Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2017, 09:43 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Since when did being liberal mean you could not be racist. I must have missed the e-mail on that.
Yeah this is mystifying and shows a huge ignorance if the history and ideas behind the origins of the progressive movement and democratic party.

Puzzling indeed. I for one am 100% not surprised that the most racist cities today are liberal ones.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:53 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Boston is a very very strange place when it comes to race relations and race relations with Black Athletes.

They did this to Jones, but what color was David Ortiz (who's probably their most popular modern jock after Brady)?

The Red Sox were the last team to integrate and Bill Russell loved his team but hated living there since the racism was so bad.

However the Bruins had the first NHL Black Player who, while he had a very short stay, never had a racial problem with their fans in Boston.

Sounds Bipolar ��
The Boston Braves were the 6th MLB team to integrate.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:31 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Yeah this is mystifying and shows a huge ignorance if the history and ideas behind the origins of the progressive movement and democratic party.

Puzzling indeed. I for one am 100% not surprised that the most racist cities today are liberal ones.

Where do you get this tidbit?

Old 05-07-2017, 12:09 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The Boston Braves were the 6th MLB team to integrate.
And today they are the Atlanta Braves.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Where do you get this tidbit?
That is what I'm wondering. I know Boston votes Democratic alot. I also know has a history checkered in racial tensions/racial violence. Truth is, most cities vote Democrat often. That is a large city for you. To say "liberals are the true racists" is a joke to me. I have been to liberal areas and conservative areas. I've experienced plenty of my fair share of racism in conservative areas.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:21 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is what I'm wondering. I know Boston votes Democratic alot. I also know has a history checkered in racial tensions/racial violence. Truth is, most cities vote Democrat often. That is a large city for you. To say "liberals are the true racists" is a joke to me. I have been to liberal areas and conservative areas. I've experienced plenty of my fair share of racism in conservative areas.
In my own experience, within the Boston area most racists are liberals/Democrats.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
In my own experience, within the Boston area most racists are liberals/Democrats.
In my experience, the majority of openly bigoted/racist people I've run into are conservatives/Republicans. This is what I've experienced living in Georgia.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:14 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In my experience, the majority of openly bigoted/racist people I've run into are conservatives/Republicans. This is what I've experienced living in Georgia.

I've spent time in the Savannah area, and there DOES seem to be a pretty big divide there.

But in comparing major cities, I've heard Atlanta is less racist and segregated than Boston.

This was my experience in the Nashville, TN area as well. That is a left leaning city, but surrounded by a pretty conservative metro area. Keeping in mind that racism is not exclusive to the "open" variety, that being said I saw less of this type down there as well. Far more integration and prevalence of interracial families and other relationships, which Boston still has a tough time with.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I've spent time in the Savannah area, and there DOES seem to be a pretty big divide there.

But in comparing major cities, I've heard Atlanta is less racist and segregated than Boston.

This was my experience in the Nashville, TN area as well. That is a left leaning city, but surrounded by a pretty conservative metro area. Keeping in mind that racism is not exclusive to the "open" variety, that being said I saw less of this type down there as well. Far more integration and prevalence of interracial families and other relationships, which Boston still has a tough time with.
The city proper, I've never had problems in Atlanta or Nashville proper. Where I've had problems at are in the outskirts of metro Atlanta, the more exurban areas. Places where there are people still flying Confederate flags. Places with a large redneck dynamic. That is where I've gotten the most open racism. Much of it from conservatives.

I've also dealt with racism from other minorities. Most notably, I worked in a restaurant that had a mostly Hispanic staff. I dealt with racial bullying on the job.

Where I've seen some covert racism is in places that are conservative, and middle upper class. More of the "snob" variety. No name calling, but more subtle stuff.

Atlanta proper, and the places near the Perimeter, no issues. Places further out, some problems.
Why Boston is having problems, I don't know.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:51 PM

636 posts, read 705,521 times
I attended a over 75% minority Boston area public school some decades ago now.
One 12yo 7th grader, quiet, introverted, white, blonde hair girl had to be transferred to another school because notes were being passed around she was going to be killed.
White students had to take the pubic buses to school and home because they would be attacked , ;ganged up on' in the school buses. Girls assaulted, physically,and sexually.
7th and 8th grade White girls had minority adult 'boyfriends' ---Pedophiles, but no adult dared say anything.
Holiday time. The written School Hallway policy were student pictures and drawings of; Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Buddhism, Islam,etc were allowed to be posted. The following student pictures and drawings were NOT allowed:The word Christmas. Christmas tree,Santa Claus.

I could go on and on and on, but you get the point.

Last edited by wror; 05-07-2017 at 02:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston