U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 10:38 AM

1,106 posts, read 852,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I'm not sure how anyone could think boston is becoming a black/hispanic city quickly...are you serious?? Boston is gentrifying quickly and these are the folks getting pushed out. Boston is filled with techies, engineers and medical professionals and the majority of them are white and yes they are living in boston
Were just talking facts and data...it may seem that way from what you're saying, but data has shown that Boston's non hispanic white population has been shrinking as a share of population since the 1940s and that continues to this day. I outlined the reasons for this above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 02:44 PM

126 posts, read 66,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
While the Bird and McHale era may have given that false impression, that's more associated with the Red Sox
the Celtics were never racist. First black player and first black head coach AND the first team with an all black starting line up. People make me laugh when they say the Celtics where racist because they happen to have more whites than usual during the Bird Era, was it his fault he was white? and McHale's and Ainge's? The team was outstanding and won championships and was put together with that as the goal, hanging banners, not how many whites were on the team. Sorry, sore subject with me.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:47 PM

7,852 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider21 View Post
the Celtics were never racist. First black player and first black head coach AND the first team with an all black starting line up. People make me laugh when they say the Celtics where racist because they happen to have more whites than usual during the Bird Era, was it his fault he was white? and McHale's and Ainge's? The team was outstanding and won championships and was put together with that as the goal, hanging banners, not how many whites were on the team. Sorry, sore subject with me.
It's not ok to be white and good at basketball.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:51 PM

72,634 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
I mean, the city of perceived to me a very racist city. Is it overblown or sensationalist?
The Irish. Huge history there with the Irish. As victims of "racism", when they arrived as indentured servants, to when they managed to claw their way into a semblance of the middle class, through unions that they manage to control for awhile, and beyond.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:29 PM

216 posts, read 90,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life4orce View Post
Not a movie, but Hawk in Spenser for Hire had to be one of the coolest characters at the time.
Unfortunately, I've never watched the show. I was pretty young when the show was still on the air. I remember hearing years later when I was a teenager that it was set and filmed in Boston, though. One thing I find interesting is that when the Hawk character got his own spinoff, they moved the location to Washington, D.C. rather than staying in Boston.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:39 PM

216 posts, read 90,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life4orce View Post
Yes, go to the southern parts of the country where there's NEVER been any recorded instances of racism or violence and killings due to racism. Should move to Garfield Park area of Chicago or anything before 6 Mile Road in Detroit. No racial tension there, and you should be safe.
This sort of reminds me of when I was in Richmond, Virginia years ago. I still lived in Boston at the time and was just passing through. I was there with my brother who is half black like I am and my black mother. We were conversing with a black bus driver and when we mentioned we were from Boston, he sort of went on about how he had visited Boston and how racist it was and stuff like that. I sort of found it funny because we were there in the capital of the Confederacy, a former slave state, a Jim Crow state, the whole nine yards, but Boston was so racist to him. To be fair, I guess things change and that was his personal experience or perception.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:02 AM

373 posts, read 485,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rose View Post
Unfortunately, I've never watched the show. I was pretty young when the show was still on the air. I remember hearing years later when I was a teenager that it was set and filmed in Boston, though. One thing I find interesting is that when the Hawk character got his own spinoff, they moved the location to Washington, D.C. rather than staying in Boston.
I think that the move was due to costs. Several other programs were filmed in Boston. However, they all dried up. At one point it seemed that many productions were not happening, but talk had occurred. Several movies were "set in Boston," but filmed, elsewhere. Thus, a push was made to attract this business. A response was developed.

Bill

Old 09-20-2017, 11:01 AM

114 posts, read 64,669 times
^^^
I worked on the David Mamet movie "Heist" that was set in Boston but shot here in Montreal. A few locations in Old Montreal had the kld Boston feel to them but the "hoods were not that close in typology arvhitecturally speaking...

Old 10-31-2017, 01:13 PM

1,323 posts, read 675,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The Irish. Huge history there with the Irish. As victims of "racism", when they arrived as indentured servants, to when they managed to claw their way into a semblance of the middle class, through unions that they manage to control for awhile, and beyond.
WTF? so I'm now racist cause I'm Irish?

Old 10-31-2017, 07:47 PM

3,961 posts, read 1,936,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
WTF? so I'm now racist cause I'm Irish?
i thought she was saying that the irish were originally marginalized by society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or