Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 12:29 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times

Advertisements

Sigh, if you want to be offended, go ahead and be offended. It is your right. This is silly.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:31 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Clearly it was not.

And even more clearly, it wasn't saying all Irish, including you (and me) are racist, which was your next jump:

BJimmy summed it up as to the intent:

It was to the history of the perception.

That is absolutely you interpretation. I'm reading a quote and you are interpreting you're own thoughts on that quote.

So The Irish isn't all Irish, who is it talking about then, that's your interpretation. Is one guy in West Roxbury "The Irish"

Old 11-02-2017, 07:28 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Ruth4Truth has no idea the trouble she has caused!

Old 11-02-2017, 09:52 PM

981 posts, read 899,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
Absolutely, positively this.

The story of the Irish in these parts doesn't differ much from others' stories re arriving in this area. Back then it was more ethnic wars than racism. I remember my mother telling me in the town where she grew up, those of a particular ethnicity lived here, another ethnicity lived there, while another neighborhood was "mixed" and nobody from the first two would ever set foot there. Nor would anyone living in the first two dare trespass into each other's enclave.

There's also the "distrusting of outsiders" trait. Some ethnic groups are better known for this than others.
I would agree with this ethnic wars statement. My Lithuanian grandfather who lived in Dorchester (a Lithuanian haven until the 70s) would always rant about how horrible the Irish were (throwing rocks, getting jumped and beat up) if they ever stepped foot in Southie. He kept up these rants his whole life and would love to tell these stories at holiday parties to try to incite my other Irish grandfather. Nothing would change his mind, not even his half Irish grandchildren. Everyone he ever discussed had their ethnicity / race attached when he mentioned the name, no exception, and it was very much an us v. all of them mentality. He did not have one friend that was not Lithuanian, and they were very social people that hung out only at the "Lithy Club". Of course he applied this to black people as well, but he didnt dislike them more than any other group - he disliked everyone that wasnt Lithuanian. However, he did have a special place of hatred in his heart that was held exclusively for the Irish, probably because they ruled politics and the unions during this time period.
- oh and because he claimed they threw rocks at him .

Last edited by klaucka; 11-02-2017 at 10:05 PM..

Old 11-03-2017, 09:04 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Pretty awful comparison, as the major waves of immigration of these groups don't correlate with the Irish.
I don't even know what this means...can you explain?

Old 11-04-2017, 12:31 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Default re: ruthfortruths irish statement.

i give her the benefit of the doubt since she i one of a dozen or so good posters (opposed to the thousand other trolls on this site). several responding to this thread are part of those dozen that i try to rep as often as i can.

but re-reading it i kinda' see the-generals point of view. perhaps she'll come back and expand...

Old 11-04-2017, 01:24 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i thought she was saying that the irish were originally marginalized by society.
Yeah, big time! How was that not clear? Before Black slavery was "invented", the Irish were in that role. The reason color-coded slavery was invented, was because when the Irish servants escaped, they were too hard to identify in a crowd, because they blended in. So somebody had the "bright idea" ( ) of importing free, forced labor of a clearly distinguishable race.

Eventually, the Irish were able to "move on up", and shed some of the stigma of their past. But not entirely (until more recent times), as the Kennedy candidacy for President demonstrated, loud and clear. The whole debate was couched in terms of concern over a "Catholic" gaining the Presidency, but many people (especially, I assume, the Irish) knew what "Catholic" was code for. Even in my lifetime, some of Canada's Irish were still in the role of house-servants.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:31 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No the perception IS that Irish people are racist. This comes from the 1970s/80s. IN the 1860s/1870 the WASPS cities every where were anti-immigrant period. Whether it was the Germans, Irish, or later on the Italians, Poles and Jews This " Irish were oppressed narrative" is not unique to the Irish *big eye roll* and only people in Boston think it is...
That's true, Italianswrre lynched in New Orleans and almost cause a war, and my grandfather was told never to speajItaluan in Public. However none of that is unique to Boston.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:24 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
I mean, the city of perceived to me a very racist city. Is it overblown or sensationalist?
Stirring up the marshmallows again.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:43 AM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
I am not saying that racism doesn't exist here, but on the other hand, it exists everywhere. As far as the great fame of Boston as the most racist place on earth though - can't say I am aware of that fame or that I put much stock in it. Anecdotes, even if perfectly true, are kind of meaningless when you're trying to describe a society as a whole, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston