U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 10:25 AM

32,778 posts, read 22,716,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Another example is the Black Lives Matter movement. More focus on only black Americans. Instead, it should always be ALL Live Matter. .

Wow, you know how to take it to a next level. I'll give you consistency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 12:15 PM

6,098 posts, read 2,505,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Boston and Milwaukee (I like both cities) are similar in their very high levels of segregation too.
I knew there was a reason I loved Boston, but the segregation is monetary. You have to be filthy rich to live in Boston proper. but it was very nice never the less.

I would say Boston is probably the pinnacle of human achievement, they have MIT and a huge tech sector, but 100k a year would be near poverty wages in boston proper, living way out on the purple rail defeats the purpose of even living in Boston.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:36 PM

422 posts, read 175,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Bill Russel was harassed an harangued and called it a flea market of racism. Larry Bird get a stature in front of the garden and Bill Russel is literally on the least traversed side of city hall, like he didnt bring 11 championships here. If he were embraced he would be a fixture in this citys civic life. Instead he rarely ever visits.

Robert Parish and Andre Tippet? Are you serious?? Hahahhaa white Bostonians delusional about this city at times.

You also did not dress anything i said about Scal which was super relevant (unlike Tippet).
As one who made that area my home for a while I feel safe about my thoughts of Boston and their racial issues.Unfortunately for you ,you would rather enhance a problem that is nowhere near as bad as you pretend that it is.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:44 PM

821 posts, read 490,492 times
With the present level of racial and ethnic diversity in Boston, I would imagine that racism against blacks and other non-whites is most prominent in the few remaining neighborhoods with high concentrations of ethnic whites. I would imagine that racism against non-whites is much more pervasive in outlying towns such as Acton, Franklin and Marshfield to name a few.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:52 PM

422 posts, read 175,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
With the present level of racial and ethnic diversity in Boston, I would imagine that racism against blacks and other non-whites is most prominent in the few remaining neighborhoods with high concentrations of ethnic whites. I would imagine that racism against non-whites is much more pervasive in outlying towns such as Acton, Franklin and Marshfield to name a few.

LOL, Franklin? Please explain?

Old 05-31-2017, 09:33 PM

3,281 posts, read 4,424,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. It's the rest of you ignoring the entire history of mankind. Stop thinking that blacks are the only victims of slavery. All of you only focus on the history of the last 500 years.

Another example is the Black Lives Matter movement. More focus on only black Americans. Instead, it should always be ALL Live Matter. Stop wallowing in black victimhood and instead take responsibility for your current situation. No one cares about the past, only you (blacks) do. Just move forward and be as great as you can be and stop expecting apologies handouts/reparations from the rest of us.

And you wouldn't need affirmative action if you'd only stand on your own feet and the black parents be better parents to their children. I did well in school because my parents instilled in me the value of a good education. It's not the school system or teachers' job to instill that belief in their students. And having a solid education should not be expected to guarantee a good career... it's about making a whole thinking human being. And it is also on the parents to instill in their children a good work ethic and moral character. No one wants to hire an employee with a poor work ethic and bad attitude.

Another important lesson that my mother taught me was the importance of speaking proper English. Slang is for between friends and maybe family. However, knowing how to speak proper English (no ebonics) is another way to great job or good career. No one wants to hear "ask" pronounced as "axe", etc... But that is also on parents to teach their children how to speak properly and also good etiquette for work/business situations. Remember the storyline of the musical My Fair Lady and of the character Eliza Doolittle.
miu, your true colors showed in this post. "Stop thinking that blacks are the only victims of slavery. All of you only focus on the history of the last 500 years." You just casually used a broad brush to judge (ignorantly) an entire people group. The discussion was not about slavery, it was about the racial issues in Boston. Period. Believe me, I am quite aware of slavery throughout human history but this is what people like you do when this issue comes up. You introduce something else to deflect from the issue at hand. Such a Trumpian move.

If only you were wise enough to stop there, but nope, YOU mentioned the BLM movement (why??) and accused me of, "wallowing in black victimhood" and said I should instead take responsibility for your current situation. You proceeded to rant about black parents, Affirmative Action and speaking proper english and not Ebonics. Yep, your true colors are definitely showing. I was hoping to engage in intelligent discussion on this issue but I see you are incapable (or unwilling)to provide that.
Good day.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:13 AM

340 posts, read 168,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I saw a "meet Bran Scalabrine!!!" ad in the metro...A white bum who never contributed anything and last played for us ten years ago. I also see lots of Olynyk gear calling him the new king. When he is probably only the 3rd or 4th best player on the team.

Boston does not embrace black athletes in nearly the same fashion as they do white athletes, if you think so your probably only thinking of Big Papi.
Let's not be selective in our memory here. I don't know of any recent Celtic player who's gotten a bigger ovation than Paul Pierce or Kevin Garnett. Isaiah Thomas is a pretty popular guy these days too.

Malcom Butler probably never has to buy another drink in this town

James White, Dont'a Hightower, Devin McCourty are athletes that are embraced and are loved for their contributions both on and off the field.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:47 AM

2,545 posts, read 4,859,335 times
Not to pile on here, but I was a closet Knicks fan in the late 80's/early 90's largely due to local hero Patrick Ewing. Spend my life savings in his first Adidas sneakers sophomore year of HS.

To elude to the fact that white Bostonians only support white athletes is silly.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:04 AM

821 posts, read 490,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sunday View Post
LOL, Franklin? Please explain?
I take it you haven't spent much time in the outlying suburban areas of Boston.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:25 AM

1,097 posts, read 437,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Not to pile on here, but I was a closet Knicks fan in the late 80's/early 90's largely due to local hero Patrick Ewing. Spend my life savings in his first Adidas sneakers sophomore year of HS.

To elude to the fact that white Bostonians only support white athletes is silly.
Silly, Insulting, and completely false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or