U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 06:51 PM

7,039 posts, read 6,732,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Of course its The Boston Globe.. The paper that tells half a story and infers the Kennedys are Gods messengers to earth .
Not to mention their endless hypocrisy and double standards...

Reporter at Center of Globe In-House Sexual Harassment Story Identified | NewBostonPost
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 02:59 PM
miu

16,503 posts, read 33,474,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
this is a pretty good series:
Color line persists, in sickness as in health - The Boston Globe

it practically says that boston has a lot of socio-economic disparities (not the worst; but def not the best).
The week long Boston Globe Spotlight series on racism in Boston greatly angered me. Boston is no more racist than any other major US city. I think that because Boston has institutions like Harvard and MIT, and being such a blue state, it bothers liberals that we aren't a perfect harmonious area of complete utopian diversity. IMO liberals have an extremely unrealistic view of the world and how it should be run.

One of Boston's problems is that for such a major and significant US city, we are on such a small scrap of land with no place to expand to. Boston's success causes too many people and companies wanting to be in the area, and that causes enormous stresses to the population here. And I don't think that most want to change the landscape of this great city and turn every block into giant towers of offices and apartment buildings. And I think that the same sentiment goes for the other cities and towns in the Metro Boston area.

And I don't think that Boston has a problem with racism, but Bostonian liberals have a heart attack anytime the N-word is uttered, even though blacks use that work all of the time. As to income disparity, it's more that certain cultures and lifestyles are not compatible with the current competitive nature of the Boston economic climate. I work with an extremely diverse company, and the fact is, the minorities I work with just aren't interested in achieving academic skills and turning them into a high-paying career. They don't care about learning to code, they don't push their children to learn those sorts of skills either. However, of the recent immigrants, they are happy enough to be living in the US and not in their home country (South Americans, Haitians, etc...). And of the young blacks I work with, they aren't all that ambitious either. One young black woman thought it no big deal to become a baby momma at the age of 19. But on the plus side, they will never turn into workaholics and will always take the time to enjoy life (non-work related activities). On the negative side, they will always be on the lower end of the economic scale... and that's through no fault of whitey. (Btw I make more than most of my co-workers, because I work extra hours for OT and for other companies on the side.)

And the US will always have large income disparity as long as there is a welfare system that rewards the lazy and also having the willingness to take in every stray immigrant and refugee with a hard luck story. And that's all well and good, but there is no fast track for under-educated, non-fluent English speaking immigrants to getting middle class wages and being a homeowner, especially not in the Boston area.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:11 PM

32,794 posts, read 22,758,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And the US will always have large income disparity as long as there is a welfare system that rewards the lazy and also having the willingness to take in every stray immigrant and refugee with a hard luck story. And that's all well and good, but there is no fast track for under-educated, non-fluent English speaking immigrants to getting middle class wages and being a homeowner, especially not in the Boston area.

The biggest welfare system in the U.S. is to the ultra wealthy. Our safety net is very modest. We don't take in every stray immigrant, its quite tough to get here.

I won't even address your other horrible points denigrating black people.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:46 PM

487 posts, read 362,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The biggest welfare system in the U.S. is to the ultra wealthy. Our safety net is very modest. We don't take in every stray immigrant, its quite tough to get here.

I won't even address your other horrible points denigrating black people.
It might be “modest” in other places, but if you’re a part of the generationally poor living in one of the nicer, newer housing developments in Boston you’re essentially getting an equivalent of a six figure salary just from free rent and free insurance. A large renovated three bedroom townhouse in South End or Mission Hill and health insurance for a family of three will easily run you $4-5K/month.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:11 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

I won't even address your other horrible points denigrating the chronically poor black people.
I see what I see, and hear what I hear at work. And yes, I do try to encourage the young black people to put their energies towards acquiring better job skills and academic knowledge, but they just aren't interested. And another aspect of them holding themselves back is their persistence in speaking in ebonics, and the women spent all kinds of money on ridiculous hair weaves and extensions. And of the successful blacks I have encountered, they are very well spoken, well educated, properly dressed and liked by all. Basically, blacks who are like the Cosby family on tv or the Obamas, have no problems being accepted and doing well anywhere. Otherwise, if they keep their ghetto styling and speak, well that is going to hold them back. And for white people, those who speak like a hill billy or with a Southie accent, just aren't going to be as respected by others.

