U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 12:45 PM

32,722 posts, read 22,676,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
well I am from here originally and I didnt even know this about the red sox. Sorry but I dont think this is contributing to racism.

I would think southern states have far more issues than boston due to slavery and segregation issues from the 60s.

I never said it was contributing to racism. It's the perception, and that's what we're discussing. You seem to have it in your head that if it isn't part of your life span it isn't a major factor. Nothing could be further from the truth. Community history is a powerful force. For example, very very few people are around from when Quabbin was made and communities evacuated and drowned, and a huge chunk of the people in the area of North Quabbin now weren't even from that area originally, yet that "tale" and suspicion of the DCR and state government from that incident runs VERY deeply in the community, it has been passed along from generation to newcomer to generation. It is very real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 01:16 PM

17,572 posts, read 21,756,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
I mean, the city of perceived to me a very racist city. Is it overblown or sensationalist?
The school busing riots of the 1970s.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:41 PM

6,980 posts, read 6,700,483 times
People fail to acknowledge that every major city had segregated schools, and that Boston was singled out with forced bussing. It was political payback by the Nixon administration. So yes, there is a political association there. Most racists I know of from the Boston area are liberal Democrats. This seemed to change with Obama, although in some cases the party loyalty continued.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:45 PM

32,722 posts, read 22,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
People fail to acknowledge that every major city had segregated schools, and that Boston was singled out with forced bussing. It was political payback by the Nixon administration. So yes, there is a political association there. Most racists I know of from the Boston area are liberal Democrats. This seemed to change with Obama, although in some cases the party loyalty continued.

What makes you think they're liberal democrats and not just democrats?

Old 05-04-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What makes you think they're liberal democrats and not just democrats?
On the issues. Pro-union, anti-corporation, defenders of the safety net, for legalization and universal healthcare, etc.

A few even hated Reagan, who even most Democrats supported at the time.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:59 PM

7,070 posts, read 10,814,553 times
Quote:
The problem that existed was unequal funding of the schools, not segregation, per se. Judge Garrity's solution was to desegregate the schools.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The problem that existed was unequal funding of the schools, not segregation, per se. Judge Garrity's solution was to desegregate the schools.
True, but that also existed in nearly every other city. Boston WAS singled out as political payback, which is partially why there was so much hostilty at the time, and why so much bitterness remained for so long. Also, Eastie was spared due to threats from the mob. This did not go over well with the rest of the city, particularly Southie. It's a big part of the animosity between the Irish and Italians.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:29 AM

5,292 posts, read 5,275,867 times
I used to look at Common Ground! Very interesting program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
The TV miniseries, Common Ground, (based on the J. Anthony Lukas book) had some scenes that were filmed in Boston. The most puzzling one (people who never lived in Boston wouldn't have noticed this) was when the girl from Roxbury was being bused to high school in Charlestown. The school bus was driving over the Tobin Bridge as if it was coming from Chelsea.

J. Anthony Lukas, Common Ground: A Turbulent Decade in the Lives of Three American Families (1985) - A Companion to Post-1945 America - Brinkley - Wiley Online Library

I was living in the Boston 'burbs when the whole METCO thing was happening. People were freaking out about it in the town I lived in. In the end, it turned out that the town didn't participate in the program.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:35 AM

Quote:
People fail to acknowledge that every major city had segregated schools, and that Boston was singled out with forced bussing. It was political payback by the Nixon administration.
*Hmmmmm... This is a very interesting comment. I've heard this before and how Boston was used as "political payback" by the Nixon administration. There are few books I'm trying to find out the forced busing in Boston.

Quote:

Old 05-05-2017, 04:44 AM

Yeah, I was told the food is pretty good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Whalburgers is pretty good. On par with other burger chains like tasty burger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or