U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 09:17 AM

3,608 posts, read 1,521,559 times

Advertisements

I think the reason racism here gets so much attention is because for a century and a half the people of the Northeast have been congratulating themselves for coming down on the right side of the Civil War; so when events show that the holier than thou aren't necessarily all that holy, reactions are strong.

In the meantime, people in the South have worked on dealing with the facts of the matter and improving situations for people of all races; yes, often with opposition; but in general making progress. In the NE, the denial that there was a problem has led to situations that many times are worse than in the South where the problem couldn't be denied or ignored.

It also seems to me that most of the time if you scratch a white ethnic Catholic you quickly uncover an anti-Semite, whereas the Hispanic Catholics I've known don't really have much of an opinion about Jewish people at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 07:46 PM

280 posts, read 269,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And back to Boston racism, I find that Yankees are very outspoken. We don't hold back what's on our mind. Maybe we need to think before we speak. That said, IMO there is some amount of racism everywhere in the US and the world. And while many many never speak their truth thoughts in public, the racial thoughts are there, and sometimes just passing thoughts due to frustration and anger (at sporting events, heavy traffic situations).

I found that during my road trips in the south, the people in GA and TX were all Bible inspired polite with many "god bless you" thrown in. But it was all fake polite. And it was in GA and TX that I frequently heard the request/expression "can I Jew you down" at the flea markets.

And it will always be human nature to have pride in ones roots and culture and to think that oneself and ways is better than those from a differing background. So yes, there will always be racism. And we can all co-exist well, until there are stresses over limited resources (the best public schools, jobs) or in the heat of watching team sports.

And the N-word will never truly go away until blacks stop using the word themselves.
Your post's are so stupid I had to take the bait and respond. So, white people created a hateful word and used it. They still use it when no black people who will challenge them are around for fun. But in your world once black people stop using it it will go away? Wow! PLEASE explain that again? What is this great company busting with equality that you speak of?

Old 12-23-2017, 03:29 AM

24,738 posts, read 26,810,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
We don't take in every stray immigrant, its quite tough to get here
Oh really? What do you call the millions who come here illegally? No other country on the planet (at least no other 1st world country) would tolerate the levels of illegal immigration that we've had in America for the last 40 years. Sure, it's tough to get here legally. But the liberal media loves to gloss over that trivial detail of those who come here legally vs. those who don't. They love to castigate anyone who doesn't agree with illegal immigration as racist, haters, etc. So, yes, I do think the comment about America taking in "every stray immigrant" is pretty close to the truth.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:31 AM

24,738 posts, read 26,810,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I see what I see, and hear what I hear at work. And yes, I do try to encourage the young black people to put their energies towards acquiring better job skills and academic knowledge, but they just aren't interested. And another aspect of them holding themselves back is their persistence in speaking in ebonics, and the women spent all kinds of money on ridiculous hair weaves and extensions. And of the successful blacks I have encountered, they are very well spoken, well educated, properly dressed and liked by all. Basically, blacks who are like the Cosby family on tv or the Obamas, have no problems being accepted and doing well anywhere. Otherwise, if they keep their ghetto styling and speak, well that is going to hold them back.
This black guy pretty much said the same thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYcTZD-IkgQ

Old 12-23-2017, 02:31 PM

32,748 posts, read 22,697,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Oh really? What do you call the millions who come here illegally? No other country on the planet (at least no other 1st world country) would tolerate the levels of illegal immigration that we've had in America for the last 40 years. Sure, it's tough to get here legally. But the liberal media loves to gloss over that trivial detail of those who come here legally vs. those who don't. They love to castigate anyone who doesn't agree with illegal immigration as racist, haters, etc. So, yes, I do think the comment about America taking in "every stray immigrant" is pretty close to the truth.

What millions coming here illegally?

Since when is coming here without proper visas (most people coming do have proper visas) considered being "taken in"? If I enter your house without an invite, are you taking me in? Get real and lose your bizarre agenda.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
This black guy pretty much said the same thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYcTZD-IkgQ
You found a black person to say it, so it MUST be true. Just like every time a successful black person says racism is over because they were allowed to become successful proves that there is no more systemic racism! Man, you all in this thread are really proving reality wrong! The 40 million black people with all those stories about their realities must just be all the black people on drugs.

I'll spell out that this is sarcasm because we clearly have a good collection of people so ignorant they might take the above as support.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I'm so glad you posted this so we know it's not just black people!

Old 01-29-2018, 06:18 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,626,068 times
Here's another anecdote. I just spent the weekend in Boston. The native Bostonian (?) sitting next to me on the plane was very nice, talkative, and helpful to me. White guy...I'm half white/half black. This was only my 2nd time on the East Coast (1st time was a couple months ago in Maine). I live in Texas & I'm from Seattle. I had the idea that Boston was probably kind of racist. Not sure why necessarily. But guy on the plane helped dispel that. Not that I expected to be treated badly or something, but I didn't exactly picture any native Boston people engaging me on a flight when no one really does, not matter where I travel.

And less than 24 hours into the trip, I noticed 4 white man/black woman couples. That was a little surprising to me. I really don't have much input, other than this Boston reputation that rang true for me is not necessarily the reality, at least now. Maybe I needed to spend more time there, but my first impression was good & a little unexpected.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:52 AM

2,545 posts, read 4,857,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
Here's another anecdote. I just spent the weekend in Boston. The native Bostonian (?) sitting next to me on the plane was very nice, talkative, and helpful to me. White guy...I'm half white/half black. This was only my 2nd time on the East Coast (1st time was a couple months ago in Maine). I live in Texas & I'm from Seattle. I had the idea that Boston was probably kind of racist. Not sure why necessarily. But guy on the plane helped dispel that. Not that I expected to be treated badly or something, but I didn't exactly picture any native Boston people engaging me on a flight when no one really does, not matter where I travel.

And less than 24 hours into the trip, I noticed 4 white man/black woman couples. That was a little surprising to me. I really don't have much input, other than this Boston reputation that rang true for me is not necessarily the reality, at least now. Maybe I needed to spend more time there, but my first impression was good & a little unexpected.
I'm genuinely surprised people are surprised by this.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:39 PM

4 posts, read 3,553 times
Default "famous"

Explains the fame:

1. Boston Busing Desegregation 1970's or 80's made national news. (see youtube)
2. Gangster Movies. 1940's probably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or