And being able to speak "business English" is important for success in any high paying career (except in the music biz or professional sports), whether it's in the US or the rest of the world... in the sciences, law or business. Speaking in slang is fine for between friends, but totally inappropriate in a non-minimum wage workplace.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:46 AM

9,871 posts, read 8,031,389 times
The reputation may be based on the sad history, 1974-88, of busing school kids and the opposition to it. I lived in Boston in Back Bay (Exeter Street) in the late 40s and early 50s before I moved to Southborough. I was pretty young, but I distinctly remember that my little rat pack of overly-entitled kids also consisted a black kid from the Prince School. He was quick of mind and hand. We learned a lot from him.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:53 AM

1,105 posts, read 440,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And being able to speak "business English" is important for success in any high paying career (except in the music biz or professional sports), whether it's in the US or the rest of the world... in the sciences, law or business. Speaking in slang is fine for between friends, but totally inappropriate in a non-minimum wage workplace.
This is exactly correct. For all races. I grew up with some white people with really ridiculous Boston accents. I mean we all had them, But when i entered the business world I learned fast that this lingo doesn't work in a board meeting. If I chose to keep this accent due to my pride and acted like I just got out of bar, I would not be where I am today in the career I chose. I don't know why that is hard to see. It has less to do with race and more to do with assimilating to what the culture of that world. I'm sure i would get laughed out of most tough guy gangster circles with my mediocre vocabulary and reading comprehension.... I'm okay with that.
I have worked with many black people who were keen to this and were my peers. Some of which i have learned valuable skills from.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:40 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
This is exactly correct. For all races. I grew up with some white people with really ridiculous Boston accents. I mean we all had them, But when i entered the business world I learned fast that this lingo doesn't work in a board meeting. If I chose to keep this accent due to my pride and acted like I just got out of bar, I would not be where I am today in the career I chose. I don't know why that is hard to see. It has less to do with race and more to do with assimilating to what the culture of that world. I'm sure i would get laughed out of most tough guy gangster circles with my mediocre vocabulary and reading comprehension.... I'm okay with that.
I have worked with many black people who were keen to this and were my peers. Some of which i have learned valuable skills from.
Thank you for your post.

I find it interesting how blacks and Hispanics in lower skilled jobs cling to their cultural accents (and making no effort to improve their speaking skills). But the successful blacks and Hispanics (and other immigrants) are the ones that dress professionally, have good etiquette, and speak proper English. Of those who cling to their roots, I think that it's part of a rebellious attitude that thinks it would be a betrayal to give up their street culture and therefore giving in to "the man". They don't want to become "Uncle Toms" and to assimilate into what they see as white culture. And that is why I tell BLM supporters that in order to have real change for the good, the black community needs more black male police officers and school teachers. The black community needs more strong good male role models.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:50 AM
miu

And back to Boston racism, I find that Yankees are very outspoken. We don't hold back what's on our mind. Maybe we need to think before we speak. That said, IMO there is some amount of racism everywhere in the US and the world. And while many many never speak their truth thoughts in public, the racial thoughts are there, and sometimes just passing thoughts due to frustration and anger (at sporting events, heavy traffic situations).

I found that during my road trips in the south, the people in GA and TX were all Bible inspired polite with many "god bless you" thrown in. But it was all fake polite. And it was in GA and TX that I frequently heard the request/expression "can I Jew you down" at the flea markets.

And it will always be human nature to have pride in ones roots and culture and to think that oneself and ways is better than those from a differing background. So yes, there will always be racism. And we can all co-exist well, until there are stresses over limited resources (the best public schools, jobs) or in the heat of watching team sports.

And the N-word will never truly go away until blacks stop using the word themselves.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:18 PM

4,145 posts, read 1,739,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
It might be “modest” in other places, but if you’re a part of the generationally poor living in one of the nicer, newer housing developments in Boston you’re essentially getting an equivalent of a six figure salary just from free rent and free insurance. A large renovated three bedroom townhouse in South End or Mission Hill and health insurance for a family of three will easily run you $4-5K/month.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or