U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 11:12 AM

7,860 posts, read 6,812,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
IN the 1860s/1870 the WASPS cities every where were anti-immigrant period. Whether it was the Germans, Irish, or later on the Italians, Poles and Jews This " Irish were oppressed narrative" is not unique to the Irish *big eye roll* and only people in Boston think it is...
Pretty awful comparison, as the major waves of immigration of these groups don't correlate with the Irish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 11:31 AM

14,945 posts, read 16,534,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I'll say maybe what I read is not what was intended. But I don't think its beyond ridiculous. It was a thread on Why is Boston famous for its racism and then somebody started a post with "The Irish." period end of sentence. So I took it as the Irish are the cause of the racism.
So you admit you read two (2) words of a much longer and detailed post and used those two (2) words to form a wildly ignorant judgement on the intention of the piece, and furthermore the result of said judgement was a deep and visceral feeling of being personally offended?

Old 11-02-2017, 11:47 AM

1,323 posts, read 676,623 times
Holy Crap am I taking crazy pills.

Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77
I mean, the city of perceived to me a very racist city. Is it overblown or sensationalist?

The Irish. Huge history there with the Irish. As victims of "racism", when they arrived as indentured servants, to when they managed to claw their way into a semblance of the middle class, through unions that they manage to control for awhile, and beyond.

This is the actual conversation. So it was it was The Irish followed by some reasons why they're racist.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:00 PM

32,730 posts, read 22,676,881 times
Quote:
Holy Crap am I taking crazy pills.

Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77
I mean, the city of perceived to me a very racist city. Is it overblown or sensationalist?

The Irish. Huge history there with the Irish. As victims of "racism", when they arrived as indentured servants, to when they managed to claw their way into a semblance of the middle class, through unions that they manage to control for awhile, and beyond.

This is the actual conversation. So it was it was The Irish followed by some reasons why they're racist.

Ok, I think the problem is just a lack of understanding on how message boards work. She wasn't responding to the header (which you posted), nor the intro statement (which was different), but to a specific, much later, comment in the middle of the conversation. What you just posted above, was NOT the actual conversation.

So, you're not crazy, you just don't get how message board conversations work. Not everything is responding to the header. That is especially clear when they quote the piece they are responding to, or augmenting.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Ok, I think the problem is just a lack of understanding on how message boards work. She wasn't responding to the header (which you posted), nor the intro statement (which was different), but to a specific, much later, comment in the middle of the conversation. What you just posted above, was NOT the actual conversation.

So, you're not crazy, you just don't get how message board conversations work. Not everything is responding to the header. That is especially clear when they quote the piece they are responding to, or augmenting.
No I posted the quote and the quote it was responding to. Its very literally word for word. Do you understand how message boards work? Somebody types something and then somebody responds.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:06 PM

People usually don't resort to name calling unless they can't argue the actual point.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
No I posted the quote and the quote it was responding to. Its very literally word for word. Do you understand how message boards work? Somebody types something and then somebody responds.

Right, they weren't responding to the title. They were responding to the conversation.
Exactly. They never BLAMED the Irish or said that all Irish are racist.\

Now that we got that covered... lets move on.

Quote:
People usually don't resort to name calling unless they can't argue the actual point.

Good thing there was no name calling in this thread. So, again, no idea where this would come from!

Old 11-02-2017, 12:21 PM

So the statement was I mean, the city of perceived to me a very racist city. Is it overblown or sensationalist?

And the response was The Irish

And you don't think it was blaming the Irish?

Old 11-02-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:

And you don't think it was blaming the Irish?

Clearly it was not.

And even more clearly, it wasn't saying all Irish, including you (and me) are racist, which was your next jump:

Quote:
WTF? so I'm now racist cause I'm Irish?

BJimmy summed it up as to the intent:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Yep, she was saying that the history of people's perception of Boston as a racist city goes way further back than the 60s or 70s, probably to the 1860s and 1870s with the treatment of the Irish. This does not actually accuse the Irish of being racist, but the opposite; they were probably the first group in the city to have been the victims of racism. .
It was to the history of the perception.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:26 PM

The previous quote wasn't What football team plays in South Bend or What nationality is Liam Neeson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or