that had better deals than I did (some found recently). But, it takes lots of luck and work.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:14 PM

1,126 posts, read 446,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
My wife commuted from beacon hill to Canton for work everyday. It would generally take her around 30
minutes in the morning (leaving early) and an hour getting back into the city at night. Her Boston-based coworkers live in Brighton or Southie and seem to have an easier commute. You should definitely look at Jamaica Plain or possibly Roslindale - the back roads to Canton are relatively easy/quick (93 is a nightmare as you probably know). JP offers a lot of what you're looking for and with a roommate it is in your budget. Milton is a good alternative, you can get to work easily during the week and be close to Boston on weekends. No need to drive all the way to Providence - in no way is that an easy commute. My wife made the Boston to Canton commute for years when we were younger and wanted the city lifestyle - PM if you want any other advise. Good luck!
Check Hyde park for a cheaper rent and a fairly easy commute to Canton. I have sometimes seen Rt. 138 backed up for miles during peak travel so I would also be aware of this.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:29 PM

1,947 posts, read 1,083,132 times
The OP considers JP to be too sleepy and you guys are suggesting Hyde Park?

You could look at Southie or the Savin Hill part of Dorchester. That commute would suck though.

Last edited by tysmith95; 05-03-2017 at 03:02 PM..

Old 05-03-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
The OP considers JP to be too sleepy and you guys are suggesting Hyde Park?

haha

Old 05-03-2017, 03:57 PM

1,126 posts, read 446,042 times
Oops. Didnt see that part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston