U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 03:41 PM

3,992 posts, read 1,956,138 times

Advertisements

^ i said it was unrelated.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 05-08-2017 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: sorry everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 03:42 PM

44,679 posts, read 43,226,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
^ i said it was unrelated.
Well, I talk about what I did to see if I could get a better understanding of Boston.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:00 AM

914 posts, read 414,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
I mean, the city of perceived to me a very racist city. Is it overblown or sensationalist?
I see Boston as a society of individuals. I have met people from Boston who are not racist at all. My roommate in graduate school was Italian from Brockton. He was easy-going and became a fraternity president. I used to think fraternities were rampantly racist, but he destroyed that stereotype for me.
I also had an Irish Catholic friend from Boston who taught in a rural HS in the southwest after he graduated from college. He was not racist at all.

With that said, there have been incidents over the years that give it that "reputation" in the media. Some of it is subtle. Some of it is blatant. In the early 1950s there was a pattern of white supremacy and resentment in boxing against the black heavyweight fighters of the time. Rocky Marciano was the "great white hope" who was racist and came from a segregated neighborhood. I read the book written by his relatives, and it revealed blatant racism with a view on white supremacy in the boxing ring. Realistically, he retired very young and did not compete into his 40s like other fighters. So his professional record was undefeated with that caveat. He did lose fights in his amateur record. When Ali was undefeated in the late 1960s, a computer simulation was made to showcase a fight with Ali against Marciano. The film showed a computerized victory of Marciano in his prime against Ali in his youth. The film was very racist and meant for a white audience who rooted for the "Great White Hope". Ironically, recent DNA studies reveal that many Italians are part African and Asian - usually about 3%. The Roman Empire stretched into Asia and Africa at its height - hence there was intermixing and Italians often have African or Asian ancestry (on a small level).

Another pattern of racism can be found in the busing for desegregation back in the early 1970s. Many racist teens would taunt the buses and throw rocks at them openly. It was a bigoted time. In the 1980s the "rivalry" between the Boston Celtics and the LA Lakers was rooted in racism. The white supremacists wanted to promote white superiority in basketball and would promote Larry Bird as a symbol in the games against a black team. Ironically, Larry Bird himself in modern times does not promote that type of racism.

There is resentment against affirmative action at Harvard and MIT. The admitted minorities are usually stigmatized as not deserving to be there compared to white and Asian students. The stigma is very strong. There are often news articles about black students who got into more than one Ivy League school, but if you read the uncensored comments there is a stigma. So subtle racism exists at Harvard and MIT with extreme resentment against affirmative action. The underlying theme is "you don't really deserve to be here".

But modern Boston is full of individuals, and I think it's best to not generalize the whole city based on some individual racists.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:14 AM

470 posts, read 285,480 times
There is an estimated 1 million Black Slaves owned by Black Slave Owners in African countries Today, 2017. Has been going on centuries.

Where is the criticism? Let me guess, it is Boston racism for pointing this out:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1494328133

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1494328267

"Slavery in Africa has existed throughout the continent for many centuries, and still continues in the current day in some countries." -Wikipedia
Attached Thumbnails
Why is Boston so famous for its racism?!-capture_2017_05_09_07_02_12_4.png  

Old 05-09-2017, 06:23 AM

3,500 posts, read 4,374,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
There is an estimated 1 million Black Slaves owned by Black Slave Owners in African countries Today, 2017. Has been going on centuries.

Where is the criticism? Let me guess, it is Boston racism for pointing this out:

"Slavery in Africa has existed throughout the continent for many centuries, and still continues in the current day in some countries." -Wikipedia
Isn't that a false dichotomy? I've certainly seen plenty decrying modern day slavery in Africa as well as other parts of the world (including the US). Saying we shouldn't let people call out racist behavior because there's slavery is a bit like saying we shouldnt worry about someone beating his wife because someone else murdered his family.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:46 AM

5,292 posts, read 5,290,964 times
Ok! What was your purpose from mentioning Black Slaves owning other Black Slave Owners?! Yes, it's a historical and current human travesty, but why bring it to this post when it has nothing to do what we're discussing?

Quote:
Where is the criticism?
*Sighs* Come on man?!! We ALL can be very critical of any human practice that is devaluing and degrading human life in any nation. I'm pointing out why the city has been labelled in this fashion. Deflecting the issue about Black slavery in contemporary Africa doesn't dismiss my point and the perspective of other contributors on this thread.

This is not about finger-pointing, it's about sharing information, perspectives and understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post

Old 05-09-2017, 08:59 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,964,266 times
Though I do not agree with the racist backlash of the busing crisis, I would be beyond angry if my kids had to be bused to a neighborhood miles away that they had no connection to.

New Englanders have loyalties to their towns or in the case of Boston, their neighborhoods. Ask someone where they are from and they will most likely give you the specific town name that has been around for 100s of years. The same can be said for the Irish in south Boston. I don't blame them one bit for getting the f out of Boston.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:49 AM

44,679 posts, read 43,226,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Though I do not agree with the racist backlash of the busing crisis, I would be beyond angry if my kids had to be bused to a neighborhood miles away that they had no connection to.

New Englanders have loyalties to their towns or in the case of Boston, their neighborhoods. Ask someone where they are from and they will most likely give you the specific town name that has been around for 100s of years. The same can be said for the Irish in south Boston. I don't blame them one bit for getting the f out of Boston.
I still can't excuse the reaction. Other cities had busing, and its issues. Other parts of New England did, but it still bothers me that such a reaction took place in Boston. Boston has a bad reputation for that reason. In my opinion, that reputation was building itself for years before the busing crisis. In my opinion, I think the violent reaction merely exposed what was always there.

Here is a question. Among New Englanders, how much town/neighborhood loyalty would exist depending on race/ethnic group?

Old 05-09-2017, 12:03 PM

4,125 posts, read 2,085,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I still can't excuse the reaction. Other cities had busing, and its issues. Other parts of New England did, but it still bothers me that such a reaction took place in Boston. Boston has a bad reputation for that reason. In my opinion, that reputation was building itself for years before the busing crisis. In my opinion, I think the violent reaction merely exposed what was always there.

Here is a question. Among New Englanders, how much town/neighborhood loyalty would exist depending on race/ethnic group?
Exactly. My father immigrated to the US decades before the bussing riots. I remember him telling us that he had seen instances in which a black person boarding a Boston public transit bus was told to go to the back.

Bussing merely triggered an escalation from resentment and nonphysical harrassment to outright physical attacks. Those attacks would not have happened out of the blue. There would have had to be a long-brewing undercurrent already present before it erupted.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:05 PM

3,586 posts, read 1,840,736 times
If you have a chance, read Michael Patrick MacDonald's All Soul's. It will give you a very good perspective of the racism in Boston during the busing crisis.

IMHO, Bostonians as a whole are not racist but there is a pervasive undercurrent of racism that still exists in the city. It will take 2 or 3 generations for that to go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or