U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 03:20 PM

5,292 posts, read 5,275,867 times

Advertisements

Oh! I hadn't known this bit of information. Thank You for sharing. The Godfather was considered racist by some folks, but it was still a great ass film!!! Lol! In all honesty, I do comprehend what you're saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Racist Movie
NAACP, Police Association Blast 'Patriots Day' Movie for Failing to Recognize Slain Black Officer - Atlanta Black Star

https://mic.com/articles/165539/naac...cer#.12CBEU2bX

They left out the Black officer that lost his life, even from the ROLLING CREDITS. EVEN THOUGH HIS FAMILY ASKED THAT HE BE IN IT.

Again, racist culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 03:22 PM

Are you talking about Blue Hill Avenue the film starring Allen Payne?

Quote:
Blue Hill Ave (Ididnt think anyone here would know that, also it was shot in Vancouver and without local landmarks so it fell short for me ), Squeeze and to a lesser extent there was a Tyler Perry movie set on Martha's Vineyard about 5 years ago. But that's it in like all time history..

Report: Boston Ranks No. 1 For City Income Inequality | WBUR News most Unequal city

Old 05-03-2017, 03:25 PM

In that film about Whitey Bulger, they hit on that forced Boston busing crisis I remembering see a serious documentary on this a few years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
You beat me to it. I grew up in the Boston area and the first thing that comes to mind when the words "Boston" and "racism" are said together is the UGLY attitudes and violence that arose when busing started. Front page headlines and photos of the ugliness, over and over again over the days, weeks, months, years. Reporters at the Globe from those days probably have them etched into their mind's eye forever.

It made me ashamed then, and it shouldn't be buried under piles of feel-good stories, because the potential for that kind of ugliness lies oh, so barely under the veneer of civility. Mob mentality and Us vs Them attitudes are dormant in so many people, in so many places, involving all shades of color, income, religion, political preferences, and more classifications that separate humans. Sometimes the divisions are not even true--they might be nothing more than assumptions made about an unfamiliar person.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:26 PM

626 posts, read 951,420 times
Quote:
Blue Hill Ave (Ididnt think anyone here would know that, also it was shot in Vancouver and without local landmarks so it fell short for me ), Squeeze and to a lesser extent there was a Tyler Perry movie set on Martha's Vineyard about 5 years ago. But that's it in like all time history..

Report: Boston Ranks No. 1 For City Income Inequality | WBUR News most Unequal city
Fair enough. It's surprising because Boston has had Roxbury, which was the historical equivalent to Harlem in NYC.

Thanks for the WBUR link -- eye opening for sure.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:48 PM

11,488 posts, read 5,511,317 times
The TV miniseries, Common Ground, (based on the J. Anthony Lukas book) had some scenes that were filmed in Boston. The most puzzling one (people who never lived in Boston wouldn't have noticed this) was when the girl from Roxbury was being bused to high school in Charlestown. The school bus was driving over the Tobin Bridge as if it was coming from Chelsea.

J. Anthony Lukas, Common Ground: A Turbulent Decade in the Lives of Three American Families (1985) - A Companion to Post-1945 America - Brinkley - Wiley Online Library

I was living in the Boston 'burbs when the whole METCO thing was happening. People were freaking out about it in the town I lived in. In the end, it turned out that the town didn't participate in the program.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:09 PM

3,268 posts, read 2,195,046 times
What name was adam jones called on monday night? The news keeps saying racial slur.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:02 PM

3,561 posts, read 1,820,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
What name was adam jones called on monday night? The news keeps saying racial slur.
Does it really matter? But if you need to know, he's a black man and the usual phrase was used. Begins with an N.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:07 PM

Ok wasnt sure...i know anything is bad...but the N word is the worst.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:26 PM

600 posts, read 529,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
I would venture to guess that this reputation goes back to the bussing days. Boston made national headlines for this in the 70s and the reputation never went away.
In addition, Mass. is very racially and economically segregated. It is slowly improving, but the pace is much slower than other areas of the country. This segregation does nothing to help people understand others who are different from them and can insulate those individuals who foster ignorant beliefs.
This is pretty much it. As an anecdote, and I know it seems silly. But I remember on being on reddit a while ago, and there this site where you can put record yourself to get an idea of what locals sound like. The site got taken over by trolls eventually with people saying lots of silly and offensive stuff. When I headed over to the Boston section for whatever reason, it was filled with racist trolling. Way more than I saw in the other city sections. Obviously not the best evidence, but something that made me think a little. I do like Boston and Mass, and have a great deal of respect for the place. That's why I wish its something the city would acknowledge and hopefully fix.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:29 PM

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston...low%3Afacebook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or