U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 01:55 PM

44,564 posts, read 43,103,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
I attended a over 75% minority Boston area public school some decades ago now.
One 12yo 7th grader, quiet, introverted, white, blonde hair girl had to be transferred to another school because notes were being passed around she was going to be killed.
White students had to take the pubic buses to school and home because they would be attacked , ;ganged up on' in the school buses. Girls assaulted, physically,and sexually.
7th and 8th grade White girls had minority adult 'boyfriends' ---Pedophiles, but no adult dared say anything.
I could go on and on and on, but you get the point.
I'm sorry that such a thing happened to that girl. That said, I wonder if you are mentioning that story because it happened, or as a way of making excuses for the racism that exists in Boston. I can give you a treasure trove of things that happened to me being Black in a 90% White school district. My point would be that this kind of pathological behavior isn't limited to one race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 02:18 PM

457 posts, read 279,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm sorry that such a thing happened to that girl. That said, I wonder if you are mentioning that story because it happened, or as a way of making excuses for the racism that exists in Boston. I can give you a treasure trove of things that happened to me being Black in a 90% White school district. My point would be that this kind of pathological behavior isn't limited to one race.

If there is so much racism in Boston, why has the minority population gone from 20%? to 60-70%? over the past 4 decades in Boston?
Logically, should not racism in a community result in a decrease in said population?

Old 05-07-2017, 02:25 PM

I don't really ask why Boston got so famous for its racism. History is a factor, the 1974 busing crisis. My question is this. Why Boston in particular? Yes, other cities had their problems. But Boston is famous for another level of histrionics, similar to what Birmingham was like in the 1960s. I have to wonder what it is about Boston compared to other places. That is something that seems to have no answer.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:26 PM

32,716 posts, read 22,666,022 times
Quote:
If there is so much racism in Boston, why has the minority population gone from 20%? to 60-70%? over the past 4 decades in Boston?
Logically, should not racism in a community result in a decrease in said population?

Of course not. There is no logic in believe that racism decreases with the populations of minorities. None.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:32 PM

re

If A wants to increase in B's area. But B has a variable that restricts A. A will decrease in B's area, not increase.

Variable = suppose racism.

The minority population in Massachusetts has Increased in the communities that are the least racist. Same physical law of electricity flow applies. Boston,Brockton,Lawrence,etc., are the least racist communities in Massachusetts

Old 05-07-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Alot of that increase in the minority population comes from a variety of factors. Immigration is a major factor. Immigrants have often gone places many American Blacks rarely go to. Forsyth County,GA got alot of attention in the 1980s for being very racist. The minority population has increase alot. However, most of that increase comes from Asians and Hispanics. Very few Blacks are moving there.

There is also a pecking order when it comes to minorities, at least in my experiences. I've noticed in my personal experiences that Asians seem to get a better reception than Hispanics, and Hispanics(in particular the non-Black Hispanics) seem to be preferred over Blacks. This is just what I've seen in my personal life. Please don't take this in absolutes.

Something about Boston. Many Blacks in Boston are of foreign background(Cape Verdean, Jamaican, etc). And something more. Boston's Black population hasn't increased much since the 1990s. The Hispanic and Asian populations, however, have increased.

Another factor. Boston's population stands at 667,137 people. Boston's Black population increased in percentage between 1950 and 1990. However, the total population of Boston decreased from 801,444 in 1950 to 562,994 in 1980. Boston lost about 240,000 people in 30 years. What this really means is this. Boston might have gained some minorities, but lost alot of Whites. And Boston still has alot of segregated areas. This likely means many people don't go to certain areas, sticking to their own neighborhoods.

How can racism still exist with a minority population increasing? Simple. Some people still keep a certain mentality within them. Some vote with their feet and leave. Some take it out on others. And this can be anyone of any race doing this.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:38 PM

6,977 posts, read 6,696,703 times
Quote:
re

If A wants to increase in B's area. But B has a variable that restricts A. A will decrease in B's area, not increase.

Variable = suppose racism.

The minority population in Massachusetts has Increased in the communities that are the least racist. Same physical law of electricity flow applies. Boston,Brockton,Lawrence,etc., are the least racist communities in Massachusetts
What???

Old 05-07-2017, 02:41 PM

6,977 posts, read 6,696,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't really ask why Boston got so famous for its racism. History is a factor, the 1974 busing crisis. My question is this. Why Boston in particular?

I think you answered your question.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:44 PM

Wellesley,Weston,Lincoln,Concord,Waylaid Predominately White
Boston, Predominately Minority.

WHO looks at the above and concludes BOSTON is the racist community.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Of course not. There is no logic in believe that racism decreases with the populations of minorities. None.
I have personal proof to back this up. My family and me moved to a county that was around 95% White. This was in the mid/late 1990s. By the early 2000s, the Black population increased from about 3% to about 10%. I experienced alot of racism there. There are still people living there who fly Confederate flags from their yards. Why did the minority population increase there? Cost of living and geographic proximity. Alot of Blacks were coming from nearby counties with higher minority populations. It was also one of the fastest growing areas in the USA, being near Atlanta. I live on the western flank of metro Atlanta. Alot of Blacks were coming from the southern and western parts of metro Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or