U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-01-2017, 12:28 PM
 
1,325 posts, read 679,610 times
Reputation: 1084

Advertisements

I'm not interpreting, I'm just reading, its word for word. You must be doing the interpreting.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2017, 12:37 PM
 
32,778 posts, read 22,726,695 times
Reputation: 29800
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
No that's literally what she said. "The Irish."


Not in response to who is responsible for racism. Goodness grief. You want to be offended or something? You're reading something not there. I'm Irish as well, she didn't blame the Irish for the reason Boston is famous for its racism because the Irish were racist.

If anything ,she was saying the oppression of the Irish as second class citizens when they emigrated is in part responsible for the perception of Boston being a racist city over time.


Let it go, you're just wrong. She never said, nor implied, that Boston is racist or famous for its racism because the Irish are racist. Never. Ever.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2017, 12:45 PM
 
1,325 posts, read 679,610 times
Reputation: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not in response to who is responsible for racism. Goodness grief. You want to be offended or something? You're reading something not there. I'm Irish as well, she didn't blame the Irish for the reason Boston is famous for its racism because the Irish were racist.

If anything ,she was saying the oppression of the Irish as second class citizens when they emigrated is in part responsible for the perception of Boston being a racist city over time.


Let it go, you're just wrong. She never said, nor implied, that Boston is racist or famous for its racism because the Irish are racist. Never. Ever.
Fine agree to disagree, I'm just reading what was written.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2017, 12:46 PM
 
32,778 posts, read 22,726,695 times
Reputation: 29800
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Fine agree to disagree, I'm just reading what was written.

No, you aren't. At all. I mean, she did say "The Irish", but she in no way blamed them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2017, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
7,900 posts, read 6,832,090 times
Reputation: 6635
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No, you aren't. At all. I mean, she did say "The Irish", but she in no way blamed them.
Yep, she was saying that the history of people's perception of Boston as a racist city goes way further back than the 60s or 70s, probably to the 1860s and 1870s with the treatment of the Irish. This does not actually accuse the Irish of being racist, but the opposite; they were probably the first group in the city to have been the victims of racism.

To be fair, I think the post in question could have been clearer.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2017, 01:18 PM
 
32,778 posts, read 22,726,695 times
Reputation: 29800
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Yep, she was saying that the history of people's perception of Boston as a racist city goes way further back than the 60s or 70s, probably to the 1860s and 1870s with the treatment of the Irish. This does not actually accuse the Irish of being racist, but the opposite; they were probably the first group in the city to have been the victims of racism.

To be fair, I think the post in question could have been clearer.


Absolutely, but to read her response and interpret it as Irish are to blame for the racism and then jump to, you're saying I'm racist because I'm Irish? Is beyond ridiculous.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2017, 01:40 PM
 
1,325 posts, read 679,610 times
Reputation: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Absolutely, but to read her response and interpret it as Irish are to blame for the racism and then jump to, you're saying I'm racist because I'm Irish? Is beyond ridiculous.
I'll say maybe what I read is not what was intended. But I don't think its beyond ridiculous. It was a thread on Why is Boston famous for its racism and then somebody started a post with "The Irish." period end of sentence. So I took it as the Irish are the cause of the racism.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2017, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
7,088 posts, read 10,828,939 times
Reputation: 5619
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I'll say maybe what I read is not what was intended. But I don't think its beyond ridiculous. It was a thread on Why is Boston famous for its racism and then somebody started a post with "The Irish." period end of sentence. So I took it as the Irish are the cause of the racism.
Maybe I'm reading wrong as well but I had the same interpretation as you did.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2017, 07:35 PM
 
Location: North Jackson
1,867 posts, read 2,979,013 times
Reputation: 2379
https://goo.gl/images/UdwEJo
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Boston
1,140 posts, read 863,206 times
Reputation: 1192
No the perception IS that Irish people are racist. This comes from the 1970s/80s. IN the 1860s/1870 the WASPS cities every where were anti-immigrant period. Whether it was the Germans, Irish, or later on the Italians, Poles and Jews This " Irish were oppressed narrative" is not unique to the Irish *big eye roll* and only people in Boston think it is...
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